Baer Vs Rwd Ss Calipers

12'SROCK

Forgive me if this is a dumb question; What set up are you recomending for the front/rear of an AWD? Are you saying to not upgrade the calipers and just do bigger rotors, pads, and lines? Also can I ask about how much you paid for the rotors? Thanks.

ok or the AWD guys the Baer Alumasport kit is worth it at all 4 corners since the stock AWD brake systems suck nuts. if you are referring to me on the rotor price, i paid $100 per rotor, $55 for Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the AWD calipers not good enough to do this upgrade? I was looking into the powerslot plus but I like the drileld and slotted look better.

IMO no the stock AWD calipers are not enough, you could get the front brakes from a RWD SS for a lot cheaper and would be a nice upgrade from stock

Does your pads cover the entire surface of your rotor? :dunno: How much better is that setup you got over stock new pads

yes OEM RWD SS pad cover pretty much the whole rotor, the ceramic pads/driled slotted rotors have a lot more bit to them than the stock semi metalic pads did :chevy: BTW welcome to the forum :cheers:

yes OEM RWD SS pad cover pretty much the whole rotor, the ceramic pads/driled slotted rotors have a lot more bit to them than the stock semi metalic pads did :chevy: BTW welcome to the forum :cheers:

:withstupid: RWD SSSs pads grab 85-90% of the rotor surface, and the rotor and pad upgrade works quite well like Art stated.....welcome to the site :cheers:

• 1 month later...

So is it possible to just bolt on the FRONT calipers and rotors from an 06 RWD to the FRONT of an 05 AWD?

There are so many comments being posted back n forth it is hard to read between the lines to get the info I think all the AWD guys are looking for.

I've been searching the brake threads for a few hours now and really don't have any answers beside the Baer alumasport upgrade, which I am NOT investing in.

I want the best bang for the buck front and rear rotor/caliper upgrade.

Edited by Loeryder (see edit history)

So is it possible to just bolt on the FRONT calipers and rotors from an 06 RWD to the FRONT of an 05 AWD?...

I'm not sure - I thought the front spindle on the 2WD trucks was redesigned to move the caliper 1/2" further away from the hub to work with the larger 13" rotor? :dunno: If so then you will have to swap front spindles too, and the lower ball joint on the 2WD trucks is larger/better so that will be an advanced swap.

I've had stock, Alumasport, and 6S brakes on my AWD SSS; my recommendation is to use Alumasport front brakes + stock rear calipers -OR- Baer 6S front + Alumasport rears. Along with ATE Super brake fluid and stainless brake lines. If you watch the sites and EBay you can find good used front Alumasport kits selling for $450-550.

On either truck upgrading to a 14" rotor is important, not only do you get more 'thermal reserve' but the caliper can apply far more leverage on the rotor. I would be interested to see if a truck with 14" upgraded rotors + a good set entry-level track pads will stop as well as the front Alumasport upgrade. :confused: Again it all comes down to costs.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

On either truck upgrading to a 14" rotor is important, not only do you get more 'thermal reserve' but the caliper can apply far more leverage on the rotor. I would be interested to see if a truck with 14" upgraded rotors + a good set entry-level track pads will stop as well as the front Alumasport upgrade. :confused: Again it all comes down to costs.

Mr. P.

A few of us are digging into this as we speak.

using 14"+ rotors,corvette calipers,track pads....

good info to come soon enough.

So is it possible to just bolt on the FRONT calipers and rotors from an 06 RWD to the FRONT of an 05 AWD?

There are so many comments being posted back n forth it is hard to read between the lines to get the info I think all the AWD guys are looking for.

I've been searching the brake threads for a few hours now and really don't have any answers beside the Baer alumasport upgrade, which I am NOT investing in.

I want the best bang for the buck front and rear rotor/caliper upgrade.

well i know you can do the swap on a RWD 2000 silverado for sure but dont really know if the spindle is different for the AWD im assumin it would be a direct bolt up with if you have everything from 06' RWD calipers/brackets/rotors. but like i mensioned in my thread with SS lines , Ceramic pads, After market rotors, the brakes are damn good :chevy:

A few of us are digging into this as we speak.

using 14"+ rotors,corvette calipers,track pads....

good info to come soon enough.

hey Ray can you measure the three sizes of the front calipers pistons please, or just one if they are all the same, trying to calculate the caliper clamping force. thanks

Yeah I think i am leaning towards the Power Slot Plus big brake upgrade that is a bolt on affair.

Front: 29-8690 is only $429.95 @ summit

Rear: 29-8694 is $388.69

Doesn't clarify if that includes pads, but it seems pretty fair.

Yeah I think i am leaning towards the Power Slot Plus big brake upgrade that is a bolt on affair.

Front: 29-8690 is only $429.95 @ summit

Rear: 29-8694 is $388.69

Doesn't clarify if that includes pads, but it seems pretty fair.

nope no pads just rotors and brackets

for my rotors, pads and SS lines i only paid $335 :chevy:

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)