Rebuilding The Dash...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, not a big fan of that layout on the dash like that. Good thing you have a 178-band, because that setup is going to need a lot of EQ tuning. Especially if you're tuning for RTA.

A few things I've noticed through this post to the contrary:

First, the angle of the speakers looks to be pretty dang flat, which will keep the listener and the mic off axis, lessening the directional output and detectability of each individual set of speakers.

Next, I believe Chris said that he would be covering them in suede material, which is not as acousticly clear as grill cloth, which will further pad the speakers down.

He's powering the outer set by it's own amp, the center channel by it's own amp, and controlling them with a digital processor.

It's a bit of a mix of old school layout (prior to horn drivers and kick panels, this is how it was done to raise the sound stage) mixed with more modern technology (the DSP device) to raise the sound stage. With the adjustability designed in to the system, Chris will have no problem controlling the tuning of the system. It's not even the number of bands in the EQ, but the timing delays mentioned that will make the sounds of the lower drivers reach your ear at the same time as the dash speakers.

Now, if these were the PRIMARY drivers of the front sound stage instead of just being added on to the already existing low stage, then there might be a problem with RTA, but as it is I really don't see an RTA problem at all. :dunno:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Honestly, not a big fan of that layout on the dash like that. Good thing you have a 178-band, because that setup is going to need a lot of EQ tuning. Especially if you're tuning for RTA.

I dont know how many of you have been in USAC or IASCA lately, but RTA is not part of judging anymore, and besides, have you ever listened to a perfect "40"? it sounds like A$$! I will use an RTA to get me a baseline, but that is where it will stop. just to smooth out the tweeters and mids. I dont know if you have ever listened to kickpanels in one of our trucks, but my ears arent at my knees, they are in my head. thats why i did what i did, the dash is just physically to high to overcome and create a real soundstage, and today while you are driving home, look around your truck and you tell me.. to create a realistic stage, where would you have put speakers? cause trust me, i didnt do this on a whim, i did it after months of designing and research. if it doesnt work, i am out a 150$ dash. big deal. its a truck and i can fix it. I'm not bashing you, just letting you know I been doin this for 18+ years and this isnt the first pair of speakers i have installed.

B-Rad, thanks for the support, as for covering the grills in suede, just the mounting area will be sueded. the mesh grills will be used to protect the speakers, so yes i will have fun with the eq and the TIME DELAY as you mentioned, this will be the major factor and benefit of this processor i have. and BTW i am getting rid of the components in the kicks. i will have a 6.5" mid bass in the doors and will be using the location i built in the kicks as another enclosure for another 6.5" midbass. crossed at 200hz and down with 250 watts to each side with dual 6.5inch drivers they shouldnt be directional at all and should supply plenty of killer punchy bass that Metallica and Godsmack are known for.

i will let you all know how things turn out, i know i cant wait to hear this thing. dash should be covered today and you central Iowa guys know i wont sleep till its rocking tonight!! I can see it now, sittin in the high school parking lot so i dont piss off the neighbors! :)

I dont know how many of you have been in USAC or IASCA lately, but RTA is not part of judging anymore, and besides, have you ever listened to a perfect "40"? it sounds like A$$!

I haven't been to a competition in like 10 years. If so, I am glad they do not use the RTA in the judging anymore. I am in total agreement with you, a perfect 40 doesn't sound good to me at all. In fact, I like rearfill where the IASCA people consider "rearfill" a curse word. The RTA was used because it was an objective scoring method and it diluted the judges bias in the overall score. To each their own, I am sure yours will sound much different than the typical truck stereo (for the better IMO). :cheers:

Yeah, the kicks don't work well in large trucks period, due to the more upright seating position (compared to an average car where kicks work fine).

Kevin, I agree with you on rear fill. I've sat in several winning IASCA cars over the years where the sound stage sounds flat and lifeless without any rear fill. To me, you bring in just enough rear sound level to start to pull the stage off of the windshield, in towards the center of the car, then back off just a hair. Rear fill can even take the place of a center channel in the right situation and/or car.

i know nothing when it comes to tuning sound, but ill have to agree. i hate it when i cant hear anything from behind me. it drives me nuts in my reg cab s10. but im not changing a thing bc im getting a silverado in a month or so.

rear fill :rolleyes: Ive YET to have 1 single person notice I do not have rear speakers in my truck, I absolutely hate the way rear speakers sound in our trucks, they are not even rear speakers they are like side speakers, all I hear is driver rear door.

fast4popper, your work looks great.. Probably not the design I would of came up with, but I can see it working out very well. 5.1 in the truck is going to be totally kick ass and its funny you have longed for it as well, because when I got my truck that was the origional idea I was going to do. (yes I know I bashed rear speakers but if you are building a true 5.1 they are awesome as long as they are in the proper location) what are you plans for the rest of the truck? are you going to run the rear door speakers? staying with the 4 -8's?

oh yeah, and I have to give you props for going with a plan and not being scared, I love the way you look it... If i break it I can fix it. Most people are scared of the outcome but some dont worry that because they know it will either be amazing or they will just have change it. :cheers:

rear fill :rolleyes: Ive YET to have 1 single person notice I do not have rear speakers in my truck, I absolutely hate the way rear speakers sound in our trucks, they are not even rear speakers they are like side speakers, all I hear is driver rear door.

fast4popper, your work looks great.. Probably not the design I would of came up with, but I can see it working out very well. 5.1 in the truck is going to be totally kick ass and its funny you have longed for it as well, because when I got my truck that was the origional idea I was going to do. (yes I know I bashed rear speakers but if you are building a true 5.1 they are awesome as long as they are in the proper location) what are you plans for the rest of the truck? are you going to run the rear door speakers? staying with the 4 -8's?

oh yeah, and I have to give you props for going with a plan and not being scared, I love the way you look it... If i break it I can fix it. Most people are scared of the outcome but some dont worry that because they know it will either be amazing or they will just have change it. :cheers:

thanks for the compliments. I tell you what, my USAC car (world finals 1st place in Pro class 2002) has no rear fill. not that i hate rear fill, but i with 300 watts per kick, i dont think rear fill was needed.

as for plans on this SS. keeping the 4-8s, and the amps i have. the doors have the 6.5" midbass drivers in them and i plan on adding another set to the kicks for a lil more punch. the rear doors have 4" components in them already. the power layout looks like this. MTX 7804 (100x4) to the 4 corners, MTX 7801 (1200x1@1ohm) to the 4-8s under the rear seat firing down, and and XTANT 1.1 (100x1) to the center. as for the rest, i have all alpine, w205 indash, pxa-h701 processor, 3 additional 5,8 inch alpine screens (1 over head and 1 in each headrest) Alpine Navigation, ALpine external DVA5210 DVD player, sirius, and ipod as well as a Myron and Davis video switcher to toggle all screens to what they want to watch, and a rear view camera. I think thats it.

on to the next reply...

well the dash is done. i have been working on it all morning. i have one thing to say HOLY SH!T it came out looking phenominal!!! so i went to work with the vents and the install today. i just finished the wiring of the speakers. without any EQing yet, i can say it sounds sooo much better than the previous kick panels i installed. i was worried about near side Bias and it barely has it. tonally it sounds good, again without any EQing yet. and for grins, i threw in some Godsmack on DVD and was grinning ear to ear. I will spend some time on it tonight and get it sounding better. I have a 3 hour drive tomorrow morning and it should prove interesting, i cant wait.

this weekend I will have access to a few industry insiders and i cant wait to see what they can do to tweak this new toy i have created.

i will get pics up asap...