Cam ?

so normal driving with a TBTC will be just the same even in the gas? would a 3200...when you launch does it feel like alot of torque? or just a hard 1st-2nd shift? like having a shift kit?

I have a 3000 stall PI and it drives like stock until your foot is in it, then hold on! I agree with everyone here that if you are after a mid 13 ET, then you will need a 3000+ stall to make it happen.

f'n moving! You have to drive a stalled car to see what it feels like. You can have the same HP/engine/bla bla and a converter can drop off .5sec off your time.

I was running 14.2 with cam only, no headers, and a stock trans :(

I could have been good into the 13's with a converter and my trans being beefed up.

do what zippy says :)

IMO it sounds like you should

1. get your trans-shift kit /converter

2. do the cam swap.

3. could use some injectors, maybe flex fuel ones if this is your only set of mods

4. Good tuning in person (this is key)

5. go run 13.8

i have the shift kit already...injectors flex fuel injectors? and the tuning in person is kinda hard since i live in MO...i will keep my stock heads now..and i guess look for a higher stall

Zippy,

Do you know if the stock lifters can be used or if they need to be replaced when installing the xtreme cam?

I'd go with the Comp Cam: 54-428-11

Go with the 918 springs: 26918-16

Pushrods 7955-16

Gasket kit from GM: 12499228

Use the stock chain unless you have over 100k on it. Only replace it with a stock one if needed. Use the stock retainers and keepers.

For the converter, use GM part number 24228708. More stall would make it alot quicker out of the hole, but that depends on what you want to spend and how you want it to drive. The GM TB converter should be good for 100k+ miles.

Do you know if the stock lifters can be used or if they need to be replaced when installing the xtreme cam?

The stock lifters do good unless you have a ton of miles or want to rev higher.

you would want to replace the lifters with a cam as tthe old ones have worn to the old cam

I dont think so, with roller on the lifters and all the oil they dont match like solid stuff (solid lifter/adjustable rockers) does

Keebler85-While the TBTC is the most affordable, I have found a guy local who built me a custom converter for little more $$ and I got to pick the stall and he worked his magic. For tuning, ask the tuner what cams they have tuned, then they will have alot of the basics of that set up down. ie. If Zippy had a good running truck like mine but was using 42" injector instead of flex fuel ones, I would get the injectors he has tuned with...kind of confusing, but no where near as hard as learning tuners to fix a small differance between you and the next guy.

you would want to replace the lifters with a cam as tthe old ones have worn to the old cam

i ran my stock lifters on my new cam for some time, like Joe said the roller does not wear to the cam the same as a flat tappet would. The only reason i changed lifters was i thought i may be crushing the stock ones and losing a little bit of lift with a .600+ lift cam....but who knows if i was or not.

And remember if you choose to do lifters you have to pull the heads, unlike an older small block.