PCM programming discussion/questions

zippy

i have a 99 tahoe that needs programming. any idea's on who to have it done by or where to get the software to do it. the only programmer i see that lists it is ed wright.

I recall seeing a fair amount of issues with Ed's tuning and locking the PCM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I see EFIlive scan and logging software is only listed for gen3 smallblocks. I have a 01' s-10 and I will be using LS-1 edit if EFIlive doesn't come out with thier software soon. I would like to use EFIlive for logging and LS-1 edit for programing. Just for a little more info, its a 01' 4.3l auto s-10. I have done heads and cam with a custom intake manifold setup to rid of the factory junk poppets. I have a edelbrock 4brrl intake for the vortec heads retrofitted to EFI. I have a Wilson Manifolds elbow to a LS-1 throttle body. I plan on running 42pph bosch style high impediance injectors, same as Lightnings. Also a P1-SC procharger w/ a 3-core intercooler.

So you can see my need to custom tune my vehicle. I am sort of beyond the point of bolt ons. Any personal experiance or knowledge of these programs would be much appreciated. Even though its not a SS.

Agian thanks for any info or tips on these programs. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Superchips handheld (man I wish I knew about hptuners a year ago...) that has been upgraded by Superchips (new database and prom) and have a whipple on the way. Whipple is telling me I need to detune to stock, and I want to believe that, but since they sell their own handheld tuner...

With the SC I am not super-worried about losing the 27hp the powertuner gave me ("losing" any HP is BAD BAD BAD!!), but I am really concerned with going back to the stock shifting (I haaaaaaaaaaaaate it).

I am considering the hptuner suite to at least correct the tranny stuff. Anyone have any info on the Whipple computer hack-in and tuning?

Any advice on custom tuning for a supercharged app? I was hoping the hptuner suite would allow me to run a hot setup for the times when the SC is in bypass and then retard the timing at full throttle.

I have a Superchips handheld (man I wish I knew about hptuners a year ago...) that has been upgraded by Superchips (new database and prom) and have a whipple on the way. Whipple is telling me I need to detune to stock, and I want to believe that, but since they sell their own handheld tuner...

With the SC I am not super-worried about losing the 27hp the powertuner gave me ("losing" any HP is BAD BAD BAD!!), but I am really concerned with going back to the stock shifting (I haaaaaaaaaaaaate it).

I am considering the hptuner suite to at least correct the tranny stuff. Anyone have any info on the Whipple computer hack-in and tuning?

Any advice on custom tuning for a supercharged app? I was hoping the hptuner suite would allow me to run a hot setup for the times when the SC is in bypass and then retard the timing at full throttle.

HPT or Edit would allow you to tune for a SC. I think a couple guys on here have run Whipples before (BigTex, setti), maybe they can comment on Whipple tuning.

I installed a PCM from Bryan @ PCMFORLESS yesterday,and the check engine light is on.The truck runs fine only now I have a light. ?

Does this indicate a problem or can someone let me know how to turn it out.

TIA,WP

I installed a PCM from Bryan @ PCMFORLESS yesterday,and the check engine light is on.The truck runs fine only now I have a light. ?

Does this indicate a problem or can someone let me know how to turn it out.

TIA,WP

Did you successfully perform the security system relearn for the new PCM? Also, you might need a crank position sensor relearn with a new PCM. You can get the code from your SES light read for free at Autozone. I'd suggest trying to determine what the trouble code is and then contacting Bryan.

good luck

:cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Have a huge problem here.. I think I fried my tranny.. Was screwing around the other day with some friends in the truck, revving the engine in neutral, this and that.. anyway as I let off the gas on the last rev, I shifted into drive too soon and punched it.. I got a little bit of a lurch from the truck, and then the revs went crazy.. It won't move if the shifter is in drive or 3rd, but it will move in 1st or 2nd. after that, if you get it going to say 35, 40 mph or so in 2nd gear, you can move the shifter into 3rd/4th and it will shift into those gears... I checked my fluid.. it's ok. I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes thinking maybe I could "reset" the PCM (Westers).. but the only thing it did after that was make a grinding noise in drive..

