Rebuilding The Dash...

well i have longed for 5.1 in the SS. Tuesday night it will become a reality. i have been working late nights doing my video switching, my processor mounting, my center channel amp location, as well as a new indash Alpine screen and visor mounted control unit for the 175 band EQ and crossover/time correction unit.

this weekend i did the final phase as well as what i consider the toughest to tackle. My close friend from MTX came down and we tore into the dash piece without looking back. when all the dust settled and the raw hands from sanding healed, the pics below are what we created. it took us nearly 9 hours of total dedication to pull this off. it will be covered in factory GM Vinyl and the inserts where the speakers will be mounted will be covered in charcoal suede. the speakers in question will be MTX's 4.1 high end components, they will be driven with an MTX amp on each corner gettin roughly 125 watts a piece and for the center it will have its own Xtant 1.1 amp, puching about 100 watts.

I cant wait to tune this thing for the Omaha Super Show this coming weekend.

let me know what you guys think, i know i am STOKED about it!!!

the steps below show how we did it in order. these are just cell phone pics, but they came out pretty good

post-5722-1210541077_thumb.jpg

post-5722-1210541093_thumb.jpg

post-5722-1210541121_thumb.jpg

post-5722-1210541142_thumb.jpg

post-5722-1210541156_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you sleep? Looking good chris,can't wait to see it up close.

sleep? whats that? as in last night i was out at the local LUMBERYARD for a few :)

as for the tint on the windshield, its still there. for some reason in my shop it looks alot more transparent. either way, its still there.

Interesting - and lots of hard work. How did you guys arrive at speaker placement?

Mr. P. :)

I know what you are gettin at. lets just say alot of listening to other cars, as well as lookin for other option throughout the cab. I have heard several other cabins similar to ours, such as escalades, and tahoes and they all didnt image very well. I currently have a set of 5.25 inch components in the kicks and they are just too low. the dash is just physically too high to get the stage to carry up there. I was thinking of doing pillar mounted components but when i built mock ups, they were too big and frog eye lookin. also I heard a ford F150 last year from Polk Audio, that i got to baby sit for a week at my shop and the thing BLEW ME AWAY! it was set up very similar to this and i think i can accomplish what i am looking for. yes i want great stereo image, but i also want to watch Godsmack and 3 doors down in DTS 5.1.

the best part about the whole thing is that with the ALPINE "mini" F#1 status processor and the tenure of people i have in my contact book to help me tune this thing, (think R&D engineers, as well as IASCA and USAC champions) I am SURE it will more than suffice what i am looking for and yet be sure to please 95% of the people listening too it, including ME, and in the end, thats what matters most!

Thanks for the question!