Any Guys (or Girls) Ever Try To Date Your Best Friend

TheGunny

so I usually don't post these type of off truck topic personel questions but i think i could use some advice and most of the people on here seem to have plenty of that so...

Going with the topic, I have known this girl since freeking elementy school... :crazy: I asked her out one in Jr. high and got shot down... but through high school we became really close friends, now she's at college but we are still best friends... We literally talk every day and I think we pretty much know everything about each other. I get dating stories from her and vice versa. "I love you", "I miss you" is thrown around pretty often and reference to each other include love, lover, babe etc... So ... i have pretty much fallen for her... I see her pretty often because college is relatively close and she comes home semi often, when we are around each other we're pretty flirty and there is a good amount of that whole touchy feely thing... However, theres never really been anything ever mentioned or hinted at any possibility of dating, and more of me would say that she has no feelings like that towards me. regardless of that I have been debating just telling her how i feel. I would think that this could possibly ruin our friendship and i could loose one of my best friends. So should i say soemthing and possibly loose it all or keep my mouth shut and try to be content wondering?? Anyone ever try to go after there best friend? if so how did that go?

Thanks for any help, I feel a little awkward asking this type of question on the board... but o well

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cant say I have tried dating my best friend because its a guy..lol

In all seriousness thats dangeroous territory.. What I may try if I was you was talk to a mutual friend of y'alls and get their opinion. Who knows maybe she has mentioned her feelings about you to them? Maybe that mutual friend can put it out there to her in a friendly joking matter and see how she responds with out putting you on the spot and relay the message back to ya. You know? Just my .02 but becareful.

I was in the same situation before... best friends, yada yada yada... after 8 years of friendship she came to visit me at college one weekend... we went out and got hammered... went home and had sex... after she left the next day, i have spoken to her 2 years later when she called to say she was getting married... we never spoke since...

I guess when she said NO, she really meant NO... LOL....

Youre in a tough spot... i'd say take her for a walk somewhere beach, park, etc... and just man up and tell her WTF you are thinking... maybe she is waiting for you to step up to the plate and not be a wuss about it... lol...

I mean come on bro... youre a firefighter, young dude, drive a sick truck... it would be her loss...

DO IT

IMO a guy & a girl aren't capable of being BFF's. sooner or later she's bound to meet someone who doesn't like you hanging around as much as she does. stop being a **** and go for it, your friendship is doomed anyway. just a matter of time.

just my seriously jaded opinion, take it for what it's worth. in case you're bigger than me & could find out where i live, i was just kidding about you being a ****. :uhoh:

Take a chance and tell her how you feel. If she's really that good of a friend, she will either jump at the chance to take it to the next level, or on the other hand, she will be a friend enough to stick by you until you realize that she's not the one for you. You can't waste time by loving someone who may or may not love you back. Having these feelings and doing nothing about them is like having a lottery ticket and not checking the numbers... you could win big, or you could be out a buck, but you'll never know unless you check... and you can't win if you don't play!!!!

IMO a guy & a girl aren't capable of being BFF's. sooner or later she's bound to meet someone who doesn't like you hanging around as much as she does. stop being a **** and go for it, your friendship is doomed anyway. just a matter of time.

just my seriously jaded opinion, take it for what it's worth. in case you're bigger than me & could find out where i live, i was just kidding about you being a ****. :uhoh:

As much as it sucks, I have to agree with this. If you don't do anything about it and just sit there quietly you're preparing yourself to be devastated when she meets some other guy and falls for him. If you wait, you'll be disappointed sooner or later. If you do it now, there's a chance you'll be disappointed and a chance that things could turn out great. 50% chance now is a hell of a lot better than 0% chance in the future.

If you don't tell her how you feel, you could go thru life asking yourself "I wonder where my life would be if I told her how I felt?" "What if, what if, what if?" I ended up marreying(sp) my elementry school love. We've known each other for 20ish years, been married for 10 years. Whats the worst she will do? Tell you that she doesn't feel that way toward you? Oh well, then it wasn't meant to be. I've ben out of high school for 16 years, how many of my classmates do I still talk to? 0 out of 127 I graduated with. I grew up in a small town in Rhode Island, on a dead end street. There where around 20 kids that "grew up together". How many of them do I talk to? Only one, we work together. Moral of the story is after high school, you'll more than likely grow apart from your freinds. Yes, some people stay in contact with their HS freinds, but that is not the norm. Remember there are other fish in the sea.

IMO take a chance and tell her how you feel. I had a crush on my close friend in high school, but never told her how i fealt and she meet some other dude(scum) and I havn't talked to her for the last 2 years, also has 2 kids now, AND she lives next door to me! I ask myself "what if i would of told her?" Oh well, we live and we learn. Good luck.

Been there, done that, same situation. She said yes, we dated, and soon it blew up faster then Chase's tranny. But, go for it. You're either going to make it work, or you're eventually going to part ways, cause of her husband not liking you... ect, or you becoming a home wrecker, and she'll hate you for it.

But, do you honestly have these feelings for her, or it is because she's the only girl in your life recieveing and giving you attention?

If you don't tell her how you feel, you could go thru life asking yourself "I wonder where my life would be if I told her how I felt?" "What if, what if, what if?" I ended up marreying(sp) my elementry school love. We've known each other for 20ish years, been married for 10 years. Whats the worst she will do? Tell you that she doesn't feel that way toward you? Oh well, then it wasn't meant to be. I've ben out of high school for 16 years, how many of my classmates do I still talk to? 0 out of 127 I graduated with. I grew up in a small town in Rhode Island, on a dead end street. There where around 20 kids that "grew up together". How many of them do I talk to? Only one, we work together. Moral of the story is after high school, you'll more than likely grow apart from your freinds. Yes, some people stay in contact with their HS freinds, but that is not the norm. Remember there are other fish in the sea.

Wow...that sounds familiar. I could have written close to this exact scenario (including the RI part). :cheers:

You just have to do it. Tell her how you feel and get it over with.

I would say go for it. IMO if she really is your "best friend" and you tell her and she is not into you she will still remain your "best friend" but If you do get together def. be prepared to not have her as a best friend if it goes south.