New Name On Top

04CHASE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Chase!!!! pepsicheer.gif A little advice coming from my experience.....be very careful about making the jump to a cage, more drag oriented setup, etc. I've been down that road with a cough cough....mustang and I regret it. My car used to run 11.0's at 129mph!!!!, get 23 mpg on the hwy, kicking stereo with subs, air conditioning, ps, etc. Looked stock too! I used to drive it to the track as well----I loved the attention that car got. You'd take out a big block race car and people would be tripping out in the pits when you came back aroundcrackup.gif Long story short, I got booted off of 3 tracks (no cage), broke 3 stock blocks, so I decided to build a good engine and a bar in it. That evolved into a cage and more race oriented suspension, etc. At that time the sound deadner, heat, ac, sub box, etc came out. Car went 9.20 at 150 in that fashion with a hurt motor and burnt out slicks. Took it back apart and it's currently getting mini-tubs, 25.5 chassis, motor/mid plate, F2, etc. Goal is 7.80's in the 170's.

I won't say that I regret having a fast street/strip (more race obviously---lol) car, but going from a car that I drove 5-10,000 miles a year to racing once or twice a month really sucks!!! I would find myself not driving it much because of the C-16 fuel that I ran ($75 for 5 gallons back in 07). I could tune it for 93 + meth or two separate tunes for race gas/pump gas, but that's a PIA (draining the fuel, etc). Where there's a will, there is a way, but looking back, I would have kept it more sane and kept my ac, ps, subs, sound deadner, etc. With the good engine (dart block, 4340 crank, rods, etc) I could easily have had the car running mid 9's with all of the shit I had on there (love the ac---lol). Car was really cool back then.......

Basically, are you looking for the fastest SSS in the country or the fastest street SSS in the country? Anyone can take one of these trucks and put a chassis under it, big power and go fast. It is an SS or is it............ IMHO, I think your truck would be wayyyyyyy cooler like it is running 10 teens (or possibly high 9's) on drag radials with a lot of work tuning the chassis/power ramp up, driven to the track and basically like it rolled off the line years ago, then a 9.50 truck that has all of race car bells and whistles.... Of course there is the safety factor to consider to so maybe the cage ideal isn't so bad after all...... As far as street driving, I hated my car after adding the roll cage. It allowed a lot of vibrations and noises to transmit into the passenger compartment, etc. Good luck either way you go and GREAT JOB!!!! That truck is sick! smoker.gif

• 2 weeks later...