Front Axle Rebuild

Obviously the front axle on these trucks has its fair share of bearing problems, and mine is on its way out. Checked the fluid and it looked like liquid anti-seize, was nasty. Luckily there is no gear whine or anything, so im hoping the gearset is OK and just replace all the bearings. My question is that as often as this comes up on here, you never see any real info on it or pics

1.What bearings go out? carrier? pinion? axle? all of them?

2. What are you guys paying for the reman ones?

3. For anyone that has completely disassembled theirs, are any special tools required? one i think i may need is for the carrier bearing adjustment, but i imagine like most special tools their is a way around it

Hopefully someone can shoot me some info, but regardless in the near future i will be splitting mine open and replacing all the bearings, checking everything else. Will get some pics and info while doing it

can you say pitted races as I just took mine apart and good thing I did as all the races were badly pitted

pinion were ok but i wil replace anyways

carrier were FUBAR

good thing I bought a bunch of bearings and seals from a GM dealer that went outa business for under $20

and 4 bearings and 2 axle seals were correct

I just went through this today! I am very soar and tired. These diffs are a joke. I bought a reman for 875. When it arrived I was supprised because it was only the center section no axle flanges or stub shaft. I orded stub shaft bearing and seal from the dealer. I also picked up axle retainer rings. It took forever to get the old diff out becaust my center link was fused onto my pitman arm After having my puller fly of 20 times it finally let loose. Got my diff all tore down, the axle flanges pop out with one good wack with a BFH. I cleaned everything up and tried to install the axle flange when I realized the diff already had snap rings in it. Pulling the axle flange back out with the snap ring on it tore up the axle flange bearing and seal. So I ran all over to find one. I found a seal but had to scavenge the old bearing out of my old diff, so I took it apart. It is easy to get apart and now I wish I would of rebuilt it myself. No special tools were needed.Once you split the case the carrier falls out. The pinion comes out with a nut. The pinion is shimed and the carrier is adjusted with adjusters in the housing. Mine failed because on of the adjuster locks failed.

I've done a lot of rebuilds on rear axles and front solid axles, this sounds the same. Just never had one that splits apart like these. From the sounds of mine i would say its the carrier bearings that took a dump, but im replacing the rest as well. Thanks for info, i will get some pics of mine when i get it apart

I would love to see your pics from your rebuild, I am planning on doing mine either this weekend or the next. I bought a complete bearing and seal kit from justdifferentials.com for like $130. Much cheaper than buying a new or rebuilt one, and the shop I took it to was going to charge me $900. Hopefully it isn't too big of a deal to do since I have never done one, but my dad has done many rear ends and had faith that we could do it.

I would love to see your pics from your rebuild, I am planning on doing mine either this weekend or the next. I bought a complete bearing and seal kit from justdifferentials.com for like $130. Much cheaper than buying a new or rebuilt one, and the shop I took it to was going to charge me $900. Hopefully it isn't too big of a deal to do since I have never done one, but my dad has done many rear ends and had faith that we could do it.

Which kit did you get? I went to their website but I'm not sure where to find it...

I'm looking to do the same thing and $130 sounds way better than I've priced out so far.

Which kit did you get? I went to their website but I'm not sure where to find it...

I'm looking to do the same thing and $130 sounds way better than I've priced out so far.

Here is a link to it hopefully it works, http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php...169d75d968fa240.

It's called their master overhaul kit for the GM 8.25" IFS. The product code is MK GM8.25-B.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link to it hopefully it works, http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php...169d75d968fa240.

It's called their master overhaul kit for the GM 8.25" IFS. The product code is MK GM8.25-B.

Hope that helps.

Hehe - thanks. I just posted a new topic. Trying to get the kit for the weekend. Thanks :cheers:

don't forget to replace the crush sleeve on the pinion as well, and always install new lock tabs for the carrier adjusters. for you guys doing it yourself here are backlash/preload specs from GM.

Backlash: .005-.007

Pinoin preload: 30 lb in.

Total pinion and carrier preload: 55lb in

don't forget to replace the crush sleeve on the pinion as well, and always install new lock tabs for the carrier adjusters. for you guys doing it yourself here are backlash/preload specs from GM.

Backlash: .005-.007

Pinoin preload: 30 lb in.

Total pinion and carrier preload: 55lb in

Thanks - Just got my kit, comes with the crush sleeve and all new hardware - I was worried they were going to send me junk bearings but they're temkin units

- doing this soon.

Sorry I left you all hanging. Doing a bathroom remodel and all my free time is GONE! Anyway. I looked for some actual pictures i had of the inside of the diff, and unfortunately I do not have any. If you interested in stub shaft shots and the flanges being removed I have a bunch of those.

Also thanks for posting the link. That is the kit I was talking about.