StS turbo gettting closer

I know STS advertises a 4-6 hour install time. Now that you guys have done it, how long do you think the process would take one guy in his garage? It looks like a fairly straight forward install provided you have a floor jack and some good jack stands (or a nice yellow lift :chevy: )

Anything you wish you'd known before purchasing and/or installing the kit?

Thanks in advance,

E :cheers:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember that ssblackss was the first SS to try this. Their kit was designed for the 5.3l guys. The following comments are my humble opinion only. I am not an expert. Just an informed customer. :D

that said, there were several mods needed. 3" exhaust inlet pipe from a dual inlet 2.5" ypipe. (the original was a single 2.5" pipe with no Ypipe) Then a 3.5" exhaust outlet to attach to the stock tail pipe section. (original was 3") Also, the compressor side of the turbo needed a larger housing to match the 2.5" piping ( it was 1.75" that went to 2.5")

The biggest thing for me to remember is/was, that a turbo ships with turbine blades that are a touch larger than the turbine housing so that they can cut a groove to seat as the turbo gets hot the first few times. Translated, it feels a touch slow to spool and boost is low for the first few times while the turbo cuts it's groove.

Jonathan said that it took the turbo a few days and then it got much faster and more responsive.

I sure hope we hear from ssblackss this evening, Joe, or Allen... I would love to hear how the shift kit and tuning went! I wonder how the turbo is loosening up to run.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding I got back late last night from SA and believe me it was all worth the 5hrs down and 5hrs back. I had Joe do the Jag Performance special shift kit with the corvette servo metal acc. piston and a tranny service and the tranny hits hard and feels awsome Would highly recomment it to any one. Its preventative as well as performance enhancing...

Allen tuned the SS as best he could as the weather was just a bear and not co-operating at all. Still all that being said we have all the codes taken care of and the hesitation that was to do with the MAF is all gone and she runs really strong. I have the t-60 on right now and it goes like a raped ape but this week I will be putting on the T-67 GT turbo for a little more... I believe its the same one that Brent has been talking about. The Radix might/will beat the turbo out of the hole but I feel the turbo will spool up very quickly and and be at max boost shortly after the 60ft point and the rest is up to the trucks.

Really though the STS is an awsome kit no real issues with the install at all and 4-6 hrs is a very realistic time frame to install one if you are not messing with gauges methanol and dual stage boost etc and it is a very suitable to a DIY'er. It will be a lot easier if you have a ramp.

I would love to run this one against a Radix SS just to see what the differences are. Maybe at Wichita? Those who have a stall on their Radix will have a further advantage but I am unwilling to put one on, not really liking the comments from those who have them, some like them I just feel that 99%of my driving is street and 1% track so 'nough said.

Jonathan :cheers:

:cool::D:):):D:cool:

Congratulations. I am in drool mode now, till that kit gets here and I can get it installed.

BTW, I actually upgraded to the GT40; the GT67 is a GT37 compressor (very efficient one!) with a T04 turbine and we were going to use that one, except that with the stall, Rick thought it might be better with full on GT40, so since you are going to try out the GT67, I am going for the GT40. Both will make a huge difference in incoming air temps (drop them.) We shall see. Fingers crossed over here.

Edited: Right now, I need to get that stall working for me, not against me. Too hard to get to Allen on a regular basis since I travel with work and I am sure he is sick of me ;) wanting to change things.

I would like to see how it compares to a Radix. Although, stock radix boost numbers are about 6.5lbs of boost, or so. So a comparison of a turbo putting out 10-12lbs would not be much of a comparison. It would be obvious which would do better. But, a Radix truck with a decent stall against a STS turbo'd truck without a stall would be a very close race, even if there is 6lbs of boost difference.

tamalon55

we have no track times yet stay tuned there will be some shortly. I will see if I can get a friend to help me out with some video and someone can help me get it of my camera and onto the web...

Jonathan

Ben

I feel we are maybe putting out 8-9lbs so we will see what she will do against a stock radix no stall stock to stock now thats a fair race All i have is a shift kit tune and a turbo so lets get it on and see how these bad boys toys run. Honestly If there was a true 6lbs of boost difference the Radix wouldnt have a chance and if it was the othere way around then the turbo would fail miserably also 6lbs is a huge difference in power no comparison.

Jonathan

An Honest question? Umm what fun is that?

I thought that is what you wanted, Brent. You already felt one that doesn't feel stock. There are other guys running the stall you have right now - not that brand though. Give it a few weeks and you will not even be able to tell you have it in there - the new one. It doesn't feel stock when launching, that I assure you.

An Honest question?  Umm what fun is that?

I thought that is what you wanted, Brent. You already felt one that doesn't feel stock. There are other guys running the stall you have right now - not that brand though. Give it a few weeks and you will not even be able to tell you have it in there - the new one. It doesn't feel stock when launching, that I assure you.

ahem, Let me try to reset the expectations. I was looking for quicker off the line... and a way to shorten the spoolup time of the turbo coming in 2 weeks. I got that, what I did not want was to loose MPH in the 1/4 and I now know I need to lock that dude over 4krpm which should fix that and give me back a tenth or two... lastly, I wanted to tow a big boat occasionally, and once across the country from Austin to Atlanta. That one, we shall see. Keith at HPTuners said I can just set the performance mode (tow/haul) to lock the TC always in 2nd 3rd and 4th and that will fix that! (voila, instant towing)

Archived