4.56 Gears

lost some bottom end with the 4l80e conversion thinking of switching to 4.56 gears , just wondering if any other AWD guys are running 4.56 ? if its working for them

I have 4.56's in mine. I had them left over from a previous combo and since I switched to the Magnacharger a couple of years ago, I think I would just as soon had 4.10's (mine came with 3.73's). Due to the 4L65 having such a low 1st gear, it just blows through 1st. It shouldn't be as bad with the 4L80 having a taller 1st gear. On the other hand in 4th I'm turning about 2300rpm at 70mph, which isn't too bad. It would be a little worse with the 4L80. With all the low end that's available with the roots style supercharger, I don't feel like you need as much gear as other combo's and I'm saying that based on the 6.0L and a 112. I can't imagine what yours feels like with a bigger motor and a 122. I have factory sized 20's on Joe Gibbs wheels, which are heavy as hell. I don't know what your 22's weight, but I imagine they are none too light either and the gears surely help get things a-rollin. All in all I really don't have any complaints and it does launch pretty hard.....LOL. On a side note a friend of mine has a '05 Sierra Denali with a 112 and 24's, with taller tires than I have; he switched from 4.10's to 4.56's and wouldn't have it any other way. His wouldn't spin a tire with the 4.10's, yet can break them loose pretty easily with lower the gears.

Edited by Bear (see edit history)

well your f'ed for thr front diff since there is no options for a locker or anything, just gears.

for the rear id say minumum detroit tru trac or an eaton . may want to think of a 14 bolt rear. with less teeth on the gear your compromising stregnth and a girdle and studed mains would be in my plans for sure.

what size is your stall?

i can also pretty muc guarantee you will see 4th gear in the 1/4 too depending on tire size.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

You have cubes and boost on your side, I would stay with the 4.10 gear. The 4.56 gear would just creat tire spin and an annoying highway ride. It will also make the pinion gear alot smaller and likely break it if you hook.