Total Noob Needs Help Lowering

haul@ss

ok my dad's ss, soon to be mine, is in need of getting laid... er... lowered... just a little so that when i get 22s, it space between the tires and the fenders wont be so spacious.. after asking on ls1tech, they suggested probably a 2/4 drop kit from hotchkis or mcgauphy.. like any other, i dont want the wheels/tires to be scraping anything so will this all work out? what other opinions/advice do you all have?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok my dad's ss, soon to be mine, is in need of getting laid... er... lowered... just a little so that when i get 22s, it space between the tires and the fenders wont be so spacious.. after asking on ls1tech, they suggested probably a 2/4 drop kit from hotchkis or mcgauphy.. like any other, i dont want the wheels/tires to be scraping anything so will this all work out? what other opinions/advice do you all have?

Try a search, many on here have lowered their ss's in a couple of different ways. :thumbs:

I have the Mcgaughys drop too and am running 22's no problem here

2/4 well actually its 2/3.5 is as low as you can go on the AWD trucks before you begin to damage the front driveshaft joints. just FYI

As mentioned before you will have to cut the rear bumpstops down to about 3/4" but I also suggest that you remove the bump stop brackets and mount the bump stop directly to the frame. It will give you more travel and you will not bottom out so much.

Good luck

Jonathan

one question.. which kit do i get?!!! im looking around and seeing that others are getting the

99+-2/4 DELUXE  $384 ...

but on the pricelist, its shows:

2004 CHEVY SS TRUCK AWD 

#SS2E  $214

#SS2D  $385

is that because others are 03 ss?

one question.. which kit do i get?!!! im looking around and seeing that others are getting the
99+-2/4 DELUXE  $384 ...

but on the pricelist, its shows:

2004 CHEVY SS TRUCK AWD 

#SS2E  $214

#SS2D  $385

is that because others are 03 ss?

i called mcgaughys some time ago, before i bought my kit and talked with mike mcgaughy about the kits, pros and cons. from what he said, you can't lower the SS any further than 2" all around (2" front and 2" rear) otherwise you will be messing with the driveline angles. the reason being is that the suspension system along with the AWD is a little touchy. you can drop a AVY or a Escalade 2/4 no problem, just not the SS (unless you dumped a lot of money into it)

so...from that part number, using common sense from the rest of their part numbers it would lead me to believe that the SS2E is the economy 2" lower. and the SS2D is the deluxe 2" lowering kit for the SS...and i would assume that would be for either 2003-2004 (the year really shouldn't matter). and my guess as to what is different between the 99+-2/4 DELUXE and the SS2D is that the shackles and hangers only have one hole in them...so that you do not make the mistake of droping the truck further than suggested....but that is just my best guess....

give em a call...i am sure they are the best source for answering questions...

Phone: 559.226.8196

I talked to McGaughy's yesterday and they said I need the SS2D kit for my 03 SS. She told me it is a 2/4 drop and includes the spindles, shackles and hangers. There is no need to replace the original shocks according to them. The price of the kit is now $395.00 plus shipping. It went up July 1st but they have not yet updated the web site.

I talked to McGaughy's yesterday and they said I need the SS2D kit for my 03 SS. She told me it is a 2/4 drop and includes the spindles, shackles and hangers. There is no need to replace the original shocks according to them. The price of the kit is now $395.00 plus shipping. It went up July 1st but they have not yet updated the web site.

i thought you were selling your rig autoguy??? :wtf:

The Escalade EXT I was looking at wasn't in the condition I was looking for. Almost 30k miles, It was an 02, and I didn't want pewter. I also could not see spending an additional 10K to go from a 2003 SS with 6k to that. The numbers just didn't make sense.

I also just bought a 2004 Sierra CC/LB Duramax/Allison that gives me the space I was looking for in the EXT interior. Now the SS will just be a fair weather toy.

Although the McGaughy's kit says 2/4" it can be 2/3 or 2/3.5 by changing the mounting of the springs in the shackles and drop hangers. I did lower hole on the hanger and shackles for the least drop and I still got about a 3" drop.

thanks for all this helpful info! i got a pm saying :

LOWERING CAN BE DONE WITH EAR SHACKLES AND ADJUST TORSION BARS FOR UNDER $100.00

did anyone else do this? is there a big difference? pros... cons...?

im not planning on spendin a great load of money on just lowering because i need to get a lid, wheels, etc... so.. which do yall think is the best solution..??

and thanks for the number, ill give em a call soon

hey , i did the torsion drop. just loosened them up and then had the front end realigned and it drives fine, the front feels a tad bit loose but i think i have my bars a little too loose, could use a turn or two for tightening but all around i spent right at $100 for the rear drop shackles and the front end alignment and i got two inches all the way around.pretty god deal i thought. haveing a lift at your disposal helps alot though.

thanks for all this helpful info! i got a pm saying :

LOWERING CAN BE DONE WITH EAR SHACKLES AND ADJUST TORSION BARS FOR UNDER $100.00

did anyone else do this? is there a big difference? pros... cons...?

im not planning on spendin a great load of money on just lowering because i need to get a lid, wheels, etc... so.. which do yall think is the best solution..??

and thanks for the number, ill give em a call soon

I did the same thing...I spent a total of 70$ for everything, excluding labor because I did it myself....I got a 2 inch drop in the front, and a 2 inch drop in the rear using belltech shackles..i am extremely satisfied..I had to do a little bit of cutting in the fender wells because I am running 24s, but simple work and now no rub....Check it out if you want, its under the pictures section under PICS AFTER DROP posted by xxJiggaxx

JK

Archived