SS top end shut-off

Krambo

So anyway,... Does the SS shut off at 97?

I don't think anyone has tried it yet. I know that I am waiting till after 500 miles or so before I find that one out on my own! I will surely share the info once I figure it out! :)

Justin :chevy:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the info. Are you stating this from experience , hearsay, or factual evidence? Either way, at least it is better than 97mph. Nothing a programmer can't fix. Thanks again!

Thank you for the info. Are you stating this from experience , hearsay, or factual evidence? Either way, at least it is better than 97mph. Nothing a programmer can't fix. Thanks again!

Experience. Worked with the Engineers that set the limits. I work at Oshawa Truck Assembly Centre.

I brought mine home last night. After I dropped off my wife and two dogs I went for a spin alone. I got it up to 108 but was running out of room as I was almost back home. It had 44 miles on it. I break them in like I run them. No problems in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't beleve they have this truck limited to 108!!! I mean it is an SS and 108 is a pretty weak # for a sport truck. If it was limited at all maybe like 120 would be a good number, but I guess they go by gearing and what not.......I do like how they have the ETC now instead of it actaully cutting the engine off like it had in my 99 4.8 and my 01 5.3. Will a aftermarket chip reprogram the engine cutoff & ETC??

Dan Smith

03 Black SS

I have a Hypertech computer programmer in my wife's 2002 Chevrolet 1500 SWB 4X4 and you can program it to shut off at 128. You can't tell when it goes that fast as the speedo only goes to 100. It also gives you more horsepower (but not much for the 2002's). I would recommend these but I don't think that they are available for the SS's yet. If you have an older Hypertech you can have them reporgrammed at the factory for $200.00. I originally had one for my 2000 Chevy. It created alot more power for the 2000's but I swapped that for an Avalanche last year. I think that they are still $349.00. If you have one already you can keep the program in your current vehicle and have it reprogrammed for another vehicle. But you would not be able to take the program out of your old vehicle once you have sent it back to the factory. It only took about 4 days to send it to the factory and to get it back.

at 130 i'd estimate around 4000rpm or just a tick over. 4.10 isn't alot of gear when the tires are that tall.

i know its at over 3000 rpm at around 70, so at almost double the speed i think it would a little over 5000 rpm. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived