Drivetrain Growl

I had the drivetrain growl everyone else has noticed since new on the SS but hadn't taken it to the dealer as it sounds like no one has had much luck getting anything done. Then over the weekend a intermittent clunking developed from the drivers side front wheel. The noise started at 40 MPH + and was made accelerating, coasting or braking. I just called the dealership and apparently in their words my "front diff is pooched". I will post when I get the SS back if this fixs the noise and what parts were replaced. In the meantime I am stuck driving a 2000 V6 Mustang borrowed from a family member that is going to be emabarassing.

I will post when I get the SS back if this fixs the noise and what parts were replaced. In the meantime I am stuck driving a 2000 V6 Mustang borrowed from a family member that is going to be emabarassing.

Keep us posted, please. I'm curious - did the dealer offer you a vehicle to drive? I got to drive a new Avalanche for a day during one dealer service visit.

Talked to the dealer yesterday and the SS is going to spend the next TWO WEEKS at the dealership while they are waiting on parts. They are replacing the whole front drive assembly. Apparently one of the bearings was all chewed up and all kinds of metal filings were in the diff when they drained it and opened it up. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

I had the drivetrain growl everyone else has noticed since new on the SS but hadn't taken it to the dealer as it sounds like no one has had much luck getting anything done. Then over the weekend a intermittent clunking developed from the drivers side front wheel. The noise started at 40 MPH + and was made accelerating, coasting or braking. I just called the dealership and apparently in their words my "front diff is pooched".

How many miles did you have on the clock when it went south?

had a high speed wine , 45-65 mph . thay never took it apart to find out what

was wrong . thay spent 3 mo. chasing this problem with the rear diff also.

gm rep also has a 03 ss with no wine or low speed grolling so thay took his

frount diff and swaped it with mine i still have the low speed grolling on right

and left turns .

gm listed frount diff noise as poor tooling.... sounded like a bad pinon bearing

ps. talked to gm rep 3 days ago and he still has no low speed grolling after

9,000 mi...

• 3 years later...
Talked to the dealer yesterday and the SS is going to spend the next TWO WEEKS at the dealership while they are waiting on parts. They are replacing the whole front drive assembly. Apparently one of the bearings was all chewed up and all kinds of metal filings were in the diff when they drained it and opened it up. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

I had the same thing when I pulled the drain plug out. Savings all over it. I am going to put a Jasper's in mine. They have 3year 100,000 mile warranty on there's. They know the problems with the differentials and the transmissions and they say you want have that problem again. Give them a call. I want let GM nowhere around this problem because there not fixing the problem just patching. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived