Mass Air Flow Sensor - Problems

Stitches040

Thanks Rob ... will do ... I have connections at Tornebene's GMC. They owe me, so I may just go get a brand new one FREE. And I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

Will do ... Go insanely busy at work last night. I'll call during the big game, as I will be on patrol and cant watch it ... LOL

Will do ... BTW ... Hope to se you there ....

I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

You rolling in for some beers and wings???

I should be swinging buy hopfully I can get a retune also.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rob ... will do ... I have connections at Tornebene's GMC. They owe me, so I may just go get a brand new one FREE. And I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

Will do ... Go insanely busy at work last night. I'll call during the big game, as I will be on patrol and cant watch it ... LOL

Will do ... BTW ... Hope to se you there ....

I called PCMForless .. they said it was Unlocked ... :thumbs:

You rolling in for some beers and wings???

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The most common cause to what you're seeing is an incorrect maf calibration and incorrect v.e. table. Your dynamic airflow is too far apart from the maf airflow. Have someone who know's what their doing go through and calibrate the v.e. table and the maf table. Tuning a pcm is a small part of the job. Most of the work in the pcm is calibrating, not just tuning. The stock maf with a cold air intake can be up to 14% off in parts of that table. An aftermarket maf or maf without a screen will be worse.

A descreened maf and a screened maf calibrated properly is not a 7hp gain. If you make pulls then remove the maf and re-dyno without calibrating the descreening of the maf you will pick up hp, but only because you just leaned it out. The most I've seen even with 500RWHP and up motors by descreening the maf is a 2-3RWHP gain.

Hi Shuan - Zippy's right, stick with the OE 78mm MAF and you need to have a live tune done, sounds like the MAF calibration needs work. If you suspect that your MAF sensor is shot, temporarily swap it with another known working unit just to see if the problem goes away or not, you can determine if your MAF is working right. And I highly recommend Justin Gadberry's work :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember what code number it was. I used the scanner at the local Schucks and it came back saying the MAF sensor. Wierd part is the light doesn't stay on. Its only on for a little while then out it goes. The dealer has said if its on for 24 hours straight then bring it in.

I don't remember what code number it was. I used the scanner at the local Schucks and it came back saying the MAF sensor. Wierd part is the light doesn't stay on. Its only on for a little while then out it goes. The dealer has said if its on for 24 hours straight then bring it in.

Doesn't matter if the light is on for 4 hours or 24 hours, it means there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Have it scanned again when the light comes on and post up the codes.........

Well ... After reading all your guys' posts and talking with Ben - GMPerformanceguy.

I believe that my Stock OEM Sensor is fine, it is just the calibration on it. So since I have not thrown a code in a while, I'll keep the one I got, and I'll clean the crap out of it before I roll down to see Justin. ... :thumbs:

Thanks for your help guys ...

Shuan

Doesn't matter if the light is on for 4 hours or 24 hours, it means there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Have it scanned again when the light comes on and post up the codes.........

Ok I went and pulled the codes again. The machine said the code number is P0101. Mass or Volume air flow circuit Range/Performance. The guy said I can buy cleaner and possibly clean it instead of buying a new one. Whats the best thing to do? I'm not very literate with these computer run vehicles.

Ok I went and pulled the codes again. The machine said the code number is P0101. Mass or Volume air flow circuit Range/Performance. The guy said I can buy cleaner and possibly clean it instead of buying a new one. Whats the best thing to do? I'm not very literate with these computer run vehicles.

If you read all posts above, that's the same problems that I have been having. Just get some MAF Cleaner (spray can) ... take it apart, and give it a squirt. Just let it air dry and reasemble. If you have a CAI and Tune, you'll probably have the code repeat, as I have had happen.

Good luck ...

JFYI: GM uses a de-screened MAF on the GEN IV trucks. the wiring plug is different than the SSS, but I would not be surprised if it could be hacked to use a Gen III plug.

I believe that its used on the 6.2 escalade/Denali. had one from my head swap but sold it on PT.net

JFYI: GM uses a de-screened MAF on the GEN IV trucks. the wiring plug is different than the SSS, but I would not be surprised if it could be hacked to use a Gen III plug.

I believe that its used on the 6.2 escalade/Denali. had one from my head swap but sold it on PT.net

The gen 4 PCM also has a higher resolution regarding the MAF than a gen 3, so that also plays a factor when it comes to the MAF sensor