Tips For Driving On Ice/Snow

SilveradoEsEs

I live in North Texas and we got hit with sleet/freezing rain Monday night and most of the day Tuesday. We've had ice on the roads ever since. I've ventured out several times on the ice and consider myself a decent "ice trucker", but I've seen some folks doing some foolish things. We in the South don't get to hone our skills as well as folks to our North. Some obstacles I've come up against the last couple of days are - having to stop on slight inclines and restart (dang near impossible with 2wd) - braking on down hill slopes (saw a couple of run-away vehicles "skating" downhill) - turning into off camber drives and plowing/sliding a little.

I'm interested in what folks do to prepare for driving on ice. Do you carry sand for emergency traction? Do you "air down" the tires? What works? How do you deal with the abs? Does it really help on the ice? :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Lower air in the tires helps get traction by adding more surace area to make contact with the ground but will reduce the life of the tires. That tactic is good to use in town but stay off the highway with it. Never use cruise control on snow or ice...EVER. ABS does help in the sense that it allows you to steer the vehicle while sliding whereas locking up the tires forces the vehicle into a straight skid, otherwise another option is to place the vehicle into neutral when applying stopping power as it removes all engine power from the transmission. Mostly the best advice is use common sense. If it is snowing or icy slow down and increase the distance between yourself and other vehicles. Make sure the tires are applicable for the weather. 99 percent of problems caused on the roadway are operator error. Just drive reasonable and prudent for the conditions that are present.

I am writing from the North Montana Hi-line and we are had temps of -42 a few days ago and over 70 inches of snow so far and I do consider winter driving second nature but many up here still forget how so I can only imagine what how the fine folks there in Texas drive to winter conditions when rarely ever encountered. Frankly most of the people I deal with are in trucks that go 70 mph in the 70 mph zone regardless of weather conditions because they have 4 wheel drive. Just because they can go better doesn't mean they can stop better. Just be a defensive driver in harsh conditions and be wary of others.

Edited by hi-line-ss (see edit history)

The 2 biggest mistakes I see are: #1 People going to fast, and #2 people using there brakes too much

If its Icy outside, Slow Down! Make sure you give extra difference between cars. Gear down when going down hills or coming to a stop. Use the Compression of the Engine to Slow you down not the brakes. Also in the snow and Ice. Turn Traction Control Off!! it can couse the brakes to lock up and put you into a skid. And watch out for other dirvers, you might know how to drive in the snow but that does not mean everyon else does. Trust me i got ran into earlier this winter

During the winter i put on studs. They are not 100% necessary but I have them so why not use them. I use to put sand bags in my truck to help weigh it down but they really dont help that much. Now if my truck was 2WD i would drive with lots of weight in the back (but I would never own a 2wd truck anyway because of where I live). I really dont think letting air out of your tires really does much. actually in heavy snow you want more air becasue it actually makes your tires more narrow and will help cut down into the snow where you can get traction. My normal tires on my SS are 305's but my studs are 245's

2010-11-21_08-03-54_757.jpg

#2 people using there brakes too much

The best thing I ever learned in EVOC.

Gas Good, Brake Bad ... Words to live by.

Gas will get you out of more things then brakes can.

I don't mean throttle the piss out of it, but squeeze into the throttle and you'll be fine ... :thumbs:

If you are coming to a red light or stop sign, brake early, lightly.....better insurance that you will be able to stop. Also, at curves in the road, coast throught them, no gas or brake.

CLEAN THE SNOW AND ICE OFF OF YOUR VEHICLE, INCLUDING THE ROOF! I can't tell you how aggravating it is to have snow/ice come crashing into the front of my truck because another motorist was too damn lazy to clean their car off. :mad:

One word... Giver.

Kidding. You just have to be smooth. Nothing sudden. Steer smooth, brake smooth, throttle smooth, you'll be alright.

But then when no one is beside you in the other lane, half way around a corner, you are required to opener up a little to get a nice 4 wheel slide going. It's your duty as a SSS owner. How else are you gonna get used to how it handles?

But then when no one is beside you in the other lane, half way around a corner, you are required to opener up a little to get a nice 4 wheel slide going. It's your duty as a SSS owner. How else are you gonna get used to how it handles?

I save that driving for the empty parking lots! Did that yesterday with the wife. She covered her eyes with both hands while I did a 720 spin across half the parking lot. :crackup:

Seriously though, ice is a mother to get a slide going. I stab the gas and cut the wheel and the truck just keeps plowing straight ahead. :peelout:

diggerdan11, I read an article once that said exactly what you said regarding narrow tires. Narrow tires get better ice/snow traction than wide tires because of the extra downforce on the more narrow contact patch.

Pretty much exactly what others have said, but I've learned with my SS that if you ever for any reason have to panic stop on ice/snow and you slam on the brakes to slow down don't continue to hold them down. I usually give the pedal some pumps which causes the ABS to turn off (temporary) and from what I can tell stops you quicker in some cases. Also be very careful with the 2wd on the highway with ice, if you attempt to pass someone in 2wd its likely that your back end can spin out and get you in trouble quick. I've seen it happen way to many times to other drivers and trucks right in front of me on the highway they start skidding sideways toward the ditch, then there tires catch an edge and the truck rolls over. ughdance.gif Definitely add some weight to the rear since your 2WD. Hope that helps!

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

All great tips above.

I'd also like to add I keep my 4x2 trucks gas tank full- I like the added weight, plus if I were to get stuck I could stay warm "a lil longer" until I get help.

Also, some drivers down here in TX anyways, seem to have short tunnel vision. That is, they don't look further ahead or out to the side streets when they are driving. It helps to be able to anticipate what might happen BEFORE you get there. For example, if you are approaching an intersection, look to the side streets. There might be a vehicle traveling too fast or out of control about to slide through your path of travel. Anticipate a light turning red or make a smart decision to go through a "orange light" if the side traffic is all stopped and if your sudden stopping may cause you to lose control. Those sorts of planned ahead decisions can help you avoid loss of control of your vehicle and/or another fellow motorist slamming into you...

:thumbsup:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Easy on the brakes. Don't brake when sliding gas it to pull yourself out.we always say, when in doubt floor out put, ya don't really want to floor It tho.its just a saying lol.alt of people put sandbags of cinder blocks in the backs of there tricks to get a little more traction.a good set of tires are always a plus.best thing I've found for winter driving would have to be my awd sss.