How To Choose Tune

CTSSS

yeah ill definately be sure to give them a call

Let me know when you call and PM me back some info, I might get mine done when you go and maybe we can get a deal together. I mentioned that certain members name who is pulling the 14.18 1/4 mile and they said "O ya, no kidding we remember working on his truck. We loved working with him." So maybe we can get a deal together, they did hint at something like that.

edit- Like I said before, I live within 5-10 minutes of them and I am willing to put their sticker on my rear windshield to show their great work. I am sure they want a good word about them around town, then again they already have a great customer base.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Just throwing this out there, it isn't being on the dyno that makes the tune great, it is the person tuning your truck. A dyno tune is worthless without a good, knowledgable tuner........either tuner mentioned in this thread would be a good choice.

Your exactly right. A knowledgable tuner with a dyno is the best, then a "in person tune" 2nd and last but not least a mail order tune. Maybe I'm not understanding this statement. Quote from stg313 "I cant imagine Wheatly tune being everything a Blackbear tune is". It sounds like to me and I maybe wrong that wheatley doesn't have the capabilities of doing a good tune like blackbear can. Tell me if I'm wrong. So all I said was both are great tuners and if they have your vehicle in front of them to drive, test whatever thats the best way other than sticking it on a dyno to get it right. My tune was a mail order from wheatley and it runs dam great but if I had the luxury of being able to meet him in person and let him ride with me I bet he could squeeze out a little more performance. So like I say put both guys on the same vehicle doing a "in person tune" and I will bet you my paycheck you want see or feel a difference. JMO

I cant imagine Wheatly tune being everything a Blackbear tune is because nobody but you is there to know what feels right and what doesnt.

Don't know how I missed this statement, might want to re-think that....Charlie Wheatley has a big following here along with many satisfied customers. He has had my tune close to spot on since Day 1........

Ok I think I need to clarify myself a bit here. I'm sure Wheatley tunes are amazing, I see all the followers of his on the site. If they weren't up to par with something like a Blackbear tune Im sure somebody would have pointed that at out by now. With all the meets and comraderie(sp?) between soo many people on this site I can only assume that a great number of people are very firmiliar with the work of both tuners. The only thing I was attempting to point out is that in person tunes have advantages. For all I know, Wheatley may do in person tunes too- I've just never heard about it. I simply prefer the luxury of the tuner himself being in the vehicle. That assures to me that the tune I got is the best he can offer for my specific truck and my specific wants. I have no doubt that a Wheatley tune would be very similiar if it was done in person. However, without that person helping I would be left wondering if certain aspects could be improved upon. Blackbear offers mail order tunes just like Wheatley. Now those, I would bet, are extremely similar. Both are good, experienced tuners that people trust. It's like comparing 2 different kinds of apples: both are different and yet similar, but not everyone is going to like the same one. It's all personal preference. I hope this accurately describes my thoughts. Bottom line for me is, if I am going to spend a lot of money on something, I want to be as comfortable as possible with the quality of the service. In person tunes offer that comfort to me as opposed to mail order tunes. Sorry for the length

I would like to add for the Blackbear tune session that Hadley is 30-45 minutes north of Springfield,MA. Would not be happy to show up in Springfield only to find out to drive another 30 mins to get to Hadley.

If I did not have ESP near me or New England Dyno I would go Wheatley.

I would like to add for the Blackbear tune session that Hadley is 30-45 minutes north of Springfield,MA. Would not be happy to show up in Springfield only to find out to drive another 30 mins to get to Hadley.

If I did not have ESP near me or New England Dyno I would go Wheatley.

Yes but everyone that signs up get directions, Id didn't see where it says springfield.. :confused: :confused:

As far as ESP I have heard good and bad things. Also 200 bucks an hour as compared to 250 all together and he spends some time with you in the truck is huge. I was told that ESP does the same but I would go with someone like BlackBear or Wheatly because they work with these trucks everyday..

Made my decision :cheers: Good luck on deciding..

Again all of this is just my .02 :cheers:

Yes but everyone that signs up get directions, Id didn't see where it says springfield.. :confused::confused:

As far as ESP I have heard good and bad things.

I went to Blackbear's sight online and it says Springfield, MA. I respect everyone's decision on what tune they take, :cheers: . PM me some more info you know on ESP, would like to hear :chevy:

When picking a tuner you'll want to do a search on customer service, repeat problems, and just as important is performance. Look into some of the work of the choices you have and see who's work is running the number. A good tuner can tune a stock truck or car with ease. The more modified vehicles are where the challange comes in. Check out some of the faster vehicles that choice has tuned and see how happy they are and if they've had any issue's. In general do a search on here or if it's local ask around about their work. Whether it be mail order, dyno tune, or street tune, the tune is only as good as the person using the computer.

This is what dave at ESP told me, guess ill be going with blackbear in mass

"Thanks for your interest in our services. Unfortunately, you own the only vehicle yet that just will not fit on our dyno. The wheelbase is just too big. Normally, the Chevys cost about $500 to tune if we could do it."

Ok I think I need to clarify myself a bit here. I'm sure Wheatley tunes are amazing, I see all the followers of his on the site. If they weren't up to par with something like a Blackbear tune Im sure somebody would have pointed that at out by now. With all the meets and comraderie(sp?) between soo many people on this site I can only assume that a great number of people are very firmiliar with the work of both tuners. The only thing I was attempting to point out is that in person tunes have advantages. For all I know, Wheatley may do in person tunes too- I've just never heard about it. I simply prefer the luxury of the tuner himself being in the vehicle. That assures to me that the tune I got is the best he can offer for my specific truck and my specific wants. I have no doubt that a Wheatley tune would be very similiar if it was done in person. However, without that person helping I would be left wondering if certain aspects could be improved upon. Blackbear offers mail order tunes just like Wheatley. Now those, I would bet, are extremely similar. Both are good, experienced tuners that people trust. It's like comparing 2 different kinds of apples: both are different and yet similar, but not everyone is going to like the same one. It's all personal preference. I hope this accurately describes my thoughts. Bottom line for me is, if I am going to spend a lot of money on something, I want to be as comfortable as possible with the quality of the service. In person tunes offer that comfort to me as opposed to mail order tunes. Sorry for the length

Wheatley did my in-person tune and did the same thing as you stated. I sat in the passenger seat and he went to work on the laptop. Drove around stopped a few times until it was right where he wanted it.

For all I know, Wheatley may do in person tunes too- I've just never heard about it.

Just so everyone knows; Charlie Wheatley most definitely does hands-on tuning as well as mail-orders. While he is located in Houston and predominately does his business there, he has been known to travel for a group session from time to time.

Also, I would have to agree with Zippy and suggest that anyone contemplating getting a tune, research their choices as there is a ton of information out there on the major players and once you make your choice feel comfortable with it, as these guys do a ton of these things and pretty well knows what work and what doesn’t. While modified vehicles can throw some curveballs, it’s vehicles that have some underlying issue(s) that really screw with even the most competent tuner. Most of the complaints I’ve seen towards most of these guy’s really stem’d from some other problem with the vehicle.

This is what dave at ESP told me, guess ill be going with blackbear in mass

"Thanks for your interest in our services. Unfortunately, you own the only vehicle yet that just will not fit on our dyno. The wheelbase is just too big. Normally, the Chevys cost about $500 to tune if we could do it."

I alredy knew that, that is why I recomended New England Dyno for a Dyno tune, and ESP for a street tune. I would still go with ESP regardless, they concentrate on your truck, and only your truck with no rush.

Either way, happy tuning :chevy:

I've had a hand held jet programmer, pcm4less tune, and wheatley tune..... So far i say Wheatley blows everything else i had out of the water! Got my pcm back to me fast, tune was amazing! Great guy to deal with!

:chevy: