Newbie With Hemi-ram...why Is The 5.3 Faster Than Our Hemi And Ss Truc

v8only

Now this is my kind of challenge! I've got a nearly bone stock 5.3 x-cab with all the options. Next time us TX guys have a GTG in Denton I'm getting on the track.

About Damned Time. :driving: I don't see you needing a helmet though. :jester:

A lot of guys get hung-up in the horsepower wars - i.e. a 345hp Titan is supposed to be the same as a 345hp Silverado SS is supposed to be the same as a 345hp Hemi and that is FAR from being the case. You gotta remember that the vehicle as a whole is what counts, it's the whole package. And included in that package is the transmission/rear-end gearing (already mentioned) but more importantly the TUNING, and no offense here but the factory tune on the Hemi is crap, it's really holding back that powertrain and is the major limiting factor in making real performance on that platform; replace the Dodge computer with a MOTEC and get some real control on timing/fueling/shifting and that will really wake the Hemi (did they ever come out with a HemiEdit :dunno:). But IMO it's the factory tune that is a lot to blame for the lack of "perceived" performance in late vehicles.

Mr. P.

I keep seeing the power issue mentioned. The 5.3L doesn't have more power, it is simply available in a much lighter truck. The 5.3L can be had in a rcsb 2wd truck weighing in around 4100lbs without driver with 3.73's and a shorter tire than the SS trucks. My truck has plenty of extra weight added to it from accessories including the 20's and will run right there with an SS of equal mods. The Hemi trucks are just overall heavy and most have the 20" wheels with taller tires.

I had a Black 2002 2WD RCSB with the 5.3 and 3:73, tuned PCM, intake, exhaust which I sold and bought my current 2005 VHO, 2WD ECSB with the LQ9 6.0, tuned PCM, intake and exhaust.

FACT: I thought my 2002 with the 5.3 was fast but it could not even touch my 2005 LQ9 6.0

Edited by Champion201 (see edit history)

IMO, as far as the 5.3, I'm driving an 07 (new body) ecsb with the 5.3 (rental for work). There is NO comparison between this truck and my 03 SSS.

Before this rental I had an 07 Titan (ccsb) and the 5.6 with 317 hp did better than the 5.3 in the Silvy, but still can't beat my SSS. My step dad has an 05

1500 HD 6.0 (lq4). No comparison. NONE. The only gripe I have for the new Silvy is the damn seat belt dinger. I like my truck not having it.

A stock 5.3L extended cab 2wd with 3.73's in stock form is good for around a 15.6-16.1 depending on track conditions, etc. Some have went quicker, some slower, but that's about the average. The only chance a 5.3L has against an SSS is in a regular cab 2wd form.

Now this is my kind of challenge! I've got a nearly bone stock 5.3 x-cab with all the options. Next time us TX guys have a GTG in Denton I'm getting on the track.

That might be happening sooner than you think..... we're thinking of having one on the 14th i believe...

this thread doesnt make any sense..... but FIRST i wanna ask who this guy was? i think i know him, and can help you better understand why he ran this time

like said before- if you were comparing a 4x4 ex cab to an AWD SS, then as far as wieght goes, there isnt too much difference (maybe 100-200 lbs). however, how can you think the truck with a SMALLER displacement engine with almost 100 ft/lbs less torque and 50 less horsepower than the SSS be FASTER?

also, like they said-

your 2500HD has towing gear ratios, not speed. it also has more drivetrain loss, meaning it puts less power to the ground than the SSS. and largest part is, its nearly 2000lbs heavier..... not to mention it has the LQ4 6.0, which has a lower compression ratio and makes less power and torque. the SSS has the LQ9 6.0. and if you were thinking of a 2wd regular cab short bed 5.3, which like zippy said, would be arround 4100 lbs, you cant compare a 5400 lb truck fairly to that. however, the 2wd SSS would STILL outrun that 4100lb truck. they usually run mid 14s.

I have seen a few of the 5.3L trucks go into 14.6-14.8 area still stock. Those are obviously at well prepped tracks in very good air with a low DA, but they run very close to the numbers that the 2wd SSS's run and right on par with the AWD SSS's. Once again though, that is only with the right optioned truck. 5.3L 2wd, regular cab, short box, 3.73 gear, locking diff, and no extra's to add weight. An equal built 5.3L truck to an SSS isn't even close. The best I've seen from a stock 4.10 geared 5.3L extended cab 4x4 is a 15.9 and most run in the area of 16.1-16.4. With the H.O. 5.3L (which only came in the extended cab 4x4) and a 4.10 gear they run around a 15.5-15.9. The stock SSS awd trucks commonly run around 14.8-15.3 and are heavier than the 4x4 5.3L trucks because of the 20's and body cladding.