Ta Rear Girdle Leaking...

the other night, due to my awesome one tire burnouts and highway vibration... i inspected my diff and finally put that TA cover on. i found the bearings to be shot, and the little spring mechanism in the diff was sticking, so i fixed it. anyways, put the cover on after machining the old burned on gasket, per procedure... used a new cover, new gasket. went to fill it, and to my surprise (and wallets dismay) it took about 8 quarts of fluid :wtf: this was surprising, but more capacity=more cooling=better performance=better life, etc etc. vibrations gone, diff locks correctly now...

i get home tonight, and i see a little puddle under the axle. my driveway is on a slant, so the headlights lit it up perfectly, and it also tilts the fluid in the diff obviously. i cleaned it all up to find where its orign was, and its leaking from the driver side bearing cap support. they are both torqued to 5 ft/lbs, lock nuts very tight. anyone experience this?

Eight quarts??? I'm thinking you might have overfilled 4-5 quarts.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: A 14 bolt should need any more than 4 quarts max with a TA Girdle. Standard fill with the OE cover is 3 quarts. I have had good luck with my TA Girdle so far, I am thinking yours is way overful. I would give TA Performance a call about it today anyway.....

well, i am aware of the 3 quart capacity on a stock 14 bolt but... this cover, like most GM units, is full when the fluid begins to come out of the fill hole. there is no "given" or mandatory capacity. the truck was level, and it took 8 quarts before the fluid was up to the fill hole. this is no surprise, seeing as the hole is way up high.

i intially was just going to pipe seal the threads, but i just didnt think i should have to. seeing as many have used this cover with no leaks.

The leaking of oil from the cover support bolts are a common issue with all girdle

covers. I always use Permatex Locktite PST thread sealant 592 (Teflon paste).

The good news is that you don’t have to drain the fluid. All you have to do is

back the bolts out about 1/2 inch, and spray some brake cleaner on them. Then

you can apply the sealant and re-torque the bolts. Wipe the excess off and

tighten the locknut. Also most girdle covers do not add volume to the diff

housing. Your factory oil filling capacity should be followed. :thumbs:

i hear ya steve.... but you know im ASE so im not COMPLETELY retarded lol :fingersx:

i literally was mind boggled... i kept putting a quart in, and kept putting my pinky in to see if i felt fluid... nothing. WTF... kept filling it, then it finally came up right below the fill hole. it wasnt leaking out anywhere, and didnt for several days. it is a pretty large housing, and that girdle is MUCH wider than the stock one, thats nearly flat.

i hear ya steve.... but you know im ASE so im not COMPLETELY retarded lol :fingersx:

:rolleyes::jester: I'm just surprised, I've got the 10-bolt cover and TA told me that the capacity was the same whether I used their slim or regular cover, and it wasn't much more than stock. I guess they made the 14-bolt regular cover come in a size DDD-cup :D

Mr. P. :)

Not accussing you of being retarded by no means, but I have to question whether or not you used the new fill plug in the cover or the differential? While the cover possibly adds capacity, you still need to go by the plug in the differential. If not the rear-end will end up way over full, causing axle seal leaks. Like the others have said, pipe thread sealant on the plugs and RTV works good on the studs.

Edited by Bear (see edit history)

Not accussing you of being retarded by no means, but I have to question whether or not you used the new fill plug in the cover or the differential? While the cover possibly adds capacity, you still need to go by the plug in the differential. If not the rear-end will end up way over full, causing axle seal leaks. Like the others have said, pipe thread sealant on the plugs and RTV works good on the studs.

The housing of a 14 bolt only has a drain plug, the fill plug is part of the OE 14 bolt steel cover......the only fill plug he could have used was the one on the TA Girdle.

The housing of a 14 bolt only has a drain plug, the fill plug is part of the OE 14 bolt steel cover......the only fill plug he could have used was the one on the TA Girdle.

As I don't have the 14-Bolt, I didn't know that is how they were equipped, but I had similar issues with the 10-Bolt. The plug in the cover was a good deal higher than the factory plug, causing it to take way to much lube. I understand what you’re saying (it was the only one he could use), but it sure makes for a crappy situation trying to obtain the proper level.