Tires

sportjunkie

Does anyone have any suggestions on what tires to replace the crappy Goodyears? I have researched them and have come up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found some that are 305/50's. They are the same height, but are an inch wider. Will they fit the SS rims?

Thanks again.

Mainly sun and rain. We occasionally have snow and I frequent the mountains quite a bit. I also haul my boat back and forth to the lake. I want a tire that is great on dry and wet surfaces, that resists hydroplaning and can hold its on in the snow and ice. I know I am asking alot, but there has to be something better that the stock Goodyears. I am not a big fan of Goodyears anyway. I had them on my '01 Camero SS Conv. They stunk.

I would be careful as the stockers are close to the wheel well already. I am planning to go with the 22x10 chrome SS replica wheels, but I am worried about rubbing in the front...

Big blue, I have 305/40/22'z and the fit just fine, a little close on the front lower part of the bumper but thats about it, they work great

One of my LS tires went flat last week. When i took it to discount tire to fix flat found that i had 4" slice clear thru all belts. Had to replace tire. Tirerack had LS for $135 but I decided to spend $800 for 4 new Nitto NT404s. Have not told wife yet. I figure she won't notice 3 LS tires stacked in garage. Truck handles much better. You lose some comfort but upgrade is worth it if you enjoy attacking the curves or desire better steering response.

Even though my NT404 are 275/55/20 they appear to be smaller in diameter and width. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks. Will check new car lot for side by side comparison and tape measure. The Rim protector is a bonus however. The tire has a M+S rating. But aggresive tread pattern designed for the wet might not be as good as Goodyear LS in the snow. I don't plan on driving in snow however.

I always wondered how the Nitto tires would handle with this truck.

I decided to spend $800 for 4 new Nitto NT404s. Have not told wife yet.
That's pretty low down :nono: I would never do anything like that ;)

Aside from that, there is a reason that there is not a post on adding:

TEA stg II heads

Custom Comp cam

Comp push rods

160* t-stat

LS6 modified oil pump

Double roller timing chain

2.75" pulley

Of course, I forget who was crazy enough to try and do all that in four days while their wife was out of town. :D

Anything but the Goodyears. They're just plain unsafe tires. Go over to Tirerack.com and read how many people complain about hydroplaning on the GT II's. You couldn't pay me to put them on my vehicle.

I got the Kumhos. No one had anything bad to say about them so I got them. Good price, great ratings, great handling, great load bearing (over 3000lbs/tire), and pretty sticky. To get a stickier tire you would be replacing them in about half the time (i.e. Nittos). I really like them a lot. Their max PSI is 51 and so I have the fronts at 46 PSI and the rears at 44 PSI. Stiff and firm. Confident feel.

Why would you run with your pressures so high? Isn't the vehicle rated for about 35? Max pressure for the Goodyears on the SS is also about 50lbs, but I don't think any of go over 35lbs - a few may. You are going to get uneven wear patterns on your tires. You should ride at, or very close to, the rated pressure for your vehicle.

:pop: Interesting. I've been thinking about getting some new wheels, and maybe a wheel/tire package. So far I haven't had any issues with the stock Goodyear's. However, whenever I'm driving my SS, I have to remind myself that I'm not in the vette as I go through corners.

Archived