Removing Factory Spark Plugs.

Never dealt with aluminum heads before. Always cast iron big block chevy, small block etc. I know that antisieze is used in order to keep the threads from seizing or galling when it comes to aluminum. I know that the plugs are 100K mile plugs, but I want to do plugs and wires as preventative maintenance. I haven't actually gone out there and put a wrench on these plugs yet, BUT my question is..... Am I going to have a headache getting these things out? Assuming they are factory plugs and have 80K on them. That's a long time to get stuck.

Are there any tricks or tips I need to know? I assume I should get the engine up to operating temp, throw on some gloves and try to remove the plugs while the metal is still good and warm.

I have intentions of using

AC delco plug 41-985

MSD Wires 32829

antisieze when reinstalling them.

Thanks!

also put some dielectric grease in the boots, coil and plug. will make life easier the next time you pull them off. don't need a lot, just a lite coat on the inside. i use to put a small bead inside and roll the boot between my fingers and that will spread it around nicely...

:seeya:

I did mine at 75K. The only issue you will have is the #8 cylinder. A 1" extension made it alot easier. A 3" was too long and with no extension it wouldn't reach. Also, with the MSD wires, you're gonna have to rotate the wire closest to the steering shaft bolt so it doesn't snag. (I think it was the #5 cylinder) and next to the #8 you need to bend the heat shield under the a/c compressor so it doesn't rub the wire. All in all, an easy job!

The only issue you will have is the #8 cylinder. A 1" extension made it alot easier. A 3" was too long and with no extension it wouldn't reach. Also, with the MSD wires, you're gonna have to rotate the wire closest to the steering shaft bolt so it doesn't snag. (I think it was the #5 cylinder) and next to the #8 you need to bend the heat shield under the a/c compressor so it doesn't rub the wire. All in all, an easy job!

:withstupid: You shouldn't have a problem getting the plugs out, you might need a little elbow grease thats all. Like keith said, rotate the #5 plug wire counterclockwise at the coil boot a little to avoid contact with the steering shaft bolt. Doing so takes the slack out of the wire. Make sure to bend the heatshield for the AC condensor lines about 1/4 inch towards the fire wall to avoid chaffing of the #8 wire over time. :chevy:

not sure about the plugs but I didn't notice if anybody said about taking them out. If the heads are aluminum I highly suggest not to get it up to operating temp. because when you take the plugs out the threads are going to be expanded and if you try to put a new plug it it could actually strip the whole

is an NGK TR55 the same?

Is there a difference between these and the delcos?

the NGK are better, but lemme tell u changing plugs are a bish, it took me all of about 3hrs i didn't have the right tools but i managed to get em in

:withstupid: You shouldn't have a problem getting the plugs out, you might need a little elbow grease thats all. Like keith said, rotate the #5 plug wire counterclockwise at the coil boot a little to avoid contact with the steering shaft bolt. Doing so takes the slack out of the wire. Make sure to bend the heatshield for the AC condensor lines about 1/4 inch towards the fire wall to avoid chaffing of the #8 wire over time. :chevy:

exactly. i took the heat shield out and put it to the grinder.