I do have an extended warranty on the truck, but I'm worried about taking it in with the westers chip installed.. Will they say that the extended warranty is void? I do not have a spare PCM.. God I knew I should have paid that core charge and kept the stock one! Please help!

:(:(:confused::confused::shakehead::shakehead::puke:

Question for you Edit guys.

Calculated Airflow vs. RPM vs. TPS (P1514 table) -- does anyone know what the units are in Edit? I am trying to convert the PR algorithm for updating this table for HPT and some guy with a turbo... HPT is g/cyl (so the top left cell is .7 in stock trim).

The algorithm says to calculate your PR [ (14.7 + boost psi)/14.7 ] and scale the table with that value, replacing any values < 500 with 500. Every value in HPT is < 500. Heck, they're all less than 2... Not having Edit, I can't figure out the relationship and no one at HPT seems to know.

I've also been told by 2-3 people that using this algorithm will not only remove the 1514 DTC but will help eliminate weird KR at WOT (It's worth a shot :P )

Have a huge problem here..  I think I fried my tranny.. Was screwing around the other day with some friends in the truck, revving the engine in neutral, this and that.. anyway as I let off the gas on the last rev, I shifted into drive too soon and punched it.. I got a little bit of a lurch from the truck, and then the revs went crazy.. It won't move if the shifter is in drive or 3rd, but it will move in 1st or 2nd.  after that, if you get it going to say 35, 40 mph or so in 2nd gear, you can move the shifter into 3rd/4th and it will shift into those gears... I checked my fluid.. it's ok.  I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes thinking maybe I could "reset" the PCM (Westers).. but the only thing it did after that was make a grinding noise in drive..

I do have an extended warranty on the truck, but I'm worried about taking it in with the westers chip installed.. Will they say that the extended warranty is void? I do not have a spare PCM..  God I knew I should have paid that core charge and kept the stock one! Please help! 

:(  :(  :confused:  :confused:  :shakehead:  :shakehead:  :puke:

Wow. You don’t have good luck with that truck do you? First you spin a cam bearing and get a new motor. Now you mess up the trans. :nonod: I would take it to the dealer, I don't think that they would check the PCM, but I could be wrong.

Have a huge problem here..  I think I fried my tranny.. Was screwing around the other day with some friends in the truck, revving the engine in neutral, this and that.. anyway as I let off the gas on the last rev, I shifted into drive too soon and punched it.. I got a little bit of a lurch from the truck, and then the revs went crazy.. It won't move if the shifter is in drive or 3rd, but it will move in 1st or 2nd.  after that, if you get it going to say 35, 40 mph or so in 2nd gear, you can move the shifter into 3rd/4th and it will shift into those gears... I checked my fluid.. it's ok.  I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes thinking maybe I could "reset" the PCM (Westers).. but the only thing it did after that was make a grinding noise in drive..

I do have an extended warranty on the truck, but I'm worried about taking it in with the westers chip installed.. Will they say that the extended warranty is void? I do not have a spare PCM..  God I knew I should have paid that core charge and kept the stock one! Please help! 

:(  :(  :confused:  :confused:  :shakehead:  :shakehead:  :puke:

Wow. You don’t have good luck with that truck do you? First you spin a cam bearing and get a new motor. Now you mess up the trans. :nonod: I would take it to the dealer, I don't think that they would check the PCM, but I could be wrong.

NO.. I Don't.. Can you say, lemon? No.. My fault this time.. Maybe if I didn't tear the sh*t out of everything I own... but what fun would that be?? Well.. thanks for the advise.. I guess I'll take it up there and face the music.. Hopefully they won't say anything.. Any chance that I can get tranny upgrade and converter while they've got it torn apart again? :D:devil:

Archived