Suggestions Please..

Ok, you all know my transmission is running very hot on the highway, and the highway only. Around town it stays about 165 to 175, but at highway speeds of 70 plus it gets to 215 to 225 (truck alone) pretty quick and 245 to 250 (trailering.)

My question would be what could have gone wrong with the Stall converter install or the shift kit install that would do this?

It never did this until the Stall converter and shift kit was installed.

What should I do??

I hope it is an easy fix. lol

As far as I can tell I did the shift kit right, and a transmission shop did the converter swap. I seen someone asked if the checkball was removed in the shaft when the converter swap was done. What does that mean, so I know what to ask the guy that did my converter swap?

Anything else it might be??

I also have the following codes that I have to erase all of the time, Whenever I do some highway driving anyway.

I get the following codes;

2-- of P0420-Cat Eff below threshold Bank 1

2-- of P0430-Cat Eff below threshold Bank 2

2-- of P0894-Transmission Comp Sliping

1-- of P0741- Torque Converter CKT Performance or Stuck off

Could I have theese codes (or any) taken care of with a new tune??

If I have to have the transmission pulled out to have the work that was done all checked out I think I will bring it to a bigger Name transmission Shop and do a whole beef up rebuild to make it worth wild.

If so, Zippy can you hook me up with a good price on all the parts that I should change to make her take the beating she is going to take with the Nitrous. And if I had all the Parts what would be an average price a Transission shop should charge to do the R&R and rebuild?

Also about how much would all the rebuild (Beef up) pieces cost?

I already have the converter, shift kit and billit servo's

Thanks for any suggestions.. :cheers:

Or should I just stip off all the performance parts I put on it and trade her in :smash: ..lol ;)

Bill-03-SD

Bill,

I'm thinking the TC clutch isn't locking. I wonder if there's a connector that came loose or disconnected when you did the shift kit? Anyone know if there is a connector and where it is?

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Can't help with the problems. All my parts cost in the neighborhood of $700 and to have installed was $550. You can see the parts I ordered in an old thread I started about a tranny build up.

i can get you better parts to put in there, but i'd chase down this problem first. i'd recomend pulling the converter valve back out and checking to make sure it's in there just as the instructions say. also check for a cut seal on the tcc solenoid. from those numbers the converter clutch surely isn't locking. it could also be a problem with the seal on the input shaft. one way or another the tcc isn't locking up. i'd recomend chasing that down first then go on with a build up from there.

yah, it shouldn't be too much trouble to drop the pan and check all the solenoid connectors and such. A little more painful to pull the valve body again...

When I did my shift kit - the first time I put it back together I had a solenoid error (don't recall the exact code) and the 1-2 shift was funny. I took it back apart and found that one of the separator plate gaskets was slightly damaged and allowing fluid to flow where it shouldn't. I replaced that gasket and my problem was fixed. I also torqued the valve body just a hair tighter than spec to make sure those gaskets were sealed good this time.

Good luck with yours.

I had a friend look up that code and the P0741 is either a sticking PWM TCC valve in the valve body, damaged exhaust orifice, damaged valve body gasket, restricted apply passage or the actual converter. The most common problem is a sticking TCC apply valve in the valve body.

He recommends the best diagnosis is with a scan tool--observe actual slippage on

scanner!

Give me a call Bill and we can discuss this in more detail.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Thanks guys for the replies..

I guess I will have to drop the pan again and check it all out.

The big thing is I don't know dick about the inside of transmissions and I was so happy when I had it all back together and it went through the gears fine. I was stressing the whole time I had it apart, wondering if I would be able to get it all back together right. And also saying to myself why didn't I just pay the guy that put in my converter the $120.00 he said he would have done the shift kit for.

I just hate paying for work that I can see if someone really did or not. I have had more than one bad experience over the years of paying for something that was never done. :rolleyes:

Thinking about it, I really don't want to take the valve body down again since I haven't got a clue to what I was doing the first time. I might mess it up more if I try it again.

I think I would rather spend this coming weekend stripping off all the performance parts that I have installed, (minus touching the tranny again) and trade her in next week on something else.

The thing that will suck the most is I just paid the truck off last Friday after I sold my Lightning. So this is the first time in like 18 years that I don't have a car payment anymore. Oh well, it has been nice for not having one this week. lol

We will see what happens.. :sick:

Bill-03-SD

Thanks guys for the replies..

I guess I will have to drop the pan again and check it all out.

The big thing is I don't know dick about the inside of transmissions and I was so happy when I had it all back together and it went through the gears fine. I was stressing the whole time I had it apart, wondering if I would be able to get it all back together right. And also saying to myself why didn't I just pay the guy that put in my converter the $120.00 he said he would have done the shift kit for.

I just hate paying for work that I can see if someone really did or not. I have had more than one bad experience over the years of paying for something that was never done. :rolleyes:

Thinking about it, I really don't want to take the valve body down again since I haven't got a clue to what I was doing the first time. I might mess it up more if I try it again.

I think I would rather spend this coming weekend stripping off all the performance parts that I have installed, (minus touching the tranny again) and trade her in next week on something else.

The thing that will suck the most is I just paid the truck off last Friday after I sold my Lightning. So this is the first time in like 18 years that I don't have a car payment anymore. Oh well, it has been nice for not having one this week. lol

We will see what happens.. :sick:

Bill-03-SD

Have you seen the cat lately?

:jester:

Believe me, Bill, we all know the feeling :thumbs: You'll get it done.

Thanks guys for the vote of confidense, I will give it some thought before I start stripping her this weekend.. :devil:

I do really like this truck, so I will most likely stick around and try to get it fix right. :cheers:

And the "Don't be a Pu$$y" remark did make me laugh..lol :thumbs:

Bill-03-SD

Bill, Put the stock converter back in it. Then lets hit the track with the nos. Have them fix the tranny. Do you stil have the warranty on it. I have a couple tanks filled up and ready for action.

Evan,

Come on brother :nono: Why would I want to go and do that??

If the 2600 comes out for any reason a 3000 to 3200 stall will be going in in its place.

Then I would have a .2 second or more edge over what you are running for a converter and will be back to being the quicker truck.. :jester:

I have decided to tuff it out for now, we (a couple guys from here that I have been talking to offline, and I would like to take this moment to thank them for all their ideas and time they have given me :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: ) think it is pressure related for sure. The converter is locking up, I did the highway driving thing where I kept it at a certain rpm 3000 for my test in overdrive and tapped the brake and the rpm's went up to about 3200 and about 2 to 3 seconds they dropped back down to 3000. So from what I was told the converter is locking up.

I am going to have the valve body (shift kit install) checked out by a tranny shop and we are hoping it is just the gasket or plate not lined up perfect and it will cure my problem.

I am going to call a tranny shop tomorrow and see when they can squeeze me in to inspect my work. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was an era on my part and that it is an easy fix for them.

Wish me luck, if it isn't that then the tranny will be coming out and I will have it all gone through with better parts and a higher stall. And then if it still does it I will run her into a tree and get something else. :smash: .lol

But I think it is best to try everything I can before I give up on her... :cheers:

Thanks again guys for the help and time.. :flag:

Bill-03-SD

Archived