GT42 Custom Turbo Install

the gt42 is a fairly big turbo it is bigger than the garrett t-70 but smaller than the t-76. The extra cubic inch will make it make a pretty fast spool up. Also with that compressor side of the turbo you can run in the 74% efficiency range to 3.8 bar, which is like 42 lbs of boast, which is crazy. this is a very efficient turbo. in my opinion this turbo could put you into the 10's if everything else is dialed in properly.

As for intercoolers i ran across this guy who makes intercoolers, but if you know how to weld, they aren't to bad to make yourself.

there is a twin magnacharger setup that looks pretty cool.

http://www.toohighpsi.com/coolers/index.htm

The GT42 flows more at both low and high pressure than a T76 at least the way I read the maps

t76.gifGT42compress.jpg

marc W

The 427 moved to TX and will soon be finding a home in a Rx7. The Radix is leaving for MI :seeya:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A built 408 Iron Block..With fairly crappy ARE stage II heads from 2002 and a Garrett GT42 102mm w/53 trim. The GT42 should be here in about 14hours.. The motor has the right parts 9:1 ect... built for low rpm performance 509HP@5650 & 518TQ@4500 on the engine dyno. The motor and tranny are back in the truck as of today.. Hoping to have it running in 2 weeks or sooner.

Any comments on which is the best Air to Water Intercooler and where to get it?

Thinking my 57lb ([email protected]) fuel injectors may not be enough?

Starting out with the idea of using the stock truck manifolds, that may change as things move along.

What the best size exhaust and muffler? The exhaust portion of the turbo is 4.8 inches thats a big pipe to run... And what kind of muffler would you put on there...

Is 15psi on pump gas possible with decent timing?

I'm hopeful it won't have much turbo lag with my setup as the motor is all done well before 6k rpms.

Hey Dennis, good to see you on the board again. Been a while.

I think you should be fine on those injectors for less than 15psi boost or so... I would start with the stock manifolds and use high flow cats or no cats at all... I do think 15psi on pump gas is possible if you can keep IAT low enough... You know, you can use some of the technology in the STS setup for remote mounting and add an intercooler like the ATI or some folks have tried an intercooler based off the A/C in that area since the intake is gone.

this would be a great time for kurt to show up. without a doubt he would have the answers you were looking for...

:withstupid:

is wheel to wheel going to bring out the kit, I have not seen any posts from kurt with all of this turbo talk?? Maybe he is too close to let any secrets out of the bag :nonod:

• 3 months later...

You know what would be nice is a set of the 02 LS2 exhaust maniflods, they are suppose to be about 30% larger than the LS6 manifold, plus it is a 4 into 2 into 1 style maniflod verses a 4 into 1 style like ours. :thumbs:

BTW i wonder how MNC5 GT-42 project is coming ????

750HP can sneak up on ya quick. I would think that a full blown 408 with heads/cam and 15psi should hit that NP. So you might want to be carefull which IC you get.

I can't quantify this but if you take my recent trap speed and do the calcs for weight 110mph vs 5250lbs you get roughly 545rwhp. Now do the 23% calc for drivetrain loss for a 4x4 (trapping in 4WD) and you get 670HP. Kinda scary when ya think about it. It doesn't sound too far fetched either when you think about the fact that a stock LS1 puts out almost 400HP on an engine dyno. :puke:

Someone kidnapped my truck in July ... I'm hoping to have it back soon and I'll post some info about the entire situation :banghead:  Becareful who you deal with..

I can get some of my South Side Chicago boys assembled and we make a visit if needed.... :wtf::wtf::wtf:

As of now I'm waiting for a court date. It's Doug Rippie Motorsports DRM that I'm having the dispute with. They have directions from Chicago posted on their website :jester: I'll post more info after I get my truck back :banghead:

Someone kidnapped my truck in July ... I'm hoping to have it back soon and I'll post some info about the entire situation :banghead:  Becareful who you deal with..

I can get some of my South Side Chicago boys assembled and we make a visit if needed.... :wtf::wtf::wtf:

As of now I'm waiting for a court date. It's Doug Rippie Motorsports DRM that I'm having the dispute with. They have directions from Chicago posted on their website :jester: I'll post more info after I get my truck back :banghead:

That suuuucks, Dennis! Call the police?

Archived