My Gmc Rcsb

Steve Sr.

Hi Thought I'd see if all of you think I'm crazy or not.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra RCSB that came from factory with a 4.3 V6.I hadn't been to a drag strip in about 28 years. I only live 8 miles from MOKAN Raceway.It is about 3 miles from the Kansas border in Missouri.I put a set of 4:11 in and installed a Superchip, I went up to see what my pickup would do,and it ran a 16.68 @89 mph.Not fast enough. So I got a 100 shot of NOS,and a 2800 stall convertor. Put the Superchip back to stock setting and still set the trans shift points and pressures and turned off rev limiter. Then I ran a 14.76 @ 92 mph.Not fast enough. So I pulled the motor and sent the cam out to be reground (trying to not have to retune)We also put 2.02 and 1.60 valves and shorty headers.Did a little porting on the exhaust ports.Then I ran 14.52 @ 93 mph. 2 tenths disappointing.

The shop that has been helping me (my health won't let me do to much) always told me Steve just put a 6.0 in.So I finally found a 04 silverado with a 6.0. So I got it and some friends said "why don't you put a carburetor on instead of the FI.Found an article in Hotrod mag and decided to do it.

Well then my troubles started.The trans wouldn't work so I got a TCI super street fighter turbo 350 with a 2800 stall. Of course my driveshat was 3 1/2 inches to short so had a new one made. Then fiquired out my guages wouldn't work so ordered all new Autometer gauges. Then found out theres no way to regulate the fuel pressure down to 6-7 pounds for the carb.So we are dropping the gas tank and replumbing for a holley blue and 1/2 inch fuel line,so we have enough volume for the NOS.Here are a couple of pics so far.

post-18973-1265414835_thumb.jpg

post-18973-1265414851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve Sr. (see edit history)

Nice work... but wouldn't it have been easier to just get a good tunning software like EFILive or HPTunners and have kept all of your electronics including your gauge cluster as well as the driveability of EFI and an overdrive gear for your trans...

Nice! The tires where really sticking to the ground on on the launch. What mods do you plan on doing to the 6.0L?

That launch was with the 4.3. It really comes off the line hard.

I took the 6.0 down to the short block and cleaned it all up.Replace the cam with a Comp Cam #XER273HR-14 224/230 dur.581 /592 lift. with heavier valve springs. Put arp2000 rod bolts and double roller chain and gears in.Put an Edelbrock performer manifold with the MSD ign.With a 850 QUICK FUEL on top.Powder coated valve covers and coil rails RED. Got the V8 radiator,already had the dual electric fans.

The gauge cluster had to be redone to accommodate the new Auto Guage gauges,tach,speedo,oil fuel,water temp,and volts.Pacemaker long tube headers.TCI super street fighter turbo 350 w/2800 stall.Has a ZEX NOS system.Will be starting off with 100 shot,then seeing if it can handle any more.

Probably will be changeing rear end to 4:56 or 4:88.This has been an experience.Hope it will be running by March 15th.

Nice work... but wouldn't it have been easier to just get a good tunning software like EFILive or HPTunners and have kept all of your electronics including your gauge cluster as well as the driveability of EFI and an overdrive gear for your trans...

Yes it would have but after I started it it was to late to turn back.My wife says I always do things backwards.It will be different thats for sure.

Yes it would have but after I started it it was to late to turn back.My wife says I always do things backwards.It will be different thats for sure.

Props to you for being different, and good luck with the build. deffinatly intrested in the results.

Props to you for being different, and good luck with the build. deffinatly intrested in the results.

Thanks I appreciate the interest. I'm hoping to get into the mid 12's.Say how do you get pictures on here like you have? (I'm not real good with these things).

• 3 months later...

what slicks r u ruunin what size r they im gonna be in the market soon....truck sounds good by the way

Thanks I was really suprised the way it sounds. I'll put a video on soon of start up and of under the hood also the dash. I have MT slicks 28X 9 X 15. The run on you tube was on my road with just street tires.The carb needs some different jets,it is really running rich.And probably different plugs. Thanks for the interest.

Steve Sr.

Thanks I was really suprised the way it sounds. I'll put a video on soon of start up and of under the hood also the dash. I have MT slicks 28X 9 X 15. The run on you tube was on my road with just street tires.The carb needs some different jets,it is really running rich.And probably different plugs. Thanks for the interest.

Steve Sr.

cool ide like to see more vids...i saw the slicks in the pics above and talked to someone at the track and i forgot what size he told me.....i am gettin ready to install the blower i just got and will need as much traction as poss. at the track

cool ide like to see more vids...i saw the slicks in the pics above and talked to someone at the track and i forgot what size he told me.....i am gettin ready to install the blower i just got and will need as much traction as poss. at the track

You will probably need to check with someone who knows the formula for slick size. Depends on horsepower,gear ratio, what kind of RPM you are going to turn and a number of other factors.

Edited by Steve Sr. (see edit history)

Well It was nice while it lasted. I should have done the bottom end. Heard a knock and drained the oil and cut the filter apart , had filings in both. Glad I turned it off right away.Well now it will be another 8 months or so to put a rotating assembly in. Would like to go with a 427 , but worry about over heating when bored .060. Any experence with boring that much with the cast 6.0 block?