Spare Tire Secondary Latch System

yembo77

OK so today I feel like my GM is a Toyota. The stupidity and poor design, in the aire of safety of course, to put a secondary latch system on a spare tire, is just the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

So I'm trying to put my spare on the truck and spent 2 hours trying to get the spare tire off the truck, IN MY SHOP, to no avail!!!!!

GM, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! If I was on the side of the highway with my boat on the back, I'd have unhitched the boat, moved it to a safe location, and then torched the truck to the ground! OK not really, but I'm just beside myself that GM would do such a dumb move and install a safety feature which would hinder you in an emergency situation.

So then...I've read the manual cover to cover concerning how to lower the spare in this situation.

It's not working.

I click the winch and lower it 3-4 times and nothing.

I jack the spare up like they say and lower it, and nothing.

And now I hear from my father in law to be, who's a GM dealer, that on some of the newer GM's, that the secondary latch has to be replaced if it doesn't lower. This tire has never been used! Come on! So the dealer wants an hour time, plus parts to do the job. I'm taking a torch to it.

So has anyone had the same problem? I tried to call some of my buddies who drive a hook, but they usually just tow it if they have to fight too hard. I used to do the same thing when I towed, so I don't blame them.

Thanks,

I got a flat on my truck for the first time at around 65K miles and I had a similar issue. The state of Virginia provides a service where they will send someone out to change the tire for you and the guy was having trouble getting my spare down as well. Turns out that it was rusted in place and just had to be hit with a mini sledge. Ended up that it didnt matter anyways because my aftermarket brakes wouldnt fit inside the spare so we had to call in a flatbed........... thank god for AAA!

I got a flat on new years eve, on the side of the road for 2 hours trying to get the damn spare tire down. Same deal, read the manual cover to cover ... I'm pretty mechanical and the damn thing wouldn't come down. Finally just drove the truck home the few miles.

Still need to cut the spare down....

I got a flat on new years eve, on the side of the road for 2 hours trying to get the damn spare tire down. Same deal, read the manual cover to cover ... I'm pretty mechanical and the damn thing wouldn't come down. Finally just drove the truck home the few miles.

Still need to cut the spare down....

EXACTLY! I was in my shop, had everything at my dispose, and still nothing! I wanted to put the word out before I went torching or beating the snot out of it with a mini sledge. Wow...how dumb. I think mine is probably rusted or corroded on place. I can't see it up in there, but it must be some kind of spring loaded latch.

-matt

When I got my first flat on Mind it took me and my cousin like 2 hours just to get the dumb tire to lower down. The worst part it was snowing to beat hell out and we couldn't feel our toes or fingers by the time we got dun about an hour and a half later GM's spare tires set up sucks ass my dads toyota is way easer to get down and its an 1985

I had this same issue about 8 months back when I got a crack pipe stuck in my tire, lol. We just kept working the thing back and forth and if finally droped. I will go get my secondary latch looked at myself. Also a good friend of mine had the same trouble in his 03 Trailblazer. So this is definately a GM problem that should be recalled in my opinion. I think we should all throw our names in the pot and send a letter to GM getting the problem fixed.