True Duals?

bigblue

Ok, if the SS comes with duals exhaust to the muffler, than why is it that the aftermarket doesn’t produce a “true dual” exhaust system? I for one would love to see this produced by someone… I have e-mailed a couple exhaust manufactures to see if this is something they may entertain. What are your thoughts on this…

Olaf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are avoiding changing out the catalytic converters.

I am confused about the catalytic converter thing???

I had my dual in dual out flowmaster installed and have the sound of true duals and it provides a crossover that some people say you need and others say you do not. I know that I took the easy way out by paying around $400 to have it installed.The sound is sweet.

Randy :rolleyes:

Randy, you did a nice job on your exhaust. Looks like a factory unit  :thumbs:

Olaf :chevy:

Agree with BigBlue but would like to add the following.

Looks like factory unit :shakehead: ,

Randy's LOOKS WAY BETTER :thumbs: than GM's profit :smash: oriented OEM cheap attempt exhaust, shame on GM as the Prototype did have rear exit duals

Randy's install truly looks professional, hats off Randy.

There are many members who have done the dual conversions, so choosing can be tough.

NOW GM's :jester: Monthy Python Flying Circus factory set up...

Can someone explain why GM has duals on all performance vehicles such as Vettes, Camaros, Firebirds, is GM not selling the Silverado SS as a performance vehicle??

To add insult to injury the FWD Impala SS has duals also on Grand-Prix, Grand-Ams and even on the geeky Sunfire :puke: GT.

Anyhow I got money building in my piggy bank and going to make things right too Duals for me this spring....

Dr Mike :cool:

Thanks Dr. Mike, I agree with you and my feeling is if someone hasen't come up with a nice clean big pipe "true dual" system in the next couple months, I will have to resort to having a set made. Please keep me posted if you hear of anything...

Olaf

May be wrong, but don't remember too many trucks having dual from the factory, at least not in the last 10 years, or so.

The aftermarket is catching up, just give it time. If your definition of "true" dual also includes dual mufflers, then you will probably need a custom system. But, the dual exhaust, single muffler systems already exist. The catalytic converters have nothing to do with it. You have dual cats already.

hmmm.... do true-duals have to be one on each side? and how many of you have crawled under? My 04 has 2 cats, right behind the manifolds... then the drivers side pipe jumps over (to clear the transfer case?) to a 2 in, 2 out muffler... then, three inches behind the muffler, the 2 pipes merge into 1 bigger one... Wonder why they did that? perhapps to get past the spare?

My 02 Escalade has two pipes all the way to the 2 in 2 out muffler, and dosn't merge into one until right at the tail pipe. It would be so easy to go to a muffler shop and hack off teh stock muffler and replace with 2 mufflers, then hack off the single tail pipe and weld on two SS tips. This would be a nice True Dual system, cost about $350. The only reason I have not done it yet is I'm scared there might be drone inside. Is the SSS like this?

Would to SS Tips together look good? i dont think it would be the most handsome, but i dont like the pipes that "hang under the bumper" The angled dual side exits look nice, but i just dont know... and another thing: is an X pipe going to show the normal gains since the SS has something of an X pipe in the setup?

May be wrong, but don't remember too many trucks having dual from the factory, at least not in the last 10 years, or so.

The aftermarket is catching up, just give it time.  If your definition of "true" dual also includes dual mufflers, then you will probably need a custom system.  But, the dual exhaust, single muffler systems already exist.  The catalytic converters have nothing to do with it.  You have dual cats already.

I think you are are right, it might be more like :eek: 25 years or so.

The last truck I remember with true duals is a 1979 Dodge Little Red Express :cheers:

A couple of the still running around here during summer months.

Coolest truck I ever drove. 360 Police Pursuit Engine, Tranny and Diff in fact was fastest U.S :flag: production vehicle at that time.

I was lucky enough to have one as a demo in 1979 and Nothing :oops: has even come close to comparing with the sound :devil::crazy::thumbs: coming from the side stacks on each side and doubt ever will.

Dodge's New SRT Viper Powered Ram was supposed to have duals and is only going to have a twin tipped rear exit exhaust :wtf: and I think the new 2005 Lighting has side exit twintips only.

John Moss's team designed the SS with duals and some bozo pencil pushers at GM HQ gave us single, :nono: bureaucratic hogwash.

REDSilverados set up looks :thumbs: good to...decisions...decisions.

My Piggy banks days are numbered :smash: when spring 2004 arrives, exhaust man here I come.

Dr Mike :cool:

sut

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the cats..... if you just replaced the current muffler with a dual in dual out you could easily have a muffler shop fab the piping and put tips on so you'd have "duals" then. there is going to be little to no performance gain over a good single out muffler, but it will look better.

camaro's and firebirds don't have dual systems factory either. they go off the cats into a y-pipe then to the back into the muffler and 2 pipes out of the muffler. I think the vette is the same way, but I'm not sure.

Archived