Am I getting ripped off?!

XSS

Well, a local speed shop is going to charge me $2500 to install a cam and springs, and 4 dyno runs to tune it in. That price includes the cost of cam and springs. Does that seem right?

Looks like the dyno runs, tuning and labor is like $1800.

Comments? :confused:

Agree, way off. Approx $1500 in labor is WAY too much.

If you have just above basic tools, why not do yourself? Go to LS1howto.com and read the cam swap article. It's not that hard.

I would think that install costs should come under $500. Get the cam and springs yourself. Most shops make quite a bit of money off of parts sales alone.

:withstupid:

I aggree. Do the research and do it yourself. There are plenty of people on the board (myself included) that have done it and would be happy to help you out. Put all the money you will save towards more stuff for the truck and not in a mechanics pocket.

I was just curious if any of you guys tow with your trucks. I tow a race

car trailer that is approx. 5,000lbs. and was wandering if the towing

characteristics are still the same after the cam install. Is the low-end

torque the same?

thanks

Steve

How many hours are you guys saying on the cam install? My local shop is saying the book states 8 1/2 hrs and he is estimating $500 for install only and thats the cam only no springs. He says it does not need springs for the cam I'm getting, its a 2003 ZO6 cam .551 / .555 / 218 / 204 / 117.5 / 115/120

Does this sound right to you guys.

The part about not needing springs doesn't sound right. The time estimation, I'm sure, is taken out of a book and that's what you'll be charged probably, but it won't take that long with just the cam. That long with springs and cam maybe.

How many hours are you guys saying on the cam install? My local shop is saying the book states 8 1/2 hrs and he is estimating $500 for install only and thats the cam only no springs. He says it does not need springs for the cam I'm getting, its a 2003 ZO6 cam .551 / .555 / 218 / 204 / 117.5 / 115/120

Does this sound right to you guys.

I would walk away from that guy. If the cam you're looking at didn't need any springs, then the ls6 wouldn't need springs and GM could have used the stock ls1 springs. So that should tell you something. A good practice is, if you go over .500 and have the ls1/truck style engine, get some springs. The comp cam 918 springs or the ls6 springs will work fine with that setup.

A cam only should be about 225-350$ and takes about 3-4 hours depending on experience. The old school mechanics still don't know the lifters stay up in the bores on these GENIII engines and there is no need to remove the intake.

If you're going to use him, have him do the springs too, make sure he gives you the old ones and if you have time stay there and watch the install.

Sometimes mechanics are sneeky and cut corners. Not that I do, but I've have enuff bad experiences to know when something doesn't sound right.

I'm not trying to be negative either, do the cam and get more power, just watch out, most ppl don't take the time and a good mechanic is hard to find.

Does anyone else have the ls6 cam in their SS, did you loose any lowend, I know you loose some lowend on the non SS trucks?

good luck,

allen

I paid a performance shop to install a cam in my old truck. Labor was $250 with dyno pulls before and after, but no tuning. I brought in the parts.

I agree with farmtruc, if the shop gives you that kind of answer, then don't use them. If they are familiar with the LS1, then they would know about the spring install.

Where are you from? I bet we can point you to a LS1 experienced shop nearby.

Archived