Headers

1tweeker

I am new to this site I hope I am doing this right. I live in cameron park,ca and looking for a good set of headers that

are priced 500 to 900 dollars. What brands are good and should I use short,long,ceramic,polished? I have to be able to

pass smog, and I am planning on using a magnaflow daul in and out muffler.

The price range helps, but your info is really broad. From your price range, check out Pacesetter, JBA, Dough Thorley, and Edelbrock. Is quality a big factor in deciding? I would not add shorty headers as gains average around 10-15hp (not worth the money in my opinion, that is why I personally would only go with LT's). You should also consider a tune as this will help bring your truck alive and make the most of your investment (check out Blackbaer, LEP, Wheatley tunes). Also, do you plan on installing the headers yourself?

Coatings (ceramic, polished) depend on the use of your vehicle, such as will it see weather elements and how hard you run the truck, how often, etc?

Hope this helps a little bit to start you off in some direction. You will need cats to pass smog. Any more info on goals, or what you are looking for will help members point you in the right direction. The search button, bolt-on and engine modification section can help you out also with info :chevy:

The price range helps, but your info is really broad. From your price range, check out Pacesetter, JBA, Dough Thorley, and Edelbrock. Is quality a big factor in deciding? I would not add shorty headers as gains average around 10-15hp (not worth the money in my opinion, that is why I personally would only go with LT's). You should also consider a tune as this will help bring your truck alive and make the most of your investment (check out Blackbaer, LEP, Wheatley tunes). Also, do you plan on installing the headers yourself?

Coatings (ceramic, polished) depend on the use of your vehicle, such as will it see weather elements and how hard you run the truck, how often, etc?

Hope this helps a little bit to start you off in some direction. You will need cats to pass smog. Any more info on goals, or what you are looking for will help members point you in the right direction. The search button, bolt-on and engine modification section can help you out also with info :chevy:

Quality and performance are number 1 . What do you mean by tune ? It is a daily driver and will see rain and some snow. Do long tubes replace the cat's, I have done the super chips programmer and K & n intake and will be putting on a magnaflow dual in daul out muffler, and some e3 plugs, I plan on installing myself, I hope this helps you to help me, sorry for the fast reply taking 5 minute break from splicing cables in the rain. thank you for your reply :cheers:

lose the superchip programmer and forget about the e3 plugs. when you do find a set of Cali legal headers get in touch with a tuner (Wheatley, Blackbear or Zippy) to tune the truck, you will get alot better gains from a custom tune over a handheld. As for plugs, most guys on here will recommend NGK TR-55 Iridium plugs and either MSD or Taylor wires. And like desrtrat said if you can find somewhere that will look the other way if you have long tubes id go with either pacesetter ceramic coated headers or LPP stainless steel headers.

Zach

As mentioned previously I wouldn't waste my time on shorties. Get some good longtubes and just have your muffler guy add cats. Dynatech headers have the option of high flow cats and they bolt right up but they are pricey. Pacesetter makes a good set of headers at an affordable price but no cats are included. ARH makes some great headers but again they are goin to cost you $$$. Make sure you find a smog guy that isn't too strict about things like factory location of the cats or crap like that. My smog guy never checks under the truck he just pops the hood, takes a quick look, then proceeds to conduct the sniffer test. :chevy:

Here is a sale on Dynatech LT's with high flow cats. Little bit more than your price range, but if you can wait and save some coin, performance/quality is top notch.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.aspx?cate...p;partid=482037

sound clip of dynatech's w/corsa exhaust (the setup I am going with eventually)

Maybe some cali members can help you out with a good inspection guy. I am not too knowledgable about coatings as I have not needed to do so yet (check out JetHot, I have read good things about them here). Good luck and congrats on the Intimidator :chevy:

i believe bassani make a carb legal header check out their site i know that superior stocks them in anahiem bassani lists them as a dealer as far as price they r like 800 i was shopping around a while back but i found a guy to look the other way and i am now goin with pacesetters from LEP....hope this helps

the best you can do in CA is mids or shorty's. or find someone who will look the other was when they smog it..i have TOGs but there gone. check with the other manufactures for CARB. headers. get them as long as possible..

good luck

so what you're sayin is that in order to meet emission standards you can't do LTs? just curious cuz i wanna do LTs

so what you're sayin is that in order to meet emission standards you can't do LTs? just curious cuz i wanna do LTs

it's not the long tubes per say. the cats/O2s MUST remain in the stock factory location..when running LT's you have to move them father down stream than stock..sucks, i know but thats the law.. :M16:

:seeya: