Lost Horsepower!

Run the truck where it matters, the track... TC's can rob a ton of power, especially unlocked.

My buddy runs just about the same times as me at the track, and the same exact mods... However, his converter does not lock at WOT, mine will. Third gear pulls, my converter locks at about 105, pull goes until about 120. I put down 380/360. He put down 298/320.

Numbers don't matter... And they can be skewed by a TC that doesn't lock.

I was hopping for that 380 rwhp; I now feel a lot better about already having it. I guess the track will really show me what it can do.

AGREED :cheers:

Run the truck where it matters, the track... TC's can rob a ton of power, especially unlocked.

My buddy runs just about the same times as me at the track, and the same exact mods... However, his converter does not lock at WOT, mine will. Third gear pulls, my converter locks at about 105, pull goes until about 120. I put down 380/360. He put down 298/320.

Numbers don't matter... And they can be skewed by a TC that doesn't lock.

Does the truck at least feel faster? You butt is usually a decent dynometer....

Seat of the pants test was definitley feeling more power. I tought that my seat of the pants test was desensitized after seeing the numbers :uhoh: .

if you dyno in 3rd you'll see more power for sure..

like everyone else says.. the street/strip is where it matters

dyno numbers are really just bragging rights after its all said and done :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
One other thing about your truck Mike, a very KEY thing in power output, is that you have a quirky 2006. No matter what the PE (power enrichment) settings are, half the time that you go wide open throttle, it will sit in closed loop (making considerably less power) for a second or a few seconds before richening up and increasing the ignition timing accordingly. There are times in some of your logs where it's in closed loop for the entire duration of your WOT blast. That closed loop operation and subsequent lower timing could easily cost you 30-40hp on top of your torque converter loss.

Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about it, as it only happens from time to time on random 2006 vehicles. Some will never have an issue, others have it constantly...

I ran into that same problem with my 06' and after I found the fix on mine I started checking other 06's and finding the same problem at random. Here is my thread on this. Link Bill linked me to this which has so far fixed all of them that I've worked on. My truck at the track would randomly make a full pass in normal closed loop without power enrichment or bring power enrichment in around second gear. Rarely could I get a full pass in power enrichement. Once I did the fix it has never been a problem again.

I agree that the numbers are oddly low even for a 3000 stall unlocked. Did you run the truck on the dyno in 2nd gear or 3rd? Did you run a wideband on it while it was on the dyno?

I ran into that same problem with my 06' and after I found the fix on mine I started checking other 06's and finding the same problem at random. Here is my thread on this. Link Bill linked me to this which has so far fixed all of them that I've worked on. My truck at the track would randomly make a full pass in normal closed loop without power enrichment or bring power enrichment in around second gear. Rarely could I get a full pass in power enrichement. Once I did the fix it has never been a problem again.

I agree that the numbers are oddly low even for a 3000 stall unlocked. Did you run the truck on the dyno in 2nd gear or 3rd? Did you run a wideband on it while it was on the dyno?

I've always suspected a torque value parameter to be partly to blame, as that is not in EFILive. Similarly, we have a timer parameter that you don't have access to. Usually zeroing one parameter or the other will solve the needs, but not always in those 06s...

IMO its a combination of two things: higher ambient temps (15 deg is plenty), and a much looser higher stall converter. like said above, its going to be slipping more and transfering less to the wheels. this doesnt mean your making less HP... make sure that its locked during the run, you can use hp tuners to command it locked or a GM tech 2 scan tool as well.

also, if it was a dynojet which does not induce load... its more than likely that the converter was not fully engauged.

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

i dunno about your setup, i think its really similar to mine but... if my truck went out of PE anywhere after 70-80% TP it would blow a rod thru the firewall LOL

LOL..DOH!...all my mods are in my sig...truck runs good..but i'm always trying to squeek a little more oout if it.

LOL..DOH!...all my mods are in my sig...truck runs good..but i'm always trying to squeek a little more oout if it.

oh do i hear that... got a new cam in that 370, spray is all hooked up.... full new exhaust..... :uhoh::rolleyes: 11's here i come!!! i dont care if it takes a TVS its happening!!!! :P