PCM programming discussion/questions

zippy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Also, all of the diagnostics will still work even after being programmed as we are all just modifying GM's original code and not replacing it. Thus if you take it into the dealer they can still diagnose the truck as normal and honestly have no way of knowing the code has even been modified :) All the GM techs can do is load in factory stock GM programs.

Later,

Bryan

Is it possible that something they do could overwrite changes I've made? I've gone in and had software updates to my PCM (for example, to correct a slipping/sloppy 1-2 shift via a GM Tech Update) and I'm wondering if they could supplant my modified code with their update, causing me problems....

Also, all of the diagnostics will still work even after being programmed as we are all just modifying GM's original code and not replacing it.  Thus if you take it into the dealer they can still diagnose the truck as normal and honestly have no way of knowing the code has even been modified :)  All the GM techs can do is load in factory stock GM programs.

Later,

Bryan

Is it possible that something they do could overwrite changes I've made? I've gone in and had software updates to my PCM (for example, to correct a slipping/sloppy 1-2 shift via a GM Tech Update) and I'm wondering if they could supplant my modified code with their update, causing me problems....

YES. If they "update" your PCM for anything related to the engine or trans, then they are writing over the tables that are currently in the PCM.

If you had someone do a custom tune for you, you can ask if they are aware of any GM updates for PCM programming. Maybe they already fixed that problem when they did your tune... ;)

If you are doing your own tuning, it should be easy enough to figure out if they changed something in there... :thumbs:

Also, all of the diagnostics will still work even after being programmed as we are all just modifying GM's original code and not replacing it.  Thus if you take it into the dealer they can still diagnose the truck as normal and honestly have no way of knowing the code has even been modified :)  All the GM techs can do is load in factory stock GM programs.

Later,

Bryan

If they have reflashed your PCM with Factory Updates anything else you've done in terms of programing is History :oops: When the dealer flashes your pcm it doesn't leave everything else alone either, its the whole deal. Plus if you get a factory reflash your Edit file may not sequence the Hex because of the differences between the original program and the update.

Also, all of the diagnostics will still work even after being programmed as we are all just modifying GM's original code and not replacing it.  Thus if you take it into the dealer they can still diagnose the truck as normal and honestly have no way of knowing the code has even been modified :)   All the GM techs can do is load in factory stock GM programs.

Later,

Bryan

If they have reflashed your PCM with Factory Updates anything else you've done in terms of programing is History :oops: When the dealer flashes your pcm it doesn't leave everything else alone either, its the whole deal. Plus if you get a factory reflash your Edit file may not sequence the Hex because of the differences between the original program and the update.

:withstupid:

I had this done accidently w/ the Mallett. Then all of my old tables had to be copied and pasted over because of a different segment id after the flash. :cry:

I had this done accidently w/ the Mallett. Then all of my old tables had to be copied and pasted over because of a different segment id after the flash. :cry:

Ouch! I didn't know they would change the segment ID.

Something GM had been doing to derail PCM programing accourding to Ken at Carputing.

Not really a problem though. I can read the new program they put in and then copy the modified tables into the new program and thus be back where we were. When I do exchange PCM's I load the newest GM cal into the PCM and then write the code based on the new segments in the GM cal.

Later,

Bryan

Not really a problem though. I can read the new program they put in and then copy the modified tables into the new program and thus be back where we were. When I do exchange PCM's I load the newest GM cal into the PCM and then write the code based on the new segments in the GM cal.

Later,

Bryan

Yep, I understand that, it's what I had to do on mine. Just the normal GM pain-in-the-butt stuff. It works, just takes more time to go around it with the copy and paste, than just reloading the old program. :(

Something GM had been doing to derail PCM programing accourding to Ken at Carputing.

:chevy: Maby when you do this, you need to put out the $'s and keep the old PCM and put it back in when it goes for service? Thoughts?

:chevy: Maby when you do this, you need to put out the $'s and keep the old PCM and put it back in when it goes for service? Thoughts?

Actually, this is what I did. I had a junkyard PCM flashed to current factory specs, the tuned it with the Mallett specs to start tuning from. This is when I found out about the Segment ID updating. Check around, I got a PCM for $75, then $40 flash fee. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

:chevy: Maby when you do this, you need to put out the $'s and keep the old PCM and put it back in when it goes for service?  Thoughts?

Actually, this is what I did. I had a junkyard PCM flashed to current factory specs, the tuned it with the Mallett specs to start tuning from. This is when I found out about the Segment ID updating. Check around, I got a PCM for $75, then $40 flash fee. :thumbs:

m396 #00-011,

Will any PCM from a 6.0 engine work or does it have to be from an SS?

Ray

:chevy: Maby when you do this, you need to put out the $'s and keep the old PCM and put it back in when it goes for service?  Thoughts?

m396 #00-011,

Will any PCM from a 6.0 engine work or does it have to be from an SS?

Ray

GM changed the ECM in 03 so a 02 computer won't work. And as far as I know all 03/04 computers have the same part #. So no it doesn't have to be a 6.0 computer, the engine parameters are part of the programming not the hardware.

Good Luck

Archived