Quest for the fastest SS

OK guys here is the deal. What do you think it would cost to get this truck in the 12's without N2O or a supercharger? I am talking Cam, Heads, that sort of thing. What do you think would have to be done to get this truck anywhere near that time? I think i would rather go that route and then SUPERCHARGE it!!! :D

I am just curious to see what would have to happen. Over on LS1Tech I see a bunch of NA trucks with some impressive times. It would be nice to have a 12 second NA truck.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's certainly going to need a cam and ported heads along with some long tubes and 3000 stall. along with pulley, programming, cold air kit, exhaust, etc. pretty much every bolt on along with tuning should get 12's. more than 12's will require nos, blower, or more cubic inches.

I think even with that list, it may be hard. I think it would be fun to see. It would be close. Pull it out and stroke it, no problem. Most of the trucks that you see on LS1 tech with those times are regular cab, 2wd, trucks. Some of them are stroked 408s, or so.

The biggest thing it would take is money. That's not going to come cheap. Do all of that and then supercharge, $10k easy. Take my word for it. ;)

that's exactly what I'm looking to do. 12's NA.

13, I think will be pretty easy.

stall, ls1edit, headers, intake and cutout and it should be close. I think those will be my first mods....

pulleys, TB, EWP and electric fans should be high 13's no problem.

cam and it should be mid/low 13's. heads hopefully will put it in the high 12's.

then 100 shot N20 to get low 12's.

that's my plan. I already have a 224/224 .539 114lsa XE lobe cam to put in it. :thumbs:

If it were me, I would wait for the EWP. The hp to dollar ratio is extemely bad to the tune of nearly $100 to 1hp. At least from what I've read about them. There are quite of few other things that will do more for you. I would make it my last mod.

A big difference would come if you could get some of the lead out the beast. These trucks aren't exactly light (as they are TRUCKS) but if you could shave a signifigant amount of weight out of it you'd see some gains in you quarter.

I think ViperKiller has been able to shed some weight. When ever Im able to get out to the track I figure I will be able to shave about 150 lbs by taking out the back seat, using lighter wheels and tires from my 2000 silverado, taking off the spare tire, and taking off the tailgate.

I gutted my camaro. I'm not going to do anything much for weight reduction on my Silverado. maybe take the tailgate and spare off at the track... that's probably it.

your right on the EWP though. I might not even do that mod at all since it isn't really proven it will hold up to daily driving yet.

I gutted my camaro.  I'm not going to do anything much for weight reduction on my Silverado.  maybe take the tailgate and spare off at the track... that's probably it.

your right on the EWP though.  I might not even do that mod at all since it isn't really proven it will hold up to daily driving yet.

Sorry to be asking, but what is EWP? :confused:

Just get you a 600 hp 427 C5-R motor and some race gas to feed the beast and then go out and run 12's and don't forget to get a couple of transmissions to go with it, so when you grenade them. Making a SS fast is like making a 300 lb fat kid fast, they're just too heavy. I'm not saying it can't be done, it will just take a lot more horsepower, money and stronger parts compared to almost any other vehicle on the road. It's cheaper and easier to make a one ton 4X4 diesel dually faster and they start off slower. Granted the SS is way cooler and it would be pretty cool to have a N/A 12 sec SS. Go for it!

Actually, you can stroke one of these motors to 408ci and spend about what I did for my Radix. Too many variables to figure, but not too far off. With an Eagle stroker crank, the entire rotating assembly, including main bearings, can be had for about $2400. Add in $3-6k for heads, block work, assembly, balancing, gaskets and bolts and reusing all of your other engine parts. It's not that far off. $6k value being the extreme with the heads, balance, and blueprint. Of couse, I'm sure I've left a few things off, and the tranny certainly wouldn't last very long in it's current form.

Didn't add in the tranny for the cost. Whether you're striving for 12s NA, supercharged, or with N2O, the stock tranny will eventually let go. So, no matter which route you take it will let go soon enough. That's the common denominator here, I think.

Archived