Check Engine Light Gone Wierd

SlowSierraSS

I bought a 2004 sss with a magnacharger, headers, corsa exhaust, transgo shift kit, and a program with the superchips that came with the magna kit. I bought it from a dealer that originally installed all of the aftermarket parts on. They warranty everything since they installed it all. I bought it and the guy that traded it to the same dealer that he originally bought it did not include the programmer with the trade in. The check engine light came on so I brought it in. It ended up being some wierd electrical issue with the 02 sensors heating up too fast so they went and bought a new superchips programmer for me. They took their tech2000 and set the entire truck to stock and then took and installed the new tune. It used to shift really hard in 1st and not as hard but still harder in all of the other gears as well but now it seems to shift like stock or so. What could of happened?

Thats nice of them to get you a new programmer, but no offense, handhelds are junk. You need to get rid of that and get a custom tune, trust me you will feel a big difference from how the truck was when you bought it. The Superchips they bought you isn't calibrated for the Radix, it's calibrated for a stock truck with minor bolt-ons, that's why it feels weird. Again, time for a custom tune to release your trucks true potential. :chevy:

Thats nice of them to get you a new programmer, but no offense, handhelds are junk. You need to get rid of that and get a custom tune, trust me you will feel a big difference from how the truck was when you bought it. The Superchips they bought you isn't calibrated for the Radix, it's calibrated for a stock truck with minor bolt-ons, that's why it feels weird. Again, time for a custom tune to release your trucks true potential. :chevy:

Ill read a bit here but if you want to answer that would help. My question is is it bad to run the superchips programmer? Also can I get a custom tune that you are talking about with no dyno time or the use of a wideband or anything like that? Also with just letting you know what my mods are can you get me a tune based off of that with 100% safe ranges without wrecking or damaging the engine at all? This is my DD and I have a car that is running 50% of the time to be on the HP edge. Thanks for all the help.

Ill read a bit here but if you want to answer that would help. My question is is it bad to run the superchips programmer? Also can I get a custom tune that you are talking about with no dyno time or the use of a wideband or anything like that? Also with just letting you know what my mods are can you get me a tune based off of that with 100% safe ranges without wrecking or damaging the engine at all? This is my DD and I have a car that is running 50% of the time to be on the HP edge. Thanks for all the help.

No I don't think its bad to run it, but I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time as the tuning is not calibrated for a Radix most likely. You don't need dyno time for a custom tune, but it will help fine tune it a bit. There are many guys out there who have blowers and are running on a mail order tune. A dyno tune would be best but a mail order can be just as good. There are several good tuners out there who can safely tune your truck like Charlie Wheatley, Zippy, or

.justin.(BlackBearPerformance). :chevy:

No I don't think its bad to run it, but I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time as the tuning is not calibrated for a Radix most likely. You don't need dyno time for a custom tune, but it will help fine tune it a bit. There are many guys out there who have blowers and are running on a mail order tune. A dyno tune would be best but a mail order can be just as good. There are several good tuners out there who can safely tune your truck like Charlie Wheatley, Zippy, or

.justin.(BlackBearPerformance). :chevy:

Well the superchips did come from magnacharger with a tune specifically called "magnacharger" custom tune right on the programmer from the place itself. They must of sent it with the tune on it made directly from them.

Well the superchips did come from magnacharger with a tune specifically called "magnacharger" custom tune right on the programmer from the place itself. They must of sent it with the tune on it made directly from them.

Oh okay, I guess the dealer got you the right programmer then. You can stick with that programmer and you should be fine, but you still will get much more from a custom tune then that programmer. :chevy:

It's probably just a tune for the blower. A custome tune can change your shift points and stuff so she will shift like she use to.

you may want to stay with the superchips if its still under warranty with the dealer and magnacharger, if you do a custom tune magnacharger will void the warranty, but you will get so much more power out of it if you go custom tune, but if you have a warranty i would wait till its over

good luck and enjoy your blower

It doesn't shift as hard because the shift pressures were lowered in this new tune. If nothing was changed mechanically (IE: new shift kit), then it's definitely the tune. I would honestly leave the shift pressures as they are. The purpose of the shift kit is to change the flow of fluid and the pressures, but it does so in the proper way. That's not to say you can increase shift pressure through the computer, it just puts extra strain on the pumps and other components. FYI, hard shifting is not necessarily better, it definitely causes more strain on the drivetrain.

If your not running a wideband i suggst you get one. You need to be able to tell if your running to rich or lean both no good for your motor. Thats where a custom tune helps out. You can let the tuner know what the AFR is at WOT and they can help adjust the tune properly. My .02

If your not running a wideband i suggst you get one. You need to be able to tell if your running to rich or lean both no good for your motor. Thats where a custom tune helps out. You can let the tuner know what the AFR is at WOT and they can help adjust the tune properly. My .02

I have a heavily modded car that I self tune on my lap top but was just double checking what you guys run for a good but safe WOT 02 on the wideband? Also how are these trucks for temp and humidity change. If you tune to X 02 will it be good with that tune from below zero to 100 degrees?

With my setup, I run very rich with a 10.5:1 AFR (which when I tuned it, it was a 60 degree day). I do not drive my truck in the winter (being in Chicago), so I cannot accurately give you a typical range I experience. However, I did take out the truck once this year, it was about 20 degrees outside, I needed to pull it into the garage to work on it. And after I was done, I took it out for a quick test drive to get it up to temperature. I wide-opened throttled it once, and saw 2 extra lbs of boost over my normal of 7 lbs during spring/summer. My AFR which is normally 10.5:1 during the spring/summer time went to 11.5-12.0:1 AFR. I hope this helps you a bit. And an FYI as to why I run rich is, I do not tune for methanol (IE: no extra timing or tuning the AFR to lean it out with the methanol). I strictly use meth to cool down the IATs. Without meth, my AFR is leaner around 11.5:1. I did this so incase I ever ran out of meth, and/or experienced a meth pump failure during a run, my engine should not experience any extra stress or cause any damage.

When you say "heavily modded," what mods are you talking about? And I too do all of my tuning.

When you say "heavily modded," what mods are you talking about? And I too do all of my tuning.

Well I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo. It is a convert and they didnt make the convert in a AWD so I put in AWD out of another hard top car. I have a fully built motor, stage 4 cams, e-85, 33 psi boost, and stock they are about 210 to the crank and I am pushing mid 450HP to the wheels.