SS top end shut-off

Krambo

I have a Hypertech computer programmer in my wife's 2002 Chevrolet 1500 SWB 4X4 and you can program it to shut off at 128. You can't tell when it goes that fast as the speedo only goes to 100. It also gives you more horsepower (but not much for the 2002's). I would recommend these but I don't think that they are available for the SS's yet. If you have an older Hypertech you can have them reporgrammed at the factory for $200.00. I originally had one for my 2000 Chevy. It created alot more power for the 2000's but I swapped that for an Avalanche last year. I think that they are still $349.00. If you have one already you can keep the program in your current vehicle and have it reprogrammed for another vehicle. But you would not be able to take the program out of your old vehicle once you have sent it back to the factory. It only took about 4 days to send it to the factory and to get it back.

A rep from Hypertech told me thay are working on a power programmer for the SS. He said they tried the 6.0 programmer on the SS, but it didn't work. He believes the new programmer for the SS will be on the market in 60 to 90 days. :D:chevy::thumbs:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright. Maybe I can get a loan from my wife to have mine reprogrammed. I'll keep the program in my wife's 2002. Dave are you going to contact Hypertech again to see if they get it done? Let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments. I finally gave my SS the top end test and can verify all of your posts of 108mph. What a shame, it does feel like it has alot more and is pretty stable for a big truck. :thumbs:

I can attest to the fact that with the computer modifications that were done for the Magnacharger, it can hit 120mph :D And it felt like it could keep going. When the limiter kicks in, as it started feeling like it was missing. I am sure the stock engine can do the same, with the limiter raised. It would be interesting to find out what the stock truck is capable of without the limiter. The Lightnings go 140, and my truck felt like it could go there with no problem. Not that being able to go that fast is very useful. Hit speeds like that for very long, and you will either wind up in jail or dead even faster! :sick: . It is almost scary how stable this truck feels at speed. I find myself doing 80 in a 65 zone without thinking anything about it. :nono: Must control lead foot :crazy: .

Damn, girl..........what hand were you steering with?

#1 Im not a girl.

#2 To answer your question, see #1. :cool:

Honestly, although that is a Lightning it wasnt taken by me. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to mess around with a camera at those speeds... :crazy:

Oops, sorry, big guy. I was thinking of our girl Gloria (extreme4X4) who drives a Lightening, too. That's what I get for typing too fast and thinking at the same time, huh? Make note to self, QUIT THINKING. :jester:

As to driving that fast. Me either. I'd like to live to see 80 (years old) thank you very much. Gave up those kinds of crazy stunts just after college. I say that when just the other day I had my scooter up to 95 and did not even know it. I was riding with the wind so there was very little wind buffeting and I didn't even realize how fast I was going until I just happened to look down at the speedo. 95 on two wheels is suicide. :wtf:

To be perfectly honest, the L doesnt even feel like your going that fast. On the way to and from Vegas last weekend I was almost continuously between 95 - 125, and it was no problem at all. Very stable truck at high speed.

PS. Its "Lightning" not "Lightening" :nono:

:cheers:

Hey all SS enthusiusts... im new here. but about the topic, my dads got a 2002 avalanche Z71 and we got up to 100mp/h and it was like the motor shut off, then he backed off the throttle and it started up again. i donno if that is suppose to do that, and other chevy truck do that? and yes i live in Canada eh.. and im a 15 yrs old chevy nut :chevy:

Here's the Lightning Gal. :D

The fastest we have been in ours, was when we weren't even driving. Rick took a friend of ours, who was the NHP Lt. for the Tonopah area. Dennis was real impressed with how quickly the truck went to 120........ and that it would easily outrun his cruiser.

MotorTrend recently had a top speed issue. I believe the Lightning went 147mph (they were amazed that a 4700lb brick could do that). Yes, it was aerodynamically limited. :)

Archived