Am I getting ripped off?!

XSS

BigTex thanks for the info I called those guys $250.00 for install thats way better and they sound way more experienced. Only one problem they said they have done 15 LS6 cam swaps and they don't need to change the springs he says there is no bind and no other problems when you leave the stock springs. He also stated he has that cam in his 6.0 and has 60,000 miles with the cam in no problems.

So what does a guy do I guess more looking around.

Thanks everybody for the info

Well, you get to make the call. If you want upgraded springs, tell them to upgrade the springs.

In 2001, the LS6 cam had .525 lift. It came with upgraded springs. In 02+, the Z also has upgraded springs as well as lighter valves. I have heard of a few guys running lower lift cams, like the comp 212/218 .529 lift cam, with the stock springs. I guess the stock springs will handle the .52x lift. BUT, the stock springs will not have the pressure to close the valves fast enough at high rpms. This will cause valve float and drain potiential power in the upper rpms.

No way would I run the 02+ LS6 with stock springs. Just buy a set of 02+ LS6 springs, or comp 918s.

I do think that that shop can do the cam swap for you, just make sure they do the springs too.

Just springs. Retainers and keepers can be reused without issue.

Are you really budget minded? Have you considered one of the Comp 212/218 cams that are popular? I think you be happier with the comp over the LS6. You'll have more low end power with the comp.

I would not use the ZO6 cam with a stock torque converter it will be a dog out of the hole. Go with the Comp Cam ( can be ordered with the springs ) and you'll be much happier. If you plan on a torque converter swap then the ZO6 cam would be ok with a good stall to bring the motor up on the cam.

Also, with the 212/218 Comp cam you will not require any programming to be operational. It will improve with programming, but if you wanted to wait, you could.

:withstupid:

Same one I have. Very happy with the results.

Well at least until I take the plunge and fork out the $$$ for heads. Then it will be time to pull it out and get crazy. It is a never ending battle I always seem to lose. :D

Anyone wanting to buy that Comp 212/218 cam

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2453389055

That is being sold by Lingenfelter's shop in Indiana. Class A shop and seller. The cam looks very good in the pictures. I think its a good deal. Expect to pay $350+ new, and $400 retail.

To get the best perfornamce out of that LS6 cam, you should install an adjustable timing chain. That cam is retarded 2 degrees. That pushes power up higher and eats up the low end. If you advance it 4 degrees with a timing chain, you'd gain low end power, and not have to spin the cam as high to get to its peak. It will be worth the money.

Here is a good option:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=pr...=2267&pid=90939

Archived