Fuel Pump Went T*** Up!

99lss1

Well fortunately It is under warranty. Total cost 918.00. Cost me 100.00. was replaced with a Delco pump and is warrantied now for life. If I had done it myself i probably would have replaced it with a Walbro or a Racetronix. Since i do all the work on my Camaro, It is nice to have someone else do the work on the truck.

Well fortunately It is under warranty. Total cost 918.00. Cost me 100.00.

Good lord! I would have pulled the guy across the counter and smacked him silly if he gave me that bill for a fuel pump swap! :uhoh:

2004+ trucks dont have external fuel filters. The filter comes with the pump assembly.

With diagnosis, labor, parts markup to cover overhead and warranty problems if the pump fails, the price seems about right. Do you expect labor for free? Or parts at cost?

With diagnosis, labor, parts markup to cover overhead and warranty problems if the pump fails, the price seems about right. Do you expect labor for free? Or parts at cost?

I would expect a fair price and realistic labor charges. :wtf:

The fuel pump according to GM Parts Direct is $220 (of which you can upgrade to a high flow Walbro for less, including necessary hardware). I have personally swapped a fuel pump on a 2004 AWD Silverado SS in my garage without the propper tools in less than 90 minutes with the help of a guy that has never even changed his own oil. I am not a professional mechanic.

Does the remaining $700.00 cover the 1 hour of labor, mark-up for overhead and future warranty concerns? :uhoh:

The price seems inflated to me of which I would have an issue with if I was told to pay it. Reminds me of when I took my truck in for inspection a year after I bought it. The only issue they found was my windshield wipers were worn so they took it upon themselves to change them for me. I look over the bill only to find that I was charged $39 x 2 for the blades and 15 minutes of labor for installation. Total cost for 2 GM replacement windshield wipers...$106.00. After a 10 minute talk with the service manager, he AGREED that the price was 50% higher than it should be and adjusted the bill. For my troubles he took his business card and wrote on the back of the card "one free oil change". I gave it to a lady waiting for her car upon my exit.

Bottom line is "My Other SS" only paid $100.00 so he got a good deal from that perspective! :cheers: