GT42 Custom Turbo Install

A built 408 Iron Block..With fairly crappy ARE stage II heads from 2002 and a Garrett GT42 102mm w/53 trim. The GT42 should be here in about 14hours.. The motor has the right parts 9:1 ect... built for low rpm performance 509HP@5650 & 518TQ@4500 on the engine dyno. The motor and tranny are back in the truck as of today.. Hoping to have it running in 2 weeks or sooner.

Any comments on which is the best Air to Water Intercooler and where to get it?

Thinking my 57lb ([email protected]) fuel injectors may not be enough?

Starting out with the idea of using the stock truck manifolds, that may change as things move along.

What the best size exhaust and muffler? The exhaust portion of the turbo is 4.8 inches thats a big pipe to run... And what kind of muffler would you put on there...

Is 15psi on pump gas possible with decent timing?

I'm hopeful it won't have much turbo lag with my setup as the motor is all done well before 6k rpms.

GT422_full.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wil be good to get you back on the road again.

Those injectors should get you fed well enough.

How about one of these with a custom elbow for the throttle body:

new%20toy.jpg

That intake would allow you to have complete freedom in placing the intercooler since the TB doesnt have to sit in front. The runner length benefits of the plastic intakes won't matter near as much when you are throwing that much boost at it. You could also run a nice fogger plate with it if you wanted. ;)

You'll need to get some custom parts for the exhaust. Check with Gail banks and see if one of their aftermarket diesel pipes could be made to fit your application.

Pump gas w/ 15 psi on a 9:1 motor should be possible, especially since you live in MN. In Texas it would be a bit more difficult.

I've seen one of those on the engine dyno.. Other than a flat spot in the mid range they make more power where you use it in a race situation 4500 and up. With boost it would be even better. It would free up options for Intercooler placement too..

I'm kind of feeling like I should have kept the Radix. But time will tell... It will be interesting to see how the FLP holds up with the turbo...

How much do those manifolds sell for Richard ?

Thanks for the tips, too..

Any comments on which is the best Air to Water Intercooler and where to get it? kinda unfamilier with all that's out there on this.

Thinking my 57lb ([email protected]) fuel injectors may not be enough? my guess would be this should be enough for 10-12psi of boost, seems like they might be a bit small for 15psi.

Starting out with the idea of using the stock truck manifolds, that may change as things move along. aside from it being a bitch and alot more work, custom headers would probably help for clearance and flow.

What the best size exhaust and muffler? The exhaust portion of the turbo is 4.8 inches thats a big pipe to run... And what kind of muffler would you put on there...

going with much less than a single 4" would likely be a real restriction and as for muffler i'd probably use a borla xr1 or race magnum.

probably possible, but much over about 12 on your set up unless you have one hell of an intercooler probably wouldn't get you enough timing on pump gas to be worth it.

just my initial thoughts on that list. as for the intake, i believe that's the gm one correct? pn: 88958675... list price is 465.00 and dealer cost is 325.50. should be interesting to see if the flp holds up. using the vigilante converter this time?

:thumbs: I would personally go with an air to air as air to water is better for racing and not so hot for street driving

:thumbs: 57lbs with a larger fuel pump you will be ok

Starting out with the idea of using the stock truck manifolds, that may change as things move along.

:thumbs: I believe Parish uses stock manifold on the turbo side and headers on the other bank

:thumbs: Free flowing muffler 4" is too big to run all the way back IMHO

:thumbs: You are gonna have to look at some serious cooling ie methanol or an intercooler that can flow more than 700CFM(enough flow for 500HP) Gonna be a biggun the larger the I/C is the more boost lost through it

Jonathan

A built 408 Iron Block..With fairly crappy ARE stage II heads from 2002 and a Garrett GT42 102mm w/53 trim. The GT42 should be here in about 14hours.. The motor has the right parts 9:1 ect... built for low rpm performance 509HP@5650 & 518TQ@4500 on the engine dyno. The motor and tranny are back in the truck as of today.. Hoping to have it running in 2 weeks or sooner.

I'm hopeful it won't have much turbo lag with my setup as the motor is all done well before 6k rpms.

GT422_full.jpg

You have a fairly small A/R which is good for quick spool up, but 102mm on the other end is going to cause some serious lag and your motor is done at 5650?

Maybe those 408 cubes will get things spooled up quicker than the 180 cubes I am used to working with.

I would go with a large 3 core air to air like the one ATI uses for there procharger kits. As for the exuast i would go 4" single. there should be plenty of room. Some of it has to be made is all. You could start with the 57pph injectors and see were they will max out you might be ok. It will be easier to get it tuned and running on smaller injectors like the 57's. Then max them out and get the bigger ones and re-tune. The small ports on the truck manifolds would be nice for velocity and a quicker spool. Othere then that I would go with custom headers and make room and place the turbo better. Remeber if you can, coat them to reduce under hood temps. Under hood temps will be a big factor in how much boost you can run with maximum timing. Do everything you can to keep the intake temps down and run a good 3 core intercooler and you will be able to run that 15psi with a good dyno tune. No mail order for you that is if you want it to run good. As far as mufflers go I agree with Zippy. Also Edelbrock makes a nice 4" muffler that will keep things fairly quit.

Starting out with the idea of using the stock truck manifolds, that may change as things move along. aside from it being a bitch and alot more work, custom headers would probably help for clearance and flow.

Most turbo guys say to stick with the stock cast manifolds to keep up the heat and veolcity. BUT, at some point, those stock manifolds will be hindering your performance. Trial and error. It won't cost anything to start off with the truck manifolds.

How much do those manifolds sell for Richard ?

Its a GM part, 88958675

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1...&Category_ID=11

Thats not too bad a price either. I've seen it listed for less on other sites too.

the gt42 is a fairly big turbo it is bigger than the garrett t-70 but smaller than the t-76. The extra cubic inch will make it make a pretty fast spool up. Also with that compressor side of the turbo you can run in the 74% efficiency range to 3.8 bar, which is like 42 lbs of boast, which is crazy. this is a very efficient turbo. in my opinion this turbo could put you into the 10's if everything else is dialed in properly.

As for intercoolers i ran across this guy who makes intercoolers, but if you know how to weld, they aren't to bad to make yourself.

there is a twin magnacharger setup that looks pretty cool.

http://www.toohighpsi.com/coolers/index.htm

Take a look at Alky Control in St. Petersburg, FL. Julio Dom (owner) got his car (I believe its a Buick GN) up to 32psi with stock heads and cam, in Florida heat -- on 93 octane.

The ATI kit is great if you tow a lot, etc. Otherwise, I'd be looking at methanol injection. The kit from Julio is about 1/3 the cost of the ATI kit.

I think your injectors are plenty good if you have a pump as well. They are even better with the meth kit (as it adds extra fuel in addition to reducing IAT).

Since its all custom and you have plenty of engine bay room to work with, I'd be tempted to run a dual intercooler config. Stick a higher flowing small air to air intercooler behind the bumper opening, then run a good air water setup. That would hopefully give you more time before the water cooler gets heat soaked.

Archived