How Do I Prevent Theft Via Tow Truck?

A forum member and good friend called me this morning and shared with me that his Silverado SS was stolen last night right out from under his nose, while he was eating dinner at a restaraunt; he came out after dinner and discovered the truck missing. The truck did have an alarm, and it was armed; the truck was taken without the alarm going off. The most likely MO was that the thief used a wheel-lift (tow-truck) and drug the SSS away. He very much loved his SSS, he was the original owner and the truck was his daily driver; he's very numb about the whole situation.

SO - to my question - what can you do to prevent your truck from being towed away like that? What can you do to prevent the door from being wedged open? What kind of alarm features will address these threats? I've looked into the GPS-equipped alarms, do they work, are they proven now? I do know about the anti-slim jim kits for the doors, and locks for the tailgate. What can I do to protect the wheels and mirrors? Would any professional security guys be willing to share some thoughts here?

The reason that I ask is because most of us live or drive in very high crime areas, and with the state of the economy it is my opinion that truck thefts are going to really rise.

Mr. P.

And I don't care to hear the 'protected by smith & wesson' comments, I respect what you have to say but in Texas, unless you are already inside the vehicle (then it's ok to use deadly force), pointing a weapon at someone because they're taking your truck is a felony; using said weapon from outside the vehicle is ... more prison time than I'm prepared for.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to say it, but once the alarm has been sounded, the damage is done. there is no protection. short of hiring a personal truck attendant. which isnt really that expensive.

yes satellite tracking works, till it is taken off and disabled.

A forum member and good friend called me this morning and shared with me that his Silverado SS was stolen last night right out from under his nose, while he was eating dinner at a restaraunt; he came out after dinner and discovered the truck missing. The truck did have an alarm, and it was armed; the truck was taken without the alarm going off. The most likely MO was that the thief used a wheel-lift (tow-truck) and drug the SSS away. He very much loved his SSS, he was the original owner and the truck was his daily driver; he's very numb about the whole situation.

SO - to my question - what can you do to prevent your truck from being towed away like that? What can you do to prevent the door from being wedged open? What kind of alarm features will address these threats? I've looked into the GPS-equipped alarms, do they work, are they proven now? I do know about the anti-slim jim kits for the doors, and locks for the tailgate. What can I do to protect the wheels and mirrors? Would any professional security guys be willing to share some thoughts here?

Mr. P.

viper and python both are the same thing and they are top of the line. u cant open a door or shake the truck or move it without the alarm going off. there is also a kill stary on it that the alarm has to be disarmed for it to be able to turn on, unless u have remote start which also has to have the key to remove the truck from park. there is a level sensor that is connected and what ever level the truck is at when the alarm is armed, if it changes at all it will go off and prevent theft/ breakins as well.

viper and python both are the same thing and they are top of the line. u cant open a door or shake the truck or move it without the alarm going off. there is also a kill stary on it that the alarm has to be disarmed for it to be able to turn on, unless u have remote start which also has to have the key to remove the truck from park. there is a level sensor that is connected and what ever level the truck is at when the alarm is armed, if it changes at all it will go off and prevent theft/ breakins as well.

any alarms is only as good as its installer. you can add all of the sensors you want, but if its installed horribly, or not set well, it then becomes a nusience. also i say it again, once the alarm is sounding, its too late. someone has already voilated the truck. in this case, i bet the alarm was going off. no one heard it or cared because there are alot of terribly installed alarms out there that are constantly crying wolf.

as for the satellite lock, i have my GPS as well as my Sirius antenna behind my A pillar panel and they work fine. but once that truck is in a garage. its all over. it is very hard to get sat signal indoors.

any alarms is only as good as its installer. you can add all of the sensors you want, but if its installed horribly, or not set well, it then becomes a nusience. also i say it again, once the alarm is sounding, its too late. someone has already voilated the truck. in this case, i bet the alarm was going off. no one heard it or cared because there are alot of terribly installed alarms out there that are constantly crying wolf.

as for the satellite lock, i have my GPS as well as my Sirius antenna behind my A pillar panel and they work fine. but once that truck is in a garage. its all over. it is very hard to get sat signal indoors.

thats true too but if its installed by someone who knows what theyre doing with the proper relays and sodders rathar than buttcap and twist caps, it will work perfect. 2 weeks ago someone tried to steal my rims but my alarm went off. i went out there and the center cap was off and they tried to lift the truck and set off my shock sensor. they DO work if u have someone good isntall it

Man that sucks but couldn't you either back in to a parking spot so then they would have to take the drive shaft off if they cant get to the rear wheels to pick it up, and that would take a little while to do. Also i think you could pull in forwards and turn your wheels all the way one way or the other so they can't tow it cause it wouldn't pull straight not to sure though thats all i could think of

thats true too but if its installed by someone who knows what theyre doing with the proper relays and sodders rathar than buttcap and twist caps, it will work perfect. 2 weeks ago someone tried to steal my rims but my alarm went off. i went out there and the center cap was off and they tried to lift the truck and set off my shock sensor. they DO work if u have someone good isntall it

once again, the damage was done. the alarm was going off cause someone set it off by violating your truck. whether it be simply popping off a center cap, or busting a window, the damage was done.

as for soldering, butt connecting or crimp capping, i agree soldering is superior, but in an install, they all have their places. trust me, been a Mecp certified installer since 94 and Master certified since 2002... not tootin my horn here, but the question asked was is there a way to protect this truck from what happened? my answer is NO. unless you pay someone to babysit it while you are away. yes the alarm should have went off, but in this case it either didnt, or no one heard it or cared. if it didnt go off, it wasnt adjusted properly. if it did go off, it needed louder sirens, air horns, train horns, or police sirens to garner attn. i have over 18 hours into my security install alone. trust me, you will hear it when it goes off. and you will be hard pressed to get away with it unless you have a tow truck and people are deaf and ignorant.

:cheers:

Hey Mr. P what about you lowered guys...I thought you had to have a flat bed and some knowhow to get it up on the truck? If thats the case its just another reason to lower it.

My truck is lowered 3/4, and it's still tall enough to clear a parking curb, in fact still tall enough to safely drive off a sidewalk. So it still has enough clearance to be picked-up by a wheel-lift aparatus on a tow truck. It IS low enough you cannot slide underneath the truck, so no chance of loosing the catalytic converters (if I still had them :P) or otherwise accessing underneath the truck; I still can crawl under the rear bumper and bed of my truck.

I have heard a couple repo men tell me that there are a couple things you can do to frustrate an attempt with a wheel lift, but funny how they never go into details...

Mr. P.

Lojack? :dunno:

Does anyone have it?

LoJack DOES work provided (a) the local police department has a car equipped with a LoJack scanner, and (b) the thief does not put the vehicle inside a mostly metal structure (metal shed, trailer, or container). Personally IMO the GPS-enabled locating units are much better, because when activated they actually phone a call center and report live the location of the unit, that is until its power, antenna, or reception is interrupted.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

well the alarm should have gone off. The truck should have came with on star and if he keep that up and if he still has it the cops could find right where it is at even if he didn't keep it up on star could still find right where it is sittingwell the alarm should have gone off. The truck should have came with on star and if he keep that up and if he still has it the cops could find right where it is at even if he didn't keep it up on star could still find right where it is sitting

well the alarm should have gone off. The truck should have came with on star and if he keep that up and if he still has it the cops could find right where it is at even if he didn't keep it up on star could still find right where it is sittingwell the alarm should have gone off. The truck should have came with on star and if he keep that up and if he still has it the cops could find right where it is at even if he didn't keep it up on star could still find right where it is sitting

True, and true - but I don't think his truck had a motion or tip sensor (I don't know), and you cannot rely on OnStar because the their *first thing* rips the antenna off the roof to disable it.

Mr. P.

A forum member and good friend called me this morning and shared with me that his Silverado SS was stolen last night right out from under his nose, while he was eating dinner at a restaraunt; he came out after dinner and discovered the truck missing. The truck did have an alarm, and it was armed; the truck was taken without the alarm going off. The most likely MO was that the thief used a wheel-lift (tow-truck) and drug the SSS away. He very much loved his SSS, he was the original owner and the truck was his daily driver; he's very numb about the whole situation.SO - to my question - what can you do to prevent your truck from being towed away like that? What can you do to prevent the door from being wedged open? What kind of alarm features will address these threats? I've looked into the GPS-equipped alarms, do they work, are they proven now? I do know about the anti-slim jim kits for the doors, and locks for the tailgate. What can I do to protect the wheels and mirrors? Would any professional security guys be willing to share some thoughts here?The reason that I ask is because most of us live or drive in very high crime areas, and with the state of the economy it is my opinion that truck thefts are going to really rise.Mr. P.And I don't care to hear the 'protected by smith & wesson' comments, I respect what you have to say but in Texas, unless you are already inside the vehicle (then it's ok to use deadly force), pointing a weapon at someone because they're taking your truck is a felony; using said weapon from outside the vehicle is ... more prison time than I'm prepared for.
Incorrect on the gun law...might want to call our local law enforcement friend and ask :)
True, and true - but I don't think his truck had a motion or tip sensor (I don't know), and you cannot rely on OnStar because the their *first thing* rips the antenna off the roof to disable it.Mr. P.
also all they have to do is unplug the rear view harness thats what disables it