No Oil Pressure

brobradh77

How long did you run it while it was ticking ????

:withstupid: Shut it off as soon as you hear something like that.

Although you didn't see any issues in the oil pan, it doesn't take long before cam berings scuff (among other things) from lack of oil pressure. I hope it works out for ya.

Reynaldo is likely right. The check valve in the oil pump can stick causing this problem. There is another common issue with the Gen III/IV engines with the oil pump pick-up tube not sealing with the oil pump. This usually causes a low oil pressure issue and occasionally no oil pressure. There are two different seals, one for a car pick-up and one for a truck pick-up. If you use a car seal on a truck you will have oil pressure issue's from the pump sucking air. You also can never ever re-use that seal. Do that on a car or truck and you'll be pulling it back apart for oil pressure issue's.

Hopefully just a new pump and pick-up tube seal will fix this for you.

Reynaldo is likely right. The check valve in the oil pump can stick causing this problem. There is another common issue with the Gen III/IV engines with the oil pump pick-up tube not sealing with the oil pump. This usually causes a low oil pressure issue and occasionally no oil pressure. There are two different seals, one for a car pick-up and one for a truck pick-up. If you use a car seal on a truck you will have oil pressure issue's from the pump sucking air. You also can never ever re-use that seal. Do that on a car or truck and you'll be pulling it back apart for oil pressure issue's.

Hopefully just a new pump and pick-up tube seal will fix this for you.

I guess i should actually say it was Low oil pressure not actually Zero although i couldnt see it register on the gauge.

can I pick up a seal for the pick up tube at any auto parts store?

Thanks everyone for info on this.

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

I guess i should actually say it was Low oil pressure not actually Zero although i couldnt see it register on the gauge.

can I pick up a seal for the pick up tube at any auto parts store?

Thanks everyone for info on this.

Not really sure. I've only found them at the dealer. Many dealers will even give you the wrong one unless you make them look it up by the vin or just in general actually look them up. Many have handed out the wrong one assuming they are all the same.

dam brad just read this , im somewhat surprised that was the problem. most of the time's when i worked for cheby and a gen 3 lost pressure it was a spun bearing. you got lucky it didnt hurt anything.

dam brad just read this , im somewhat surprised that was the problem. most of the time's when i worked for cheby and a gen 3 lost pressure it was a spun bearing. you got lucky it didnt hurt anything.

Yeah I did....so far so good...no problems although it will be a week or so before I have complete confidence..lol I'm to the point i just expect something to go wrong..lol