Rear Window Noise

kevinthegreat

I never had a problem with mine until I took some co-workers to lunch.....My side windows had NEVER been opened up until that day, and I'm pretty sure one of the guys screwed up the seal on mine..... :mad:

I'm pretty sure there was also some sort of replacement kit for the latches on the windows, that would actually make the windows seal tighter........It's been a while back, but there were several people that had issues with the rear latches.......

Edited by GetWithIt (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure there was also some sort of replacement kit for the latches on the windows, that would actually make the windows seal tighter........It's been a while back, but there were several people that had issues with the rear latches.......

the latches is what i have kind of figured is the problem...the seals are perfectly fine, no cracks or spacing in them. it just seems like those windows dont shut very securely. if anyone has an answer please chime in

ALL the 99-07 GMT-800 extended cab windows suffer from wind leak - all of them. The problem was identified as poor window design, and the company contracted to do those windows lost that business to GM, another design team and vendor was selected for the rear windows on the GMT-900 truck (2007+). There are two problems, one is that the window itself will not close tight enough, and the second problem is the seal between the window and the door skin will not keep the wind out. GM's answer at the time for all rear window complaints was to literally replace the whole window, frame and all and I had one done under warranty myself. I also bought the aftermarket latches and they worked a little, there was an improvement but it was just a small one. It did seal it enough that now the main door seals are what leaks air like a mofo. :uhoh: I'm about ready to silicone the bastards closed.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

It is very annoying. My uncle has a 95 xcab with close to 200k on it and i have never once heard his leak. I wonder if it was a sh!ty job by the company or really a bad design on GM's part.

We talked about this on the forum with the GM design artist that created the SS styling package, he told us that GM subcontracted the rear EC window design and manufacturing to an outside company, can't remember who but it's here in the past forum posts somewhere. Anyways, the story he relayed was after the warranty claims and complaints came flooding in to GM that vendor basically lost all credibility and GM went with another supplier/manufacturer on the GMT-900 truck. In their defense, the rear EC windows on our trucks (GMT-800) I believe were the first robotically-installed rear door glass assemblies, and I got a feeling a lot of the window frame had to be designed so that a robot could just pop it into place on the assembly line; I'm pretty sure the mid-90s trucks had their rear side glass installed by hand but that's a guess on my part. Gotta love automation, when you make a mistake it quickly multiplies into a million copies of that mistake.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)