Ram Air Hood

So I got my new ram air steel hood in and it looks good. The bracing and all looks factory. So I have got this great looking hood and I go to get the insert out and wtf, It's plastic. You will see the 4 holes where the studs go thru and you install the nuts on the studs. The photo when I purchased it looked like a steel mesh screen that installed on the hood. Well it's not. The plastic insert has a molded mesh wire look. So here is the plan. I'm not going to use the plastic insert, instead I will be fabbing something different. I have a few ideas that I have sketched up. I do want to do something different. So I will keep you updated. I have 1 in mind that I'm thinking of doing, and that's the Camaro SS hood mock up. What do you guys think. Here is a photo of the base unit that I will be working with.post-14750-1266191576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hawkman (see edit history)

So I got my new ram air steel hood in and it looks good. The bracing and all looks factory. So I have got this great looking hood and I go to get the insert out and wtf, It's plastic. You will see the 4 holes where the studs go thru and you install the nuts on the studs. The photo when I purchased it looked like a steel mesh screen that installed on the hood. Well it's not. The plastic insert has a molded mesh wire look. So here is the plan. I'm not going to use the plastic insert, instead I will be fabbing something different. I have a few ideas that I have sketched up. I do want to do something different. So I will keep you updated. I have 1 in mind that I'm thinking of doing, and that's the Camaro SS hood mock up. What do you guys think. Here is a photo of the base unit that I will be working with.post-14750-1266191576_thumb.jpg

I got the same hood . I have some black diamond mesh I got on ebay. Take a look on ebay If you like it I'll send you a piece of it free. :cheers:

I got the same hood . I have some black diamond mesh I got on ebay. Take a look on ebay If you like it I'll send you a piece of it free. :cheers:

Thanks for the offer. I bought a street scene insert that goes in a nissan maxima off ebay pretty cheap. It will match the grille I have on my truck now. Not really sure if I will put a grille in it. My grille is powder coated black and the grille insert I purchased is alluminum color. I think I need to paint it black to or leave it silver like my brake ducts and bowtie. If I painted it black you probably wouldn't see it up against a black hood. I'll have to wait and see what i come up with. Thanks again for the offer.

I like that hood alot, I like it even better when you said your going to do the camaro ss hood mock up that would look damn (.Y.) I would keep the mesh silver color to match the brake air ducts imo like you stated. Make sure to post some pics when your done! :chevy:

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

I will post photos as I go thru it from start to finish. Yeah I agree I think the Camaro SS hood mock up up look good. I have black poster board to get a design up, then transfer it to sheet metal. I went with black poster board to match the black primer that's on it now so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and to get a real look of it before I actually start. Poster board is alot cheaper and easier to redo than steel. I will keep ya'll posted. Here is a example of my idea.

post-14750-1266252109_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I will post photos as I go thru it from start to finish. Yeah I agree I think the Camaro SS hood mock up up look good. I have black poster board to get a design up, then transfer it to sheet metal. I went with black poster board to match the black primer that's on it now so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and to get a real look of it before I actually start. Poster board is alot cheaper and easier to redo than steel. I will keep ya'll posted. Here is a example of my idea.

post-14750-1266252109_thumb.jpg[/quote

Edited by weiner (see edit history)

Thanks for the offer. I bought a street scene insert that goes in a nissan maxima off ebay pretty cheap. It will match the grille I have on my truck now. Not really sure if I will put a grille in it. My grille is powder coated black and the grille insert I purchased is alluminum color. I think I need to paint it black to or leave it silver like my brake ducts and bowtie. If I painted it black you probably wouldn't see it up against a black hood. I'll have to wait and see what i come up with. Thanks again for the offer.

so how do i cancel my membership this place sucks huge randy brundidge tiny shemale balls

..........................Where is the ban-hammer at...?..............F'n Trolls.............................. :troll:

so how do i cancel my membership this place sucks huge randy brundidge tiny shemale balls

With a 50cal in the side of your head. What a waist of a perfectly good bullet. Before you pull the trigger take a good look at my POS hood because that would be the only thing worth remembering. You weiner.

With a 50cal in the side of your head. What a waist of a perfectly good bullet. Before you pull the trigger take a good look at my POS hood because that would be the only thing worth remembering. You weiner.

i love that just so everybody knows im messing around with hawkman just got my account so i could see the stuff hes always telling us about you guys have a goodnight

post-14750-1266252109_thumb.jpg

hey hawkman can u let me know about the poster board thing trying to do ram air on firechicken if it works let me know

I can't wait to see what you produce. I had the same hood on my '05 and had the same reaction when I pulled that stupid plastic insert out of the box. I couldn't believe they would make such a badass hood and then go cheap on the mesh grille. I honestly thought they should have just left that section smooth with no mesh rather than what they went with. What I did with mine was cut out the word CHEVY, installed some plexiglass sanded to a haze behind the word and a white neon shining through that was wired to my HID headlights. It came out pretty nice, but I ended up trading my truck for the '06 SS and selling the hood. I wish they would make that style hood for the '06, but for now I'm looking to convert my front end to the '03-'05 style so that I can possibly buy the hood again. What are they going for nowadays? I believe I paid $460 for mine back in '06.

I can't wait to see what you produce. I had the same hood on my '05 and had the same reaction when I pulled that stupid plastic insert out of the box. I couldn't believe they would make such a badass hood and then go cheap on the mesh grille. I honestly thought they should have just left that section smooth with no mesh rather than what they went with. What I did with mine was cut out the word CHEVY, installed some plexiglass sanded to a haze behind the word and a white neon shining through that was wired to my HID headlights. It came out pretty nice, but I ended up trading my truck for the '06 SS and selling the hood. I wish they would make that style hood for the '06, but for now I'm looking to convert my front end to the '03-'05 style so that I can possibly buy the hood again. What are they going for nowadays? I believe I paid $460 for mine back in '06.

$395.00 shipped to me. www.streetpros.com