Sponsorships - Questions, Comments, And Haters

usabodyguard

SO over the past 2 years of owning my 2004 silverado, I have dumped ridiculous amounts of money into my truck... i have done many mods which were later taken off and sold, at a loss... i have blown through 4 transmissions... and my truck has been in repair or mod shops MORE than it has been driven...

As of last year i had accumulated in excess of 30k in receipts for mods.... I am probably another 20k into it since then... I have spent a lot of time, energy, and headache into this project... all on my own accord, period.

Once i got my first magazine pic in the readers rides section last year in Truckin' and after I won truck of the month at PT.net and CFT here on our site i decided i wanted to make this a complete show truck project... and started in on a plan and decided I would need some help in the process... I did my due diligence and contacted many companies and showed them pictures of my truck and asked for their consideration for some sponsorship help.... after several REJECTIONS, i did not stop... i finally got some help from Baer... a complete set of their brakes for close to 2k... NOT free... but a great deal none the less.

From there it started, I would contact many companies... Many said NO, some said ok - we'll give you parts at cost, and very few for free... but all these came at a cost... loyalty to brand was first, sticker placement on my truck was second, and thirdly, the deciding factor in all of this, magazine coverage. I must have contaced Dynatech headers 6 or 7 times looking for a sponsorship... I wanted a set of their headers - I wasnt going to take no for an answer... but each time i called, i got a NO, thank you. 6 no's... and i didnt give up... i went to SEMA last your almost specifically to make some connections... at the top of the list - DYNATECH... i had to stop by their booth - 2 days in a row in order to talk to the guy in charge... it was only after all that effort that they agreed to be apart of the project... so it isnt as simple as some think.

I dont have some magical wand to get free products, i wish i did, but what i do have is commitment to this project and a return for products - placement in a magazine (tech articles, etc)... I MADE connections in this industry... before 2 years ago i had no idea what half of the things i know now are, i didnt know anyone in the automotive industry... i initiated these connections and contacts.

I often get comments like "Must be nice... " or "how do i get free stuff" and always... "oh he gets everything for free..." at which i laugh and know the person behind that comment has their head up their ass...

the world is filled with sponsorships... look at the following:

every motorsport - NHRA, NASCAR, INDY, etc all is dependent upon sponsorships

All pro sports and athletes - NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and the list goes on...

my point in all of this is dont be a hater if your car or truck is not sponsored, if you really want sponsorship(s) go out a build a truck worth sponsoring, dont bitch about it or hate on others who have taken the time and hard work to accomplish a kick ass car.

Here are a few tips... to help you out, stuff that worked for me....

• Hire a professional photographer and get some Great pics of your car or truck... spend the $200 on a photoshoot... even if you never get 1 sponsor, you will have some great photos to keep in 30 years from now to remember your car/truck

• Create a vehicle profile / proposal... highlight EVERYTHING you have done to your ride... with pictures of the whole process along with a list of mods and sponsors if any.

• Give potential sponsors a reason to sponsor you... maybe you have a connection with a magazine, or an event or plan on doing the whole car show circuit... be as detailed as possible... show them benefits of why they should sponsor you.

• Be ameniable - dont ask for free shit, ask them if they want to be involved with the project... leave it in their hands what they want to offer... they will let you know what they are willing to offer, it is from there the negotiations can begin.

• Be assertive but dont pester them... it can take several phone calls and or emails to get your proposal in front of a decision maker... even then it may take awhile to get a reply.

• Be prepared to sign contracts... i know i had to sign a few already that made stipulations of sticker placement, number of car shows, magazine commitments, etc... this can include any number of things you are repsonsible for. Do you think if jeff gordon lost every race of the 2008 season his sponsors wouldnt take notice?

• Have a final vision of your project... write it down, put all of the parts you want on a bulletin board and look at them every day... know exactly what you want your ride to be when it is finished... this is critical... looking at the list of parts will help you see the final product, and if you can see it, you can show someone else your vision.

• Finally, enjoy the journey... cause this it what it is about - the final project is great but it is the journey that makes it even greater... you will break parts, stuff will go wrong, and bad times will happen along the way, but this is what it is all about... and of course, be prepared to spend some $$... everything comes at a cost.

so inclosing, dont be a hater, appreciate the what someone has done, there is a lot more behind a project than you assume...

there is no "sponsorship handbook" that can magically make parts appear in your mailbox... it is all about commitment, hard work, $, and MAKING connections...

i hope this has shed a little light on the subject of sponsorships... those of you who already have sponsorships know what I am talking about, those who want to travel down this road, I hope this has helped.

:chevy:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the reasons i know i could have never been sponsored was due to military service. I could be gone deployed somewhere the whole car show season and then that would be letting my sponsors down. Changing shifts and working weekends on call i could have never put the time or dedication towards it that i needed. But im glad i have a better perception of how things work. I dont necessarily want free parts but maybe some gas money to make it to the shows.

Great write up Dave. You made some great points that are dead on bud. Now I’ll inject my 02.

In case you all haven’t figured it out yet I've been West Coast tournament bass fishing for quite a few years so I've got plenty of experience in getting sponsors. In addition to my automotive sponsors I also have quite a few fishing sponsors. The biggest trick to getting sponsors is when you approach them with your proposal for possible sponsorship you need to convince them that by giving you some kind of assistance you will increase their sales as well as be a good spokesman for them. Never come across like, "Give me stuff" Make sure your proposal is professional as well as interjecting a bit of personality in it.

Remember, they get hundreds if not thousands of requests daily so you need to stand out. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself, why should I give this guy my product? What’s in it for me? How can I benefit? Just like Dave said, always let them make the decision to give you a full sponsorship, free stuff, or a partial one, meaning you get the product at a reduced price.

Be sure to follow through with your commitments and contractual agreements because once you pick up some major sponsors the word gets out and then sponsors start to approach you asking if they can sponsor you. I currently have several companies that have approached me and I'm contemplating accepting their offers. I have also turned down more than one sponsor because I did not believe in their product.

Like I said before with any sponsors you have to sell yourself and it really helps if you offer them something they don’t already have. Follow up with phone calls inquiring if they had a chance to review your proposal? The big trick to this part is to be a little persistent without being pushy.

When you talk to them remember a few of the personal things they might have mentioned about them, make notes if need be and the next time you talk mention it. Example, if they say something to the effect that they have not been able to review it because they have a sick child and have not been able to have allot of extra time then ask when would be a good time for you to call back. When you call back ALWAYS address them by their first name, makes it more personal, then somewhere in the conversation ask how their child is doing and REALLY be concerned.

No matter what the outcome, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remain positive and professional! You would be surprised just how "Tight" the major manufactures are, if word gets out that your pissy with an attitude problem then you might as well write off the possibility of anyone sponsoring you. I have seen it happen to more than one person in the bass fishing circuit.

In closing let me say that Dave is 100% correct, acquiring sponsors is not easy. Its hard work getting them and keeping them is just as difficult.

Mike

Dave's right. None of this is easy and more importantly none of it comes FREE. I've gone through it with numerous sponsors, none for my truck but for my surfing. Sponsors are the most important thing you can have to progress in your sport or project. I have busted my ass for my sponsors, loosing time at work getting ready for contests, traveling ALL over Cali and some of the world, and being given some very strict rules. I've had in contracts that I could be waived(dropped) if seen wearing T-shirts or clothing from certain competing companies. Being sponsored is a GREAT thing, Don't hate on the people who have it, get good at what you do and get known. I can't count how many friends think I'm an **** cuz i dont show up with free boards for them.

Mike and Santagf is right... sponsor A often times wont let you have sponsor B... because a conflict of interest.

and just like mike said, I too have turned down at least 3 sponsors who contacted me... i respectfully declined for reasons of my own volition...

and as well i have had friends ask me to "hook" them up... which is hard to do when it is hard enough getting yourself hooked up...

well Dave i cant say im mad at u for write this up cuz i have heard people say just that "he gets a lot of $hit for free" but i know that aint true even before i read this but i have to give u credit for working hard at getting ur truck at where it is now(which reminds me PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and where it's headed. anyways can u hook me up with some free stuff :confused::lol::D JFWY Diesel :thumbs:

-Rob

Want to add my .02 cents if I may, for those interested in following in his footsteps or just curious...

What Dave has done requires a lot of work and alot of rejection. I walked the SEMA floor with him for 2 days and watched him get rejected 9 times out of 10 and told "not interested", "we don't do that", "we're all out of sponsorship products right now", "come back to us at the begining of the fiscal year", "We only deal with companies, no private sponsorship", "Looks like a great truck but we're not interested", "maybe later", etc...

Handling/managing all the rejection received in those 2 days is something %95 of people cannot handle...me included. :sigh: As he gained sponsors little by little I gained alot of respect for Dave and what it takes to talk and obtain sponsors. He even got rejected by a good friend of ours who we knew and I knew that hurt! :uhoh: Gaining sponsors is work and is not easy at all and requires lots of prep work. Not too many people have seen or know of the 50 page three ring binder he has on his truck with pictures, parts list, sponsors on board, Past/Present/Future directions of the vehicle, advertizers on board, etc...

The biggest misnomer about sponsorship is it's absolutely free and you get stuff because they are your friends. Sponsors are running a buissness, you have to be a proffesional and a buissnessman in order to gain their trust and interest in you. It's not let's be friends and now you can give me stuff. Dave has approched his build with a business metality and profesionalism which he is able to convey with the sponsors.

Finally, to put it another way...I've spent more money on my truck than Dave has... at least up till now. :jester: However I have maybe half the stuff he has and if I could do it again after seeing the work he's put into sponsorship to get those parts...I still wouldn't do it his way, I don't have the ability or the drive necessary to do it, and I already have a job, spank you very much! :smash:

Edited by Spoolin (see edit history)

yea I remember when I first tried to get sponsors when I was building my mustang. There are tons of companies that sell products for mustangs but that didn't make it any easier. After getting into so many rules and regulations with companies and how many shows I had to attend and all the stuff I had to do, it was like having a full time job. One company even wanted me to drive my car from Athens GA to Alabama during the week just for dyno time. Needless to say my job prevented me from doing this. And then all the parts were going to be at cost, which is better than full price at least. All in all I ended up having to scrap the sponsorship project because I just could not handle it. What you guys have done with sponsorship projects is truly amazing. I for one give you guys major respect! :cheers::cheers: And not to mention you guys have some beautiful trucks!