Serious Vibrations After Drop.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where did u get your 8 degree shims all i can find is the 2 4 6 degree shims?

redrock4x4.com. Part number RE1469. 3/8 center pin bolts are included. I had to drill out the holes though...the shims came with 5/16 holes.

yeah i think you have the shims in the wrong way , the fat end should be point to the front of the truck and skinny end at the rear.

see this pic the left is the rear of the truck and the right is the front

DSC03471.jpg

truck looks good man! i would honestly try to ELIMINATE the vibration completely because it will only lead to bigger problems :chevy:

I've tried pretty much everything with the 8 degree shim being the best solution. I think other guys on here with the hanger-shackle combo ALL have some kind of vibration..some more severe then others. Of course it's all relative to how we individually precieve it. Some may say they don't have a vibration where in fact they do. Their threshhold is just a bit different. :chevy:

From the angle of your driveshaft, it almost looks like you put in a shim backwards. I lowered mine 2" with shackles and it's not even close to the angle you're showing.

I agree it looks like the shim is in backwards, I also have 2" lowering shackles and no shims, no problems.

i just have to pull out the old 2 degree shims and start from scratch because the driveshaft angle is way to extreme, and the awd trucks all have a 1 piece drive shaft not a 2 piece. see attached pic for what the driveline angle is now.

That angle does look extreme; after I dropped my rear 2-inches I have a slight vibration from 68 to 75 mph. According to the forum at the beginning of the suspension section you need about a degree of correction for every inch dropped but, I could not find anyone to tell me what the range of allowable pinion angles are required for a smooth ride. That would indicate which shim is correct before you finished the correction. The nest time I’m at the dealer I’ll try and find out what is an acceptable range for the pinion angle. With that being said you angle looks extreme, maybe you do have the shims in backwards. :chevy:

That angle does look extreme; after I dropped my rear 2-inches I have a slight vibration from 68 to 75 mph. According to the forum at the beginning of the suspension section you need about a degree of correction for every inch dropped but, I could not find anyone to tell me what the range of allowable pinion angles are required for a smooth ride. That would indicate which shim is correct before you finished the correction. The nest time I'm at the dealer I'll try and find out what is an acceptable range for the pinion angle. With that being said you angle looks extreme, maybe you do have the shims in backwards. :chevy:

when that pic was taken there were no shims in it... gust got my 8 degree shims today, will be installing them here a bit

So you have shackle/hangers right? for a 4"drop? Also can you post pics from the side? i want to get an idea of how low that sits. Did the shim raise it any? sorry for all the questions.lol oh and good to know you got the vibrations taken care of.

im at work right now i can take pics later tonight or tomorow, yea i have the shackel hanger for a 4" drop and the 2" drop spindles up front. 8 degree shims took care of my vibrations. yea the shims raised it a little but not noticable. about 1/2 inch at best. i also cut the first nub off the front bumpstops and lowered the torsion bars 4 complete turns. for anothe inch or so up front. all 4 corneres of the truck are 32 1/2 inches fron the ground( measures from the center of the wheel well to the ground). like the way it looks just a harsh ride over bumps. would benifit from a c notch but thats not going to happen.