Supercharger install?

jrock80

I am seriously considering a Radix supercharger for my truck. I know I cannot do it myself, i have a tough time doing simple things so I wont even attempt this. Where did you guys get yours installed? I am in Erie, PA and there is no one here that I would even trust to do it. Bunch of hacks around here, I cant even get my oil changed right.

Other thing is, what would need to be done to beef up the transmission and how much would that work cost also?

Anyone want to start a fund for me to help my truck faster :D

I just graduated college and this is my baby, I plan on having it for a long time...

tough call on where to get it done.

as for the trans, i recomend buying an extra pcm and having it programmed with better than magna programming. i also recomend having a shift kit and servo's changed in the trans to start with. you're better off with one post per question btw.

The difference in the 03 and 04 is the fuel system. The 03's have a return fuel system and the 04's are returnless and have the fuel pressure regulator in the tank.

Thanks for the info. Could you comment on the pros and cons of each style?

After all the thoughts and considerations I would love to add the supercharger to my truck. But after seeing and reading about these trannys not holding up too well I think I will wait. Maybe someday when I have a little more extra money and can do it right, I just dont wanna burn up the transmission and be out of a warranty too.

I can only think of a few that have gone and I don't think any of those were due to the Radix alone. The Radix is not breaking transmissions all over the place. I can think of one guy in particular (chime in Dave) who has a whole bunch of miles on has Radix and the tranny is still fine. Not to mention the guy with probably the strongest truck on the site (yea, you Ben). I think it is mostly how you drive it with the Radix. I by no means am naive enough to belive that the extra power doesn't shorten the life of our transmissions, but when treated right they will probably last a lot longer than you think. :thumbs:

The Radix alone is not too big of a deal. It's when you start adding all of the other stuff that really starts stressing the tranny. You do have to drive it somewhat smart though. Do the shift kit and a bigger tranny cooler and it will help.

I am not very hard on the truck at all, I have never even put the pedal to the floor in the truck yet. I dont plan on racing it but I like to have the power there if I need it. I am looking at things for the long haul, I plan on keeping the truck for the next few years (I will be making payments for the next 5) so I am hoping to have it at least that long. Is this a smart idea for someone in it for the long haul?

I just talked to a Mr. Goodwrench serviceman yesterday about installing a Radix. The reason why I called them is because I don't want to void the warranty if something happens to the motor with the Radix installed. I asked him how much for the install and he told me $900.00. He also told me that they would have to supply the parts. This kind of tripped me out! I asked him, if it's the exact same part number that you are going to order, why can't I just order it myself and just have you install it??? I was thinking maybe I could get a better deal on the Radix than the dealership. Basically, it boiled downed to them making a hell of a lot of money off of supplying and installing the part. He said the dealership could not warrant the Radix unless they supplied it! He also told me that Magnuson gives them a warranty price per part if it breaks so that the mechanics still get paid. :confused::confused::confused: Anyways, it seems like this is the only way to go if you don't want to void out your warranty, or like some people here, have some connections at the dealership.

BTW, he quoted me a price of $7400.00 for the whole install including parts and labor + tax.

Late- Alex

I just talked to a Mr. Goodwrench serviceman yesterday about installing a Radix. The reason why I called them is because I don't want to void the warranty if something happens to the motor with the Radix installed. I asked him how much for the install and he told me $900.00. He also told me that they would have to supply the parts. This kind of tripped me out! I asked him, if it's the exact same part number that you are going to order, why can't I just order it myself and just have you install it??? I was thinking maybe I could get a better deal on the Radix than the dealership. Basically, it boiled downed to them making a hell of a lot of money off of supplying and installing the part. He said the dealership could not warrant the Radix unless they supplied it! He also told me that Magnuson gives them a warranty price per part if it breaks so that the mechanics still get paid. :confused::confused::confused: Anyways, it seems like this is the only way to go if you don't want to void out your warranty, or like some people here, have some connections at the dealership.

BTW, he quoted me a price of $7400.00 for the whole install including parts and labor + tax.

Late- Alex

Ouch. That's a lot. Mine was around $5K installed, parts and labor - everything, by an experienced, reputable shop. Makes me wonder what that other $2400 is for. Peace of mind? :confused:

I'm gonna drive my truck however I'm gonna drive my truck, it's not like I going to baby it if I am concerned about warranty issues, and tear it up if I'm not. I looked at my driving habits and realized that 95% of the time I will keep my foot out of the blower, so why bother with something I'd likely never need?

Worse case scenario I blow up my tranny, then spend $2400 getting a bullet-proof Level 5 replacement tranny. Then I'm just in the same place as if I'd had a $7400 install. Actually I'm in a much better place, because now I've got a bullet-proof tranny in my truck. :thumbs:

If I had the $7400 install and then blew up my tranny, when they fixed it (I'd be more prone to say 'if' they fixed it, even if there was a warranty....I would be very cautious and read the fine print), I'd only end up with a rebuilt stock tranny replacement, ready to be blown up again. Screw that.

Fun guy, you got a hell of a deal...... '

When we do the SS's here we charge about $7100.00 for the Polished version with the upgraded heat exchanger. Are they giving you a price on a polished unit or the silver unit? If its the Silver unit then they are about 800.00 high. There is alot of work involved in these including dropping the tank and intalling the new fuel pump.

Was that at the Cerritos Auto Square Mr. Goodwrench place? They did mine, and it was $6900 (including installation, tax and warranty). But that was almost a year ago. I hope their prices havn't gone up that much.

Archived