Total Noob Needs Help Lowering

haul@ss

So for you two that did the torsion bar drop...you had to change shackles in the back? The shop that did my gaylord lid said they could do a 2" all around just by adjusting the torsion bars. I thought he was full of shit. Was he full of shit or is there more to it than that? They had a '03 1500 in the shop "they just completed only adjusting the torsion bars." It looked good. But I wouldn't be able to tell what they really did. Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok thanks. so can i only get 2 inches all around if i do the torsion drop? or even 3?

does anyone know any good shops in anchorage that are pretty good?

hey lefty, i just noticed your location lol. what shop were talkin about? i dont know any other shops here really except for shades of competition, that other one on lake otis near abbot... and some really small ones... i need to find someone to do my installations and probably even some custom fab.. know of any?

For custom fab, paint, and drop I would go to TNT Bodyworks. Probably the same shop you were talking about...Tom's on 88th near Lake Otis & Abbott.

I was talking about MGM. They are mostly a Ford & Dodge place (but 1 of only 2 Gaylord's Lids shops up here) so I wouldn't go there for custom work on your SS.

I have some stuff over at TNT being painted for the SS and am going to talk to Tom about doing the drop and see what he has to say.

the hardest part of the torsion bar drop is installing the shackles(which you will have to do in order to make your rear match your front). i had to remove the trailer hitch in order to install the shacklse but i was able to do the entire process in about an hour and a half. have a little experience with that type of suspension but anyone can do it with basic knowledge. not a hard install at all. make sure4 both of the torsion bars are evenly losened and be sure to ge the front end aligned when you get done. i will post a pic of my truck as soon as i remeber to bring the disk of pics to work. you should be able to get the drop shackles almost anywhere, i got mine at pep boys for about $45 and they are belltech.

Alright guys...I have decided to do the shackle/torsion drop. Belltech lists part number 6400 for their shacles. I have seen other sites (Stylin, Sporttruck, etc...) also list a requirement for a Pinion Shim kit 4975BLT for the extended cab 1/2 ton Chevy's.

My question, do I need the shim kit? I have not seen any of you mention this so I was just curious.

Alright guys...I have decided to do the shackle/torsion drop. Belltech lists part number 6400 for their shacles. I have seen other sites (Stylin, Sporttruck, etc...) also list a requirement for a Pinion Shim kit 4975BLT for the extended cab 1/2 ton Chevy's.

My question, do I need the shim kit? I have not seen any of you mention this so I was just curious.

I didn't use the shim kit. Some have, some haven't. I would start w/o it.

Thanks benkey, unfortunately i am stationed in Norfolk, VA :flag: for the next couple of years. but i am from fairhope, AL :cheers: .

i have never heard about the shims so obviously i didn't use them. i have had mine lowred this way for a little over 10 months and no problems yet. oh yea , gotta post some old photos of my truck, got t-boned going through an intersection two days ago, it will be in the body shop for about two or three weeks! :nonod:

dang good luck lefty! hope everything works out well. let me know how it all goes.

as for me, i might have to wait till next summer to get everything because my dads a little hard headed... talking about how if we lower it, itll drag snow and thats not the purpose of a truck... blah blah.. :sigh:

dang good luck lefty! hope everything works out well. let me know how it all goes.

as for me, i might have to wait till next summer to get everything because my dads a little hard headed... talking about how if we lower it, itll drag snow and thats not the purpose of a truck... blah blah.. :sigh:

I drove mine lowered all last winter. Trust me, it's still a truck, and high enough to clear snow. :thumbs:

Archived