How Do I Prevent Theft Via Tow Truck?

I have a decent alarm on my truck, and when I was in austin for texas heatwave somebody stole everything out of it. Noone even said anything to the front desk and I was the first person to find it in the morning, over $6,000 worth of damage and stereo equipment stolen. All is I can say is alarms are worthless, and Insurance FTW.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a decent alarm on my truck, and when I was in austin for texas heatwave somebody stole everything out of it. Noone even said anything to the front desk and I was the first person to find it in the morning, over $6,000 worth of damage and stereo equipment stolen. All is I can say is alarms are worthless, and Insurance FTW.

Heatwave is BAD for that, I've had several others got their vehicles stolen from motel/hotel parking lots during that week.

Mr. P.

Heatwave is BAD for that, I've had several others got their vehicles stolen from motel/hotel parking lots during that week.

Mr. P.

Yeah I should have known, the first year I was down there a guy had his truck stolen 2 spaces away from mine.

How about the paging/monitoring systems? How reliable are they, I know they are only good for a certain amount of range. But other than having someone babysitting the truck would this work the best? Again that's even if the alarm is triggered. Just wondering about the paging systems, just a thought.

I guess the most expensive route I would think but would give m a piece of mind is air bags. I would dump the truck everytime I get out. Of course the maintenance over would add up, but no one could steal the cats or flad bed it out.

i had an performance chip from jet and it had different settings one of them was security and when this was on it killed all power to the truck so nothing electrical could come on and it even had a key to lock it...... now for the truck all you can do is make it harder on them you can turn you steering wheel all the way to a side and lock it and put on ur parking brake but that wont do 2 much bc if you did that they could cut your brake cables.... and for rims if you have lock nuts on there they have universal keys for them and with a electric impact gun will make short work of them and if you had like 4 guys u could lift the chevy and not even use a jack....... some windows i think dont even have an alarm like the little ones i know those are big enouh to get into and i weigh 200 pounds...... as for the tow truck that is some hard core shit and the only to defend that is park in between people or park in an wierd position!!!1

• 1 month later...

look into a company called compustar...they r amazing, i have had then on my vehicles...2 way remote so u know if nething bad is happeneing...they have range of a mile and .1/2 and it rele does work that far..i tested it..as for finding where...lo jack...its what alotta bikes r doing also..for your application i would go with the compustar 2 way 900

I have had my 03 blue SSS stolen two times and one other attempt. I got it back both times because friends seen it and called the cops. First time a friend saw them driving it down a busy street, then called the cops. The thiefs had insurance license and registered it, and numbers matching all the to the color code! The cops called me and said it was not my truck! I started to tell them of the custom work, and mods on truck. Then they called the auto detectives. The detectives id the truck and I got it back. The thievs had a 04 blue silverado salvaged title. The second time a different friend seen it parked at an apartment, and called the cops.

Sorry I didnt finish last post. But both times the detectives had my truck for weeks!!! The third attempt was at work and they broke into 4 trucks and tried to steal mine they jacked up my steering colum and ignition so bad that I had to get the truck towed! Now I have a colum lock on it, and plan on getting a high end two way alarm around $600 and later they can add a cool GPS tracking to that same alarm for $500. The new tracking is way better than lojack it can notify by cell phone and a bunch of other cool options. The best way is to stack anti thief items. My colum lock is very cool. I got it at a key and lock store. I think the web site is called lockit.com I could not find it on this site. My friend sprayed it with matching pant and it looks nice in truck. I think the site for new tracking is called stealthtracking.com.

Back in my younger years i used to work at a machine shop down down. The older guy i worked with had a bagged chevy. He welded a slide bar under the bed. When he was in a bad par of town he just dropped the bar to the pavement and locked it there. His wire wheels were through bolted on the hub so you could only remove them with the truck lifted. He kept it slammed when parked. He never had problems. They ended up ripping off the stereao out mf my Mitsu Mighty Max though.

if they have a tow truck like i have even slammed if they want they're gonna take it. the equipment on the market is amazing and gets better every day. the turned steering wheel trick is a good idea except most gm trucks after 02 don't have locking steering so it can be straightened out. and if you back in your truck can be put in neutral very easy, now if you set the ebrakes that makes it harder if its backed in. also if there is a curb get your wheels all the way up to it because dollies are not easy to install when you can't get behind the tire. just a little info from one of your friendly wrecker drivers on the site

I wish we could do like that old tv series Viper and change the appearnce of the truck. With the push of a button it appears to be a 1989 ford LTD with 3 missing hub caps and rust form fender to fender. Sad thing is most thievs who will steal a vehicle like a SSS are good at what they do and have done their homework on haow to disable every means of finding it. I have a clifford 3.5 and its a great alarm. but like Chris said once it sounds its too late. So unless you just leave your wife in the truck with a 12 guage then your at risk. on a side note i have seen a vehicle with a cattle fence power amp conected to his body and it was a bad mo fo. When it rained every drop arced. I would think that some how adding that to your vehicle would eventually screw up the pcm.