Custom Exhaust

Bryan Roush

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some pics of my setup. Let me know what you guys think. It sounds awesome but it drones inside pretty bad, I decided it was because of the side exit. You can see where I passed the drivers side pipe where the driveshaft would be on a AWD truck.

I had to turn the drivers side cutout at an angle to make it the same height at the passenger side one.

KellyPerformance,

I wanted to know about the resonators you used cause I could add some in the pipe where it turns back under the muffler. I would like to & my plan is to remount the muffler like you have (when I see a pic), delete the cats & relocate the cutouts to where the cats are now.

sorry man, i havent been able to be on much lately... just saw this. your system looks good. your gunna have to leave it that way to keep that large muffler. otherwise it can be done, without cats and with very steep bends out of the muffler. IMO (other than weight, which lets be honest- whats 30 lbs on a 5200lb truck...?) that is going to perform better than fine, espically since you used all mandrel bends. i put a probe near the end of my exhaust to check back pressure, and i have 1 3/4" LTs, no cats, 2.5" true dual each thru an 18" resonator then through an 18" magnaflow. there was a little back pressure, almost exactly where i wanted it (on 550 whp). yes, its not that loud... i was aiming for that. NO drone, and its actually less noise on the highway than stock. yes you read right :) .

i read that you had alot of drone... and like i said, your going to with almost any side exit. i have never driven/ridden in a lightning that didnt either. my truck had the 22" body, 28" length dual in/out muffler, resonators-16", and resonated/packed 4" tips (2.5" thru). my truck was so loud that just to listen to music at highway speeds i would pop the amp breakers from overtemp. i had to be that loud to hear the mid frequencies.... so just out of curiosity i moved the same setup and ran two completely straight (temporary, shits n giggles) pipes to the back... much better on drone, but still slightly there (im clinically OCD, and i hate drone so... i dont need to explain) i cut it off at the headers and redid it. its dumped now and like i said above, at cruise it absolutely silent. im sure 90% of the members, well the ones i know :lol: , would hate my system

ANYWAYS sorry for the long post, to answer your question- i used some generic 4" body 18" long resonators, no packing or anything... if i were you, and you are going to remove the cats which is going to render you def most of the time you drive (in a drone way, not a sheer noise way), use the round magnaflows. depending on how quiet you want it, you can vary the body size. if i were you id use the 5" round, 14" body round mufflers as resonators. then from there you can go up to the 6" body, or 7" body. but i promise you the 5" will not even start to cancel out the added noise from removing those cats... and offset mufflers/round mufflers from magnaflow offer the same flow but a little reduced noise level, just so ya know :D

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Yeah the exit in front of the rear tire is very popular here in houston. Its cheap like 180 with muffler tips and install 200 or a bit more if they rip you off and you get less back pressure i believe. I used to have it dumped before the rear axle but the sound was crazy loud. So i got it dumped over and behind the rear axel but i like tips. So i ended up with rectangular tips in front of the rear tire with a super 44. I like this one better because the regular 44's have a rap loud of chambers and IMHO they sounds like SH*T when you take out your cats 3 friends of mine sound like that. I went with the 44's they have barley any chambers and without cats and cut outs mine sounds good and not as much drone as with the dumps. I'll see if i can get some picks up but idk how ill try tomorrow.