Mass Air Flow Sensor - Problems

Stitches040

Hey All ...

Here is my deal. Seeing that I am getting rid of my PCMforless tune in April, and going with a Live Black Bear Performance Tune.

I have a little problem that is occurring ... It seems my MAF Sensor is F*cking up.

I have a Volant CAI and it has only been installed 3 years, with only about 12K miles on it. I have cleaned it out using an air hose. I have not re-oiled it at this point. That being said ...

I know that my new CAI is ramming way more air into my engine. So I constantly am getting P1010 codes, which tell me my CAI is out of whack. I have removed it and cleaned it too. I still pull the P1010 code. I have also received the "Reduced Engine Power" on my gauge cluster.

So with all this happening, I am thinking of going Aftermarket on a new MAF Sensor and install it, before my Live Tune.

That being said, here is my Conundrum to my fellow SSS'ers in the know -

Seeing the OEM MAF has the screen/mesh over the little wires. I feel that it may be causing problems with an accurate reading. Now if I go with an Aftermarket MAF Sensor, and get one that is nothing more then wires, with no screen. Will I reduce my P1010 codes? I know I am putting more air into the system, but is there truly any real difference I will gain from going to an Aftermarket MAF or should I just stay with a OEM.

Please chime in … as I need a little advise/guidance …

Respectfully,

Shuan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shaun an after market maf will not help you. your maf tables will need to be re scaled for you to get any fecent use out of it. i would get some maf cleaner and see if you can clean off your stock maf. if not you may have a faulty maf . i doubts its your cai .

if you cant fix your problem before the tune i would suggest getting a new oem replacement. descreening it will also cause problems and not help fix your problem.

could you have possibly got some oil on it from cleaning the air filter ? it is pretty common issue. but start off by cleaning it very carefully.

shaun an after market maf will not help you. your maf tables will need to be re scaled for you to get any fecent use out of it. i would get some maf cleaner and see if you can clean off your stock maf. if not you may have a faulty maf . i doubts its your cai .

if you cant fix your problem before the tune i would suggest getting a new oem replacement. descreening it will also cause problems and not help fix your problem.

could you have possibly got some oil on it from cleaning the air filter ? it is pretty common issue. but start off by cleaning it very carefully.

:withstupid: Descreening the MAF is kind of a nono although some do it......the screen is there to directionalize and straighten airflow for a smoother less turbulent charge of air, which means more power and better efficiency.

I gained 7HP on the dyno by descreening my MAF.. But as Dan stated.. some shake a finger at it.

I played around with several different brands and sizes of MAF's and came to realize that honestly your stock MAF is very comparable in alot of aspects to aftermarket brands.

My opinion is save the coin for your tune, and clean the stock MAF you have. After you get it tuned by Justin see where your at

I gained 7HP on the dyno by descreening my MAF.. But as Dan stated.. some shake a finger at it.

I played around with several different brands and sizes of MAF's and came to realize that honestly your stock MAF is very comparable in alot of aspects to aftermarket brands.

My opinion is save the coin for your tune, and clean the stock MAF you have. After you get it tuned by Justin see where your at

was the descreening done on the pull after you had a screen on it?

Yeah ... I just forgot to state, that I have gotton some MAF cleaner and have done that a few times too. I also have not re-oiled the Filter since install. I only have removed the filter to get at the MAF to clean that. So I just take an air hose, and blow on the filter from the inside out.

Shuan, you sure it isn't a P0101 code? I do not show a P1010 listed at all for the full size GM truck line in AllData. P0101-P0103 are all MAF codes......

Yeah ... Probably my Dyslexia in numbers shinning through ... :thumbs:

BTW ... thanks fot the Input ... I am just leaning towards an OEM one too ... just threw it out there to see what I might be missing.

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Don't gamble to much with a MAF especially one that had been sitting around for a while. My GMC with an 8.1l started throwing either a MAF code or a lean banks 1 & 2 code, it alternated between the two but never at the same time. So I replaced the maf from the GMC with my maf from my SSS, since I removed the MAF a while back when i went to speed density and it was running good back then. I cleand it and installed and on my first trip our with the truck by the time I got home the truck clogged both cats to the point where it couldn't run anymore.

:withstupid: Shuan, I have a maf you can try. I can bring it over to you. Call me on me new cell 518 491 5609 Also, you might want to check if your pcm is locked from that tune that you got.

You rolling in for some beer and wings?

Thanks Rob ... will do ... I have connections at Tornebene's GMC. They owe me, so I may just go get a brand new one FREE. And I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

Shuan, call me back! :ninja:

Will do ... Go insanely busy at work last night. I'll call during the big game, as I will be on patrol and cant watch it ... LOL

I would check all your hoses like it was stated before.

Will do ... BTW ... Hope to se you there ....

I shouldn't be locked. Brian didn't lock mine so I was able to retune with no probs.

I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

You rolling in for some beers and wings???