Steering rattle. Very abrupt, very pronounced.

marc_w

Out of the blue yesterday, I started getting a very pronouced rattle in the steering column. It can be felt in the floorboards.

It only occurs when the wheel is turned off center. It sounds like it's actually something under the dash, or up against the firewall. Pushing, pulling, and yanking the wheel does nothing if the truck is stationary.

I suspect there is something awry underneath the rubber boot that comes off the firewall on the engine side of things. I had my girlfriend working the wheel back and forth, while I interrogated stuff. Something in there seems to be catching on the inside of the boot, and making a very mild sticking noise... Definitely not what I hear/feel on the road, but it's a start. WD-40 was unable to help.

I don't believe it to be a front end component. It's not as "dull" feeling/sounding as those issues usually are. This seems to be right at the firewall, dash, or floorboards.

I've had the infamous "You need your intermediate steering shaft lubed" rattle before on my older GM trucks.... this feels a lot like it, but it's much worse, and came on very very suddenly.

Can anyone offer any assistance on this?

Thanks.

An update.

I've been able to duplicate the problem at low speeds by applying the gas or brakes, with the steering wheel turned but stationary.

If I push and pull on the steering shaft inside the engine compartment, I can feel and see it move around slightly at the firewall, under that black rubber boot. I'm not sure if there is a rubber bushing at the firewall, or if this is the source of the noise.

Also, sometimes the rattle will be very very rapid, almost like a very low pitch "grumble". Something that sounds like lube may help it.

Thanks Rico!

I can't seem to find the TSB though. Everyone talks about it, but it's just not there.

A see a lot of people on there say the clunk is felt more than heard, and mostly at low speeds. Mine is VERY easy to hear at any speed you're able to turn the wheel 45 degrees in either direction.

I'll have the thing lubed at the dealer (why should I spend $8 for the grease?), when the truck is in for the front diff leak...... but I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's a front end issue. It has felt very "unsure" lately. It catches ridges in the road and pulls all over the place. I got underneath and found the passenger side inner tierod boot wasn't securely over the large nut, and it allowed grease to ooze out. This probably happened when I got the truck alligned about 10K miles ago. :nonod:

FYI, I had the dealer lube the intermediate shaft. Resolved the noise for 3 weeks. The second time, they swapped the intermediate shaft and said "They try the lube first, and since it has a tendancy to leak out, they have upgraded to a newer intermediate shaft which holds the lube in place".

Its only been 4 weeks, but the knocking is gone for now..

Archived