How Do I Prevent Theft Via Tow Truck?

My truck is lowered 3/4, and it's still tall enough to clear a parking curb, in fact still tall enough to safely drive off a sidewalk. So it still has enough clearance to be picked-up by a wheel-lift aparatus on a tow truck. It IS low enough you cannot slide underneath the truck, so no chance of loosing the catalytic converters (if I still had them :P) or otherwise accessing underneath the truck; I still can crawl under the rear bumper and bed of my truck.

I have heard a couple repo men tell me that there are a couple things you can do to frustrate an attempt with a wheel lift, but funny how they never go into details...

Mr. P.

LoJack DOES work provided (a) the local police department has a car equipped with a LoJack scanner, and (b) the thief does not put the vehicle inside a mostly metal structure (metal shed, trailer, or container). Personally IMO the GPS-enabled locating units are much better, because when activated they actually phone a call center and report live the location of the unit, that is until its power, antenna, or reception is interrupted.

Mr. P.

pull in straight and crank your wheels all the way.....the older models it worked better because the steering would lock.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect on the gun law...might want to call our local law enforcement friend and ask :)...

You can correct me next time I see you. :thumbs:

pull in straight and crank your wheels all the way.....the older models it worked better because the steering would lock.

Now this I've been told is not a winning strategy, I've been told that even if the wheels are cranked the towed vehicle will still drag in a straight line :confused:

Mr. P. :)

Man that sucks but couldn't you either back in to a parking spot so then they would have to take the drive shaft off if they cant get to the rear wheels to pick it up, and that would take a little while to do. Also i think you could pull in forwards and turn your wheels all the way one way or the other so they can't tow it cause it wouldn't pull straight not to sure though thats all i could think of

Doesn't matter how you park it, a brazen thief with a roll back can winch it and drag it up on a flat bed.

Lojack? :dunno:

Does anyone have it?

I have LoJack in my SSS for some extra piece of mind.

......and you cannot rely on OnStar because the their *first thing* rips the antenna off the roof to disable it.

Mr. P.

There is a much simpler way they disable OnStar, I will not say it here, PM me for details.......

My point is this, no matter what anti-theft devices you have, if they want your vehicle bad enough, they will get it someway, somehow, end of story.......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

How about just leave a note in the truck IF stolen burn it so I can collect the insurance money and your finger prints will be gone so you dont have to worry about me finding you and killing you. LOL

nice. im gonna start doing that mike. lol

A forum member and good friend called me this morning and shared with me that his Silverado SS was stolen last night right out from under his nose, while he was eating dinner at a restaraunt; he came out after dinner and discovered the truck missing.

Mr. P.

Who is said member Steve?

IMO there is no way to completely 100% make it so someone cannot steal your ride.

Ive talked about this security system before, but havent found it yet.

It is a electronic device that somehow runs electric current through the car and on body panels (dont know how, but I have the article). If the thief even touches the car he is shocked unconsciouss.

I know this thread is worthless without the information about the security system, but I have been searching for it for a while and trying to find where it can be purchased. I know the system that shocks would be car thefters was created in New York City by rap producer Rockwilder (he was tired of poor thugs stealing/messing with his rides). It is on his 2001 denali suv.

Not saying this is steal proof, but seems like a good system.

How about just leave a note in the truck IF stolen burn it so I can collect the insurance money and your finger prints will be gone so you dont have to worry about me finding you and killing you. LOL

LOL you're a sick puppy :jester:

Who is said member Steve? ...

I can't share that, he's a very private guy so gotta respect that - he doesn't post here much but he's always at the local GTG's and helping ITRW and a damned talented/experienced wrench, I'm sure he'll post up here when he's ready. He's a decent guy and a very good friend. He did tell me on the phone he was sure that it was a wheel lift, because while he was pulling into the restaraunt parking lot he had to steer out of the way for a tow truck and he thought to himself "haha somebody must be illegally parked"; afterwards the restaraunt manager was nice enough to drive him home, and told him the restaraunt never called for a tow truck... so he's pretty down because he's convinced that he passed right by the culprit.

Mr. P.

danm that sucks...so little you can do, if they want it...they will get it. My buddy had his TBSS draged out of his spot, the ripped the shifter into N and tried to pull it thru a gate that it would not fit thru causing some body damage...I agree with Steve, as the economy goes down the stuff people will do will go up.

going to check on truck now...new job and I was just told they like to get the teacher's cars.

Ive talked about this security system before, but havent found it yet.

It is a electronic device that somehow runs electric current through the car and on body panels (dont know how, but I have the article). If the thief even touches the car he is shocked unconsciouss.

I know this thread is worthless without the information about the security system, but I have been searching for it for a while and trying to find where it can be purchased. I know the system that shocks would be car thefters was created in New York City by rap producer Rockwilder (he was tired of poor thugs stealing/messing with his rides). It is on his 2001 denali suv.

Not saying this is steal proof, but seems like a good system.

its a great idea... till you get sued for hurting a person. i agree this would be bad ass! but there are sue happy people out there, i can see it now, a 8 yr old brushes your truck and now he is permanently brain damaged. or better yet, the theif tries, knocks out and he sues you...

heck yeah lets do it up!

Not much to add to this thread myself but if someone wants something thier going to get it. It sucks that you can't crank the wheels and lock them on our trucks. I cannot believe that someone would do this. There wasn't a camara anywhere on other builds??? Also my buddy has told me over and over alarm systems really don't stay all that new new meaning all this technolily they can crack the code. just watch gone in 60 seconds.. I hope your buddy the best of luck. keep us posted mr p

yeah i cant see how running a current through your vehicle would be a good thing. say your getting a parking ticket and a cop gets electrocuted. im sure that will go over like a turd in the punch bowl! thats very sad to hear that. where i live i leave my keys in the truck while its running when i go into gas stations and dunkin. but i guess i should be more careful. but like everyone is saying, if they really want it they will get it!

i have a decent alarm on my truck and im scared to drive it anywhere( the fact that it doesent run helps too) but ive learned that you cant have anything nice. so dont put too much money into something you have to park out of site or out of reach and or make sure it is all covered under insurance. other than that what else is one to do?