Where Does Your Extra Money Go?

JF-03-SS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of money spent, more to spend, not much visible to show for it. But that is because I am taking care of the messy stuff before the body/paint work.

-New power steering - everything was leaking and I have replaced everything but the pump. Still have a leak in the pump :( Going to send that out to get rebuilt by a pro.

-New exhaust system including new 2.5 inch (larger) stock manifolds. That really helped performance. I think at least one side was trying to exhaust through a pile of rust in one muffler.

-New stereo. Had the AM radio gutted and "AM/FM/AUX Input" guts put in. New Alpine speakers, using my ancient 4 channel Alpine amp from the 80's for now. Plenty of power but I don't know how long it will last.

-Bought the carb and intake manifold to get that looking original again. Since I have a 350 engine, stroked to a 383, and I am trying to make it look like a 327 from 64 (350 was not around back then) I am having to do some odd things to make it all work. Due to the cubic inch increase, I am using the 409 carb, which is more expensive, but has the CFM to feed the 383.

-Bought new drum brakes. New high performance shoes/cylinders/drums. I am getting rid of the front disk conversion I did back in the '80's since it kicks the tires/wheels out a inch or so and I want to get wider tires in there. I can't change the backspacing on the wheels without losing the ability to put on the hubcaps. Then there will be the cost of getting wider tires in 1" white wall at $220 each :o plus wider wheels to properly fit them.

-New 700r4 transmission being built. This is supposed to be a cool swap, lower first gear and over-drive on the top end. With the current TH350, top gear is 1:1, so I am turning 3,200 rpm at 65 mph. The .7 over-drive will drop that down to 2,200 rpm. After that, the differential will get it's long awaited turn and get beefed up and a small change of gearing.

I bought a used engine stand and it came with a 'free' motor, and old 283. Interestinly it has the same casting number as the original motor in my Impala. I still have not decided what to do with it. Perhaps a practice rebuild before I do my 383 :confused:

My buddy has the same car body is in rough shape on his but it has the 327 and powerglide all origanal.

Let me know if you need parts I have a set of 327 rings brand new

also I have a 700r4 chrome trans pan and a lot of 350 parts and brackets..

So things have been some what uptight around here lately so lets try something different and maybe fun for some. Post up pictures what you have been doing w/ your extra money lately (If you have any extra in this ecomomy, which I don't anymore, lol) Post pics. of what you have bought, or a project you are working on, or just a pic. of you last take out meal.

Little background on where my money is going right now. She is a 1996 Subaru Impreza L 2.2 that I bought 10/05 as a winter beater. Paid $3500.00 for her with 91,000miles on the clock. 1st thing I did was ditch the 15" steelies for the 5spoke goldies iseen in the one and only picture of her before my daughter took it from me in July '07.

Picture036.jpg

So she drove it until 8/09 when she bought a new car, ('05 Subaru RS). So at the end of Sept. '09 I decided to "fix her up" alittle bit and stop driving my SSS in the winter again. This is how she looked when I got her back (Goldies where sold).

subaru2.jpg

subaru1.jpg

So the first thing was the windows needed some tint.

Subaru003.jpg

Subaru004.jpg

And some new wheels/tires ('05 WRX)

Subaru009.jpg

Subaru008.jpg

Then these were just way to uncomfortable....

Subaru011.jpg

Subaru016.jpg

Bought some comfy front seats ('05 Impreza wagon)

Subaru012.jpg

Subaru014.jpg

Then this happened.......

photo-5.jpg

Then I decided that the tranny binding was more then I could stand and had a new (74,000miles) tranny installed. 1 week before X-Mas, 1 of the struts froze up on my way home from work. It was time for new suspension. I ordered new KYB AGX adj. struts, Eibach lowering springs, and new front top mounts.

photo.jpg

photo-3.jpg

While waiting for the parts to arrive, it was time to fix a few small things and get the trunk and wing painted.

photo-4.jpg

photo-2.jpg

As of right now, the struts/springs are installed but it is still in the shop finishing up the paint and buffing. I will be getting her back Sunday and then it needed an alignment....I'm having withdrawals. This is a fun little car :cool:

So when's a WRX or STi drivetrain going in? :D

Here's my project, which is at a stand still at the moment

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01403.jpg

DSC01407.jpg

I have all the chrome ready, Just waiting for summer. Then I need to save 5k for the interior :sick:

My buddy has a 55 that has the stock straight 8 in it that hes looking to get rid of if you know anyone interested. as far as i know its complete except the chrome on the sides and rusty floors. its been setting for at least 5-6 years under a car port but it ran when it was parked it needs a front seal in the trans as it is it used about 1 qt of trans fluid about every 6 feet it moves.

My buddy has a 55 that has the stock straight 8 in it that hes looking to get rid of if you know anyone interested. as far as i know its complete except the chrome on the sides and rusty floors. its been setting for at least 5-6 years under a car port but it ran when it was parked it needs a front seal in the trans as it is it used about 1 qt of trans fluid about every 6 feet it moves.

pm his location, phone number, and what he's asking please. I already have two 55 parts cars, but I could make 1 complete one

Rebuilding my winter DD....

94 pickup, frame looked like it fell off the cargo ship on its way over, and they just fished it out...

DSCF1394.jpg

106_1009.jpg

106_1010.jpg

106_1014.jpg

106_1020.jpg

106_1021.jpg

Frame is coated, shocks and exhaust peices are on their way, I'm almost done..gonna paint it flat black, tint the windows, tails and turn signals, etc...

• 2 weeks later...