Gmc Syclone Rebuild!

Quinnster

wow. you have a nice pile of parts there. should wake it up a bit. theres a guy here that is thinking of selling his Sy id like to get ahold of one. as far as traction he probably wont have a problem AWD FTW.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the build.I hope your machinist has done some of these motors in the past.I know they are real sensitive to the right parts and mods to hold together.I guess you are already hooked up with the Typhoon/Syclone forums.Those guys will tell you what you need.I know turbo and converter combo is very important.Again.Good luck.

• 2 months later...

If it makes anywhere near the power you're expecting traction will be a problem. As many on here know AWD is far from the answer for traction. I've worked on a decent number of SyTy's and any that make power spin hard if they are on street tires. Caltrac's, QA1's, better rear diff, and locker in the front has been solutions I've seen. If you go to the big SyTy events drag radials are common. What's amazing is how similar they are. Both the Silverado SS and Syclone hook very well right down to the 1.6 range and anything past that really takes work.

As for the engine, nice choice on the rods. The 6" rod will be a nice gain in keeping the piston lighter and getting the rod/stroke ratio even better. You'll really like the silicone hose as it doesn't dry crack like the crap rubber hose. I also really like the splayed mains. As you really begin to make more power that will keep everything in it's place in an area where the stock block really had issue's since it just wasn't made for that. It's a shame that the SyTy's weren't taken serious by GM. They knew they were making a limited production vehicle with a limited lifespan. If GM had put the effort into the 4.3L for the SyTy it would have been built somewhat the way you're building it. SyTy's are alot like owning a boat, they are a constant maintenance, but they are a ton of fun when they are right and they have that rare factor that makes them cool. Keep the updates coming, it's a good build for this site.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice. I just saw a Syclone for the first time the other week. They had so much power coming out of it they had a wheelie bar on it. Said if they didnt have the wheelie bar truck would run a wheelie in the quarter mile, regardless of the awd. And that was without the n2o. The top half of the engine was sticking about 2 feet above the hood. I am going back to chat with them, they love the SS pickups. Their from upstate NY.

Very nice build, those trucks are supah nice.

Thanks for your advice Zippy! Anyways you guys reminded me thats it has been a while since I updated this, so this is my status as of now.

Here are the pistons and rods put together. Way too sexy to be hidden in the engine block, haha

IMG_1122.jpg

Pulled out the crank and admired it for a bit before installing.

8b3cc2de.jpg

Dropped or actually set her in the block and threaded the main cap studs.

2cb1b845.jpg

Cool stamp so I know the torques for the main studs and weight oil to thread them with

b2414578.jpg

Pistons and rods installed

cd807af0.jpg

47477f6d.jpg

c36fcb0c.jpg

b8f30b96.jpg

88a61858.jpg

And thats about all I got for now, but I should have no issue finishing the engine within a week since all of the parts are now in!

Just gotta get my ported heads back in the next few days and degree the cam then finish assembly. The more exciting stuff is coming up so stay tuned!

But for now she just looks mad at me...

d0c881a9.jpg

That baby is gonna haul some ass!

Those CP pistons are a great choice. I had a set custom made by them for my Buell motor and they are a very good piston.

Can't wait to see some nasty vids of it when it's done. Good Job!

That baby is gonna haul some ass!

Those CP pistons are a great choice. I had a set custom made by them for my Buell motor and they are a very good piston.

Can't wait to see some nasty vids of it when it's done. Good Job!

Yea, I'm getting pretty excited and ancey. I also recently got a go pro so there will be some videos in the future! peelout.gif

Looking fantastic Quinn! :thumbs: And I love those pistons, true works of art.

Mr. P. :)

Thanks, I ended up passing on that blue SS I called you about, then went back a month or so later(last weekend) and drove it again, and something told me not to buy it even though it did seem to run and shift smooth. I just ended up going with my gut feeling and decided against it. I need a to save up more $$ if I decide to get one, and get a cleaner low mile one that used to be loved!Chevy_anim.gif

Thanks, I ended up passing on that blue SS I called you about, then went back a month or so later(last weekend) and drove it again, and something told me not to buy it even though it did seem to run and shift smooth. I just ended up going with my gut feeling and decided against it. I need a to save up more $$ if I decide to get one, and get a cleaner low mile one that used to be loved!Chevy_anim.gif

Can't fault you for that! Like I said, they made thousands of these trucks, there's no excuse for sticking yourself with a POS. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

• 4 months later...

Its been a while since I have updated, so I figured I would go ahead and do so now. So here is where I'm at.

I figured while the engine was out I might as well take out the front diff and replace it with a lower mile one or take the chances of having it rebuilt. I ended up deciding to go with a company that does nothing but drive shafts and differential and figured they would properly rebuild it. It turns out they didn't... When a fellow SYTYer came over and looked at it he immediately didn't like the feel of the pre load on the ring and pinion (too tight). Since it has a 2 year warranty I decided against his good judgement to go ahead and put it in, and after fussing with it for a while and installing it I filled it up with diff oil and it immediately started seeping out banghead.gif So I spent the time and took it back out and sent it back to them and let them know the issues and they currently have it and promise it will be right this time. :)

Since I had time to kill while waiting for parts I decided to put in new body mounts, paint the frame and clean the firewall and this is what I got. Not the cleanest in the world, but without the build taking many years and costing more than I can afford this will do and it actually looks pretty good!:D

f715d25d.jpg

Now we get to the valve train which took a bunch of thinking time to get right. First issue was that I need to find a rocker stud with the M10 size to thread into the block and 3/8" for the Scorpion Roller Rockers, which I found from Comp Cams, but then stud was only getting 5 threads of engagement even with the guide plates raising them up a bit. The other problem I found it that the rockers were riding too far forward on the valve stem and almost rolls completely off the stem at full lift.

To solve both problems at once I had the idea of getting shorter push rods. I got some adjustable push rods and ended up finding out I needed a push rod exactly 7" in length to give me a safe amount of threads and keep the roller tip centered forward and back on the valve stem. Got that issue solved then find the next one.

After that I noticed the rockers on the center cylinder heads would not open the valves with the rocker tip on the exact center left and right of the valve stem. They were aimed too far out from each other which I believed would cause premature wear on the valve train. You can somewhat tell from the picture what I'm talking about.

75b57e1e.jpg

When a friend saw the problem he talked to some other people and they came up with the idea of using Comp Cams width adjustable guide plates. I set those up today and were able to get them aligned absolutely perfectly! Now I just need to put a tiny spot of weld on each one to lock them together and keep then from losing their position. You can see in the picture that on the center cylinders guide plates have a bigger gap. I guess the push rod holes in the heads are spread out a little further on the center valves for some reason?:dunno:

96fc5b4c.jpg

And now they all sit perfectly center!

752c063a.jpg

It really took quite a bit of work to get the heads right, but It should be well worth it! I think the list of parts bought for the valve train alone is about half of the entire list of engine parts and the cause of the obstacles I had to overcome on this engine.

Now the plan it to resume on the truck once I get back from my work trip to Georgia later this month. Then engines gotta get painted, accessories bolted on and put into its new home. Finally it may be just around the corner. Nothing I want more for Christmas than to hear the Syclone start up again! peelout.gif

• 1 month later...

Another Update

Took the engine over to my neighbor to have the adjustable guide plates welded the other day.

15103c0e.jpg

714dc076.jpg

Thank you Mr. Tat!

86bbcd29.jpg

Started the assembly the next day, then had to go outta town for work which put me at a hault!

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

When I get back in town on tuesday I'm going to try and finish assembly and get here 100% ready to throw in the truck early February. Wish me luck